• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Customisations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in need of a summer jacket so I bought this wool jacket from a charity shop and cut the sleeves off.
The only thing is, the short sleeves are oddly shaped (as is apparent on picture two) - I think it's the lining underneath causing the major wrinkles etc - I pinned down hems on the lining material and the wool and then pinned them facing each other, then managed to hand sew the lining to the hem of the wool as so the stitches weren't visible.
What's the reason it's making these weird creases?

photo411.jpg

photo417.jpg

nice fabric

looks like it might just too big
are you able to push all the extra fabric into one fold --if so, you can create a pleat or dart

you then will probably have to remove the whole sleeve off the suit

wow that is a nice transformation just by cuttin the sleeves off.

i believe that when you did the stitching to join the lining and the wool fabric you may have moved the fabric, to me it looks like the wrinkles are made because the fabric is twisted since all the creases are pointing to the same direction.

I'd say maybe cut out the lining, unless it's uncomfortable or you need it. I've had the same problem while altering a men's blazer.. it's just soo hard to keep the flimsy lining with the jacket! It looks very nice otherwise. Good idea!

ohh oup :blush: i missed that he did cut the sleeves off

in cases like those we always baste (large hand stitches) the layers of fabric together to keep them from shifting
you can use something like a long pad-stitch, a diagonal stitch. or you can use a running stitch type which is one long stitch and a small one, one long, one small ...

a second idea would be that it is off grain, which is causing the twisting
when you sew it, you have to see that the straight grain is on the centre of the sleeve
the same with the lining

It being twisted is most likely what's happened because when the cropped sleeve is inside out it's hard to tell which direction it's meant to be.
When the lining was pinned to the shell I tried removing some of the pins and easing down the wool to tighten it at an attempt to smooth the creases but this didn't work and indeed might've cause the front of the sleeve to be higher than the back :rolleyes:

Of course this would never happen if you were making the jacket/sleeves from scratch..

Cutting out the lining is quite a good idea because this is a summer jacket, though the stitching would be visible. I shall try and redo the sleeves by unpicking the stitching and moving the lining around a bit inside to see if it makes a difference to the creases.
You're very helpful guys - love!

id say dont cut of the lining because the linin is the same shape of the fabric
(unless you cut it wrong) and if you do a regular hem it wont fold up the same way, because it isnt a straight cut sleeve, its getting tighter as it gets longer so if you cut it , like you did and fold it up the wideness of the sleeve wont match, therefore if you make a hem at this point it wont look well, actually worse than now.

to make sure it isnt twisted you an make little marks measuring it then when its inside out ou can still see the marks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently working on vest that I'm adding chains to. I bought the vest for $5 and so did a lot of my friends, so I read Park and Cube tutorial on adding chains to denim shorts a la Alexander Wang. Instead of adding chains to shorts, I'm doing it to my denim vest. I've already added rips with a knife, I just need to get sand paper to make denim look more worn out, because it's fairly new and stiff. Then I will add the chains.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I need some assistance for an iron-on transfer I'm going to administer on both a t-shirt and canvas bag.
I have an image with text that I was going to transfer on but I decided to ask my question first before I go along with it just to be safe!
My question is: is it necessary to flip an image (especially considering my image has text included in it) horizontally before printing it on the special iron-on transfer paper and ironing it onto the t-shirt?
Thanks.

oh yeah! if you dont flip it your tshirt will end up with the text flipped and unable to read. you definitely need to flip every image you want to iron on unles its symmetric

I heart NY

When my friend went to New York, i asked her to buy me one of those
"I heart NY" tees ... and i have been wanting to just do something to it!!

Do you have any ideas?!?!!? I was thinking of shredding it...
But please ideas...?

hey there...
welcome to DIY-

i've merged your question with an existing thread...
hopefully you will find some good ideas...
in future please do a search before starting a new thread...

thanks and good luck with your project...

:flower:

from a thrifted dress shirt...cut off the sleeves & outer part of the collar, made two holes over the shoulders which i bordered w/diy studs that tfser waxy gave me, and took in the back a little so the shirt is more fitted. cut the french cuffs off the discarded sleeves to wear as bracelets w/silver cufflinks.

studs.jpg

fashoff. IMMENSE.

I bought this vintage Dereta mohair coat with a damanged fur lining yesterday but it was too big for me.. and pretty shapeless. Anyway, I took six inches out of the back centre seam and four out of the fur, leaving two for seams. Getting rid of the inches out of the fur also got rid of the damaged parts conveniently!

When the hems were all done I realised for some reason there was a rectangle of fur missing from just below the neck.. So I had to use the leftover cut-out fur to create a sort of patchwork.. That part wasn't too professional and was awfully confusing.

Before:

photo512.jpg

After:

photo527.jpg

Lining:

Before:

photo516b.jpg

After:

photo529.jpg

yesterday i discovered an old pair of my dad's jeans and thought i'd give it a try: sewed them (semi-professional) tighter and rolled up the legs.

3660102119_09b23cff66.jpg

hey! ok, so i have a bunch of tulle, but not enough to make a crinoline skirt or anything to that extent. i would really like to make something with it, but i'm just not sure! any suggestions would be fabulous, thanks! :smile:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chelseaboys
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->