Daniel Lee - Designer, Creative Director of Burberry

....can certain users pls stop trolling and spilling obviously fake tea?
I don't know about the rest, but the falling share prices are right here in black and white.

Via Marketwatch:
U.K. stocks dropped Monday, as the FTSE 100 Index UKX, -0.39% closed down 0.39% at 7,594.91.

Of the FTSE 100 constituents, company Burberry Group PLC BRBY, -5.72% saw the largest decrease Monday, as shares fell 5.72%

Didn't hear anything related to top exec reactions, but I do second what's been said about people allegedly leaving, voluntarily or not. From what I'm told many internally are "surprised it's not taking off", not just in terms of sales but also in terms of brand perception.

i think these execs need to wake up and cotton on to the fact that burberry is an accessible, entry-level designer brand with a straightforwardly bourgeois english heritage. it's not a premier luxury, high fashion proposition à la bottega. who on planet f*cking earth is going to spend upwards of £50k on a viscose dress? get real. the attempt to revive prorsum is a colossal failure.

Last edited:
Probably not a popular opinion, but I think the ready to wear is promising. It's quirky and light hearted, very English. I particularly like the new colours and blown up proportions of the Burberry check. I've been eyeing one of the checked mufflers... unfortunately one of the only items that represents reasonable value.

I do wonder who the new collections are catered for.. It is too fashion forward for baileys clients and it is right in between tiscis evening wear and street wear propositions which were obviously made for 2 different people.

It’s kind of crazy to think that Burberry’s new CEO comes from Versace and though that Burberry could be more expensive than the brand he comes from…
The issue around this is strategic. I think that in terms of design and art direction they are good.
So maybe they could hire Christopher Bailey as the CEO, a position he held if I remember well.

Yes they hired a guy from Hermès and everything this guy did was just to increase Mulberry's retail price. Hermès was mentioned like a millions times when there was any negative news about Mulberry. I guess many people at Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré HQ were pissed haha.

didn't mulberry try the same thing and have it backfire massively? people just don't seem to learn in this business

Lol:

"Shop the official mulberry.com website for timeless British luxury. Discover our classic leather bags, accessories, womenswear and travel collections."

Mulberry ... Burberry ...

Good thing they have such wildly different brand names, identities and cultural backgrounds!

I think the clothing and collections are fine but to echo everyone's sentiments, the pricing killed any momentum. I can't remember the ad campaign as well for the collection, if it has been released that is.

With that said, I can only speak about a friend of a friend that worked at Burberry and was told he was going to be promoted, this was during Tisci, so he was doing projects, etc and then the person who "promised" him he would be getting this position was let go for someone that Daniel brought in. The person that Daniel brought in, brought their own person for said position so now my friend's friend is leaving Burberry voluntarily. The person whom Daniel let go went to another luxury house already(I honestly cannot remember the brand and I can try to find out) and has offered the friend of my friend a job at that house.

There's probably a bit of uncertainty among the employees who were pre-Daniel right now.

I was at Taipei airport and having a good laugh. Burberry store are ridiculously boring and they charge same as Bottega. The revamped BV store is quite nice. Like lets be real here, Burberry is like glorified Coach. Prorsum can add a touch of high fashion but in no way people would buy clothes at Burberry that are more expensive than at LV, Celine or Fendi. You keep dreaming honey

I think the clothing and collections are fine but to echo everyone's sentiments, the pricing killed any momentum. I can't remember the ad campaign as well for the collection, if it has been released that is.

With that said, I can only speak about a friend of a friend that worked at Burberry and was told he was going to be promoted, this was during Tisci, so he was doing projects, etc and then the person who "promised" him he would be getting this position was let go for someone that Daniel brought in. The person that Daniel brought in, brought their own person for said position so now my friend's friend is leaving Burberry voluntarily. The person whom Daniel let go went to another luxury house already(I honestly cannot remember the brand and I can try to find out) and has offered the friend of my friend a job at that house.

There's probably a bit of uncertainty among the employees who were pre-Daniel right now.
In all fairness, this happens at every single luxury brand when the designer changes.

I think what it all boils down to is that mistakes have been made that seem to have killed most of the momentum, both on the design side and on the organisational side. To me these products -like them or not- don't correspond to the price point. Bottega has a 'highest level of skills and quality' image, Italian craftsmanship and design, Burberry simply does not have this, and it won't obtain this kind of image by hiking up the prices. Lee's Burberry products scream 'cool streetwear', not artisanal luxury, no matter how high the prices.

In all fairness, this happens at every single luxury brand when the designer changes.
I’m aware of this as it happens at all companies outside of fashion, my comment was more in response to someone saying the tea was trolling or just gossip when I have actually heard from a reputable source

"She added that Burberry - led by Jonathan Akeroyd - is more exposed than other luxury good groups to 'aspirational' shoppers who are not rich and are being forced to rein in their spending. Burberry has also pursued a strategy of raising prices, which may not be going down well. And then there is the question of whether people like the designs.
There has been a muted response to recent lines designed by chief creative officer Daniel Lee. Burberry could be a takeover target. Whatever happens this will be a critical year for the company."

Another weak point of Burberry has been their communication too.

The Tyrone Lebon recipe worked really well at Bottega, at Burberry (and after having seen him at Miu Miu, Alaia etc) it feels less special.

Then you have these millions of still lifes on their official platforms that don't tell you anything.

I thought they would push way more the "new" Burberry world, but it all feels quite expected and a bit gloomy; when his Bottega was quite dynamic.

It's interesting to notice he uses a lot of people he has worked before at Bottega (photographers, illustrators...), yet the effect just doesn't feel the same.

"She added that Burberry - led by Jonathan Akeroyd - is more exposed than other luxury good groups to 'aspirational' shoppers who are not rich and are being forced to rein in their spending. Burberry has also pursued a strategy of raising prices, which may not be going down well. And then there is the question of whether people like the designs.
There has been a muted response to recent lines designed by chief creative officer Daniel Lee. Burberry could be a takeover target. Whatever happens this will be a critical year for the company."

She described it perfectly! The brand is aspirational and now nobody can’t afford it. And I wonder why they didn’t send things to influencers…
Their new bag is nowhere to be found on peoples arms during FW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
us4848
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->