Bottega Veneta F/W 2018.19 by Fabien Baron

bluebanter

Reaction score
Titled “Intuition,” the new campaign features three short films that are made to be consumed on multiple platforms, putting the season’s stories always at the audience’s fingertips.

The three films of “Intuition” are titled “Blackout,” “Doubles” and “Attrazione.” All embody the essential brand themes of Mystery, Sophistication, Architecture, Sensuality and Surrealism. The characters come alive in these stories of intuition and attraction. The viewer can sense the intrigue and passion in each story. Their chemistry is driven by instinct and an innate understanding of each other—and further fueled by the intensity of the dramatic environments. The products also become characters, caught in the moments between man and woman.
Self and self.

“Intuition” was directed by Fabien Baron and stars up-and-coming British model Fran Summers, German model Tim Schuhmacher and Korean model Sora Choi. The team of collaborators includes Oscar-nominated cinematographer Phillipe Le Sourd and renowned set designer Stefan Beckman,
both of whom worked with Baron last season.
source: Bottega Veneta® - Art_of_collaboration_fall_winter_2018

Directed by Fabien Baron
Starring: Fran Summers, Tim Schumacher, and Sora Choi
Cinematographer: Phillipe Le Sourd
Set Design: Stefan Beckman

zswaogC.jpg

jyLAO08.jpg

Sometimes less is more! I imagine Sora and Tim'c shots in single format, spread across two pages and it just look spectacular!
The collage layout really ruins most of the magic because there's actually nothing wrong with the shots.

The short vid is so cinematic though. Fran! :heart::heart::heart:

BV has stepped it up. Sora was fantastic for their SS18 ads so I’m not surprised she’s booked FW18. I do agree the collage is a bit much, but the video makes up for it.

This cast has talent! And kudos to Fabien for his continuous creative efforts. I'm pleasantly surprised at Fran. She has such a classic movie star look, and girl knows how to emote. Tim looks great too. I also love the contrast of that old Hollywood feels in the scenes of Tim and Fran with the futuristic vibes of Sora's. It feels like a merging of two worlds! Love the fantasy. Sora made the campaign for me last season and she brought the feels here again. Glad she rebooked this.

What I love about this is that there is a defined artistic concept here, yet the products do not get lost. Even in those settings, i still look at the products, and think - glam (like in that walking scene of Fran at the start). It's a little sad that we might not see these kind of ads again with Tomas Maier leaving.

Tim is just incredible in these ads.

It's a little sad that we might not see these kind of ads again with Tomas Maier leaving.

If you haven't already, make some plans to get Bottega Veneta's campaign coffee table book, Art of Collaboration, which Tomas put together. It's quite a find and covers the brand's print campaigns. I'm also a bit sad over his departure because he had a penchant for cinematic style, really valued the campaign collabs, and gave the photographers as much creative freedom possible. It's sad that the last few Baron campaigns won't make the cut.

Oh I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

Sometimes less is more! I imagine Sora and Tim'c shots in single format, spread across two pages and it just look spectacular!
The collage layout really ruins most of the magic because there's actually nothing wrong with the shots.

Its because they want the print campaign to get people to watch the videos. So essentially the purpose of the print ad is to make it as obvious as possible that this is a video campaign

Its because they want the print campaign to get people to watch the videos. So essentially the purpose of the print ad is to make it as obvious as possible that this is a video campaign

I can see that to be true, and most likely pushed by a suit. I think from a creative pov, the wrestle whether videos should be an extension of the print campaign, or autonomous, is very real. It's interesting to me because visual campaigns are becoming increasingly necessary as we expand into the digital age. In this case it was really not needed, tbh. I mean, it's Baron. The man thrives on cinematic elements.

The last three years of Steven Meisel at VI (2014-16) was really something to behold when it came to the print/vid crossover. I'm not sure whether he employed his own videography team, or outsourced, but whoever it was did an amazing job of tying the print and video components together. And not in an obvious way. The May 2015 cuisine issue, Carolyn Murphy's dark Holiday shoot. These accompanying videos perfectly mimicked his print shots while still remaining oddly unique. Naturally the same happened with his campaign work for Prada and Coach at the time. I particularly liked that it set a standard. One which not many seem able to adopt. Like M&M shooting Kendall Jenner earlier this year, but Charlotte Wales doing the cover video. The two were like chalk and cheese and going with Wales seemed a cost cutting exercise, but visually I appreciated the video aesthetic far more than the print shots. Of course, if I were to watch it on mute, that is!

I’m in love with Fabien’s beautiful… mind. The video is impossibly lush.

Like the SS one, I loathe the layout for the print campaign. It completely diminishes the Hitchcockian imagery. Just choose one shot and use that as a spread for the print campaign. (If the intention is to promote the video with the print campaign-- and I doubt that, simply include “Watch the films BottegaVeneta.com”.)

I agree this would be much better without that collage! They have great shots, they don't need to add anything else!

YASS!!! This is what I've been waiting for! I can always count on Maier's BV to produce a campaign so rooted in cinematic indulgence and high-octane melodrama. Too bad we won't be seeing anything as inspired as this in the future.

Does anyone know if Baron will continue to work with BV with Maier leaving?

Bottega Veneta F/W 18 Campaign: Intuition
Film # 1: "Blackout"
by Fabien Baron
Models: Sora Choi & Tim Schumacher

Does anyone know if Baron will continue to work with BV with Maier leaving?

I’m not sure but I doubt it. It’s very rare for new directors to continue using the same team.

I mean this video is everything!!!!

Love the new short movie! Very cinematic and makes you wonder what happened

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riska21
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->