Brazilian Music (Bossa Nova, Samba, etc)

Urban Stylin

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ
Reaction score
help me. am searching for titles to some of those popular samba and bossa nova songs that they use on ftv especially when showing those brazillian shows. also that French music that is similar to bossa nova. any artistes and their songs r gonna be appreciated
merci:P

I ADORE Luiz Bonfá.. :blush::heart:

here's a small compilation from him..

how about pierre barouh/saravah label for french bossa?

francis lai etc?

brazillian? I like Tom Jobim ( especially the song: Garota de Ipanema/ Girl from Ipanema ) :wink:

well Urban Stylin i'm going to help you ^_^

I also like:

Elis Regina (for example, this song->) - "Madalena"

Maria Rita (elis regina's daughter, but her music it's not only popular samba it is jazz too) - "a festa"

JP Simões (he is portuguese but it's bossa nova too) - "Fábula Bêbada"

Teresa Salgueiro (she is portuguese too, she has a new album with a few popular samba songs, those songs are not samples, they are all covers) - “Você e Eu”

Caetano Veloso - "Samba de verão"

Chico Buarque - "construção"

(as I said before.. I likeTom Jobim )

unfortunately I don't know any french music similar to bossa nova ( I only know Edith Piaf and Charles Aznavour :( shame on me!).

i searched for luiz bonfa and found great music! let me look out for the other recommended artistes...thanks alot pple!! next time u hav a query with african music u knw whom to go to.>>

help me. am searching for titles to some of those popular samba and bossa nova songs that they use on ftv especially when showing those brazillian shows. also that French music that is similar to bossa nova. any artistes and their songs r gonna be appreciated
merci:P

"Astrud Gilberto and Tom Jobim - Agua de beber" is one of the popular ones

french music similar to bossanova..
Pink Martini has really good music some in french some in english other spanish you should hear them

^oh yes, I echo Pink Martini, they've channeled just about every beat from South and Central America (cuban, tango, bossa nova, you name it :ninja:). :heart:

these are very good

christiane legrand / of smiles and tears

legran_chri_ofsmilesa_101b.jpg

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php...amp;incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1&x=14&y=9

les masques / brasilian sound

lesmasquesw_brasilian_101b.jpg

french chorus group, les masques in collaboration with jazz bossa combo, camara

(out of stock, no description here, but I think it's not difficult to find the CD)
http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=dgqg3xy5zj

I'm still not sure what kind of french music you are referring to.
but you might also like these french albums where some brazilian/bossa elements are scattered nicely.

jeanne moreau / jeanne chante jeanne

moreau_jean_jeannecha_101b.jpg

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php...er=jeanne+moreau&incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1

jacques loussier / tu seras terriblement gentille

41KGSEH5B2L._AA240_.jpg

amazon

michel legrand / love is a ball

img6.asp

hmv.co.jp

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=gyvv5vmjm7&ref=upcoming.php

brigitte bardot / bb

bardot_brig_bbjapanes_101b.jpg

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php...au&incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1&anchor=453153

I just like to mention Sergio Mendes and brasil 66 aswell.

As much as I enjoy bossa nova, does anyone else feel that it can be slightly "elevator" music at times?

sometimes it does sound like elevator/ hotel lounge music...has that relaxing vibe to it
Sergio Mendes is also quite gd.

Can some of our Brazilian members recommend me some good quality national bands/singers?, not necessarily traditional (I already love that :P).. more current, national rock (though not really trendy a la CSS), the stuff you can hear when young people gather at houses to drink and have a good time.. probably not my best reference but hopefully it makes some sense. :lol:

I might stop by Brazil again next year but I wish to explore it properly this time and to be already familiarised with music, and for now, take it as a departing point for learning more about the country.
Anyway, I love sparklehorse, sonic youth, dylan, gainsbourg, all that.. if it helps when thinking of some recommendation. I also appreciate good lyricism (that can hopefully teach me some Portuguese!).

Well, there are some rock bands I like, don't know if you already know them.

Cazuza
Titãs
Paralamas do Sucesso
Skank

All of them still exist, except for the first one, because he's dead. They all have great songs :heart:

:woot: thank you!!, I was worried my request would go unnoticed!.
I listened to cazuza and titãs on youtube and it sounded more or less like the stuff I was hoping to get :heart:, I'm downloading exagerado by cazuza and titãs is not coming but.. it will. :alien:

thanks again, ckgirlbr.. :heart:

My favorite brazilian rock bands are Charlie Brown Jr. (If you're going to download some musics of them I would indicate "Quebra-Mar", "Vícios e Virtudes" & "Só Por Uma Noite", these are some of their oldest songs ... their latest work is no that good) & Skank.
If you're searching for some kind of bossa nova music I would indicate Mariana Aydar (IMO she's the best bossa nova singer nowadays).
If you are looking for Samba I would indicate Zeca Pagodinho, Diogo Nogueira & Seu Jorge. And for hip-hop mixed with samba I would tell you to listen Marcelo D2.
MPB (Popular Brazilian Music) artists I would indicate Marisa Monte (she has an amazing voice), Djavan & Kid Abelha.
If you're looking for Baile Funk music I would indicate Mc Koringa.
If you're looking for Axé I think you should listen to Ivete Sangalo, she's the best of this style of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mihxxen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->