Do you live in fashion Siberia?

_Yep, Siberia alright! :D

Here you never see anyone sporting a designer bag, not on the streets anyway, so upper market brands are more suported by the jet7 (which is basically garbage here!), because they can afford it and have to show off...

On the streets, people manage with stores like H&M, Zara, Mango, and others such as Diesel, etc. We also have some new designer stores, but not much, or not like people have money to shop a lot on those anyway.

To be honest, i don´t really care that much for brands, what i would like would be more stores with more variety, like the ones you find in London.

during term time i live in london which i love - i can be an uber fashionista :lol: but during the holidays (now) i live in fashion siberia but i dont have to care my neighbours live 7 miles away :lol:

oh and reading this thread has got me worried, i went for a casting for the american eagle campaign (i dont think i got it because they were giving me dodgey looks and i only had a card and didnt have a portfolio - which by the way wasnt my fault) but is it so bad - i havnt researched it and i dont think we have any shops get it here.

After reading through the whole thread, I cannot resist posting again. Some comments that have sometimes put me off a bit:

1. Not to be rude or anything, but do you even own a pair of trainers/sneakers? i.e. ( Just because EVERY uni student wears sneakers day in day out)

2. The obligatory " How can you walk in those shoes?" from people who think wearing heels duing the day is a crime

3. Weird looks for throwing a vintage dress over jeans ( yes, anything not featured in the windows of H&M is also a crime...)

4. "Wow, you're really dressed up today..what's the occasion?" for finally discarding my 'fit in with everyone else' university logo hoodie, and putting on a trench coat.

Sigh, I'm just really bitter.

^I feel your pain. I moved to Idaho from Chicago a year ago and my appearance has gotten so sloppy these past few months. I have found myself dressing down so that I fit in. Even at job interviews people are perplexed on why I am wearing heels. An Idahoan's idea of dressing up is throwing on their A&E mini skirt, sequin tank, and white flip-flops (in the middle of winter, mind you). I don't get it. I 've let myself so go. I'm hoping to relocate by '07 to NYC. Hopefully I can hang on 'til then, for the ignorance around here transcends far beyond fashion. I live in a town where it's a crime to drink a cup of coffee or smoke a cig. I'm frowned upon because I don't want to get married. I'm a perpetually outsider here, through and through. It's quite depressing, and every day is a struggle.:yuk: :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
haha.. my mom's from Siberia :D.

To answer the question..yep.

Toronto has decent shopping (LV, Gucci, Prada, Chanel) but most people don't have style. Aritzia and Lululemon are very popular stores for girls aged 12-22. A typical outfit for a girl would be: Dior logo oversized sunglasses, fake plastic Chanel earrings, TNA jacket with fur trim, Lululemon hoodie, monogram Gucci or LV bag, lightly washed jeans or Juicy pants, and Uggs. Guys mostly wear American Eagle, Billabong, or copy head-to-toe what the mannequins at the Gap are wearing. VERY rarely do I see a girl or guy with an original looking stylish outfit.

Hehe yes I'd say I do (I was born in Siberia). Here in Czech republic not many people care about themself like in germany for example. New young generation are starting to think about fashion, but most of all people still wear weird totally un-fashion clothes, like they've never seen any current fashion trends.

I don't care about others so much, but everyone is looking on you like you were a stranger or totally plush rich man when you wear something nice.

There's big difference beetweek russian people which often goes there and czechs. You'll find out inmediatly who's who.

cur53se said:
There's big difference beetweek russian people which often goes there and czechs. You'll find out inmediatly who's who.

Haha yeah.. I can spot a Russian 50 yards away. :lol:

verb said:
Chalk up another vote for the Midwest Engineering School group here... It's a curse. Unfortunately, mine happens to be in Indiana so it doesn't get much worse. I walk around daily and see one or two people who actually took the time to get dressed during the day, much less for parties at night. In general, there are about three people on campus that actually recognize what I wear as designer gear and the rest just wander around blindly, just catching on to big trends that were popular in NYC/LA about five years ago.

Without online ordering I would be lost, I couldn't even find Dior Homme when I went home to Dallas for xmas! :angry:

Do you go to Purdue? I know what you mean about the five year catch-up trends...it's sad...I go to another college though...but you should give indy a chance...there are some alright people...they just don't dress well...

verb i live in indiana and i feel your pain >_< i live in south bend and at my high school, a lot of girls' idea of style is a pair of uggs and one of those those awful sequin covered bags :yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

Tushka_BeLLa said:
I don't live in fashion Siberia ... people are pretty fashion forward over here... but we are a season behind .... like Australia ... so SS05 is just ending over here right now, and we have to wait till December for SS06!

In which city/province do you live Tushka Bella? I find that Cape Town and Johannesburg are the most fashion forward, don't you think? Back when I was in varsity (in Johannesburg), however, one of my lecturers took one look at me and said "hmm, you have money for clothes, eh". I wanted to tell her to go jump in the lake!

oh, i do :(

almost no one cares about fashion, and almost everyone are wearing mainstream clothes.

I live in the US midwest where wearing heels during the day is also a crime. the most individuality comes from the few people who shop at Anthropologie (upscale branch of urban outfitters), but even then they have the same skirt or whatever. I have to shop online for cool clothes.

I live in a town where we got our first clothing store about 2 or 3 years ago. It's called Warehouse One Jeans, I've never seen it anywhere else and it's hideous. Now we have 2 clothing stores, one sells marked up tommy hilfiger, the other sells these cheap out of style clothes. But I wonder, maybe since people have no where to turn to for mainstream fashion is small towns, they turn to the internet and discover places like tFS. Maybe not having access to fashion is a good thing. :ninja:

^ kisa, that's crazy! your town only got it's first clothing store two/three years ago??

^ on second thought...i guess it's believable.

i don't know why i overreacted :lol:

kisa when i move back to Canada/Ontario we HAVE to meet up :rofl: oh warehouse one. so many dads wear warehouse one but personally it's like the SAAN store to me (don't know if any canadians will know this reference) and i hate it. we never shopped there. i just didn't like the atmosphere. My dad buys all his jeans from costco/price club :shades:

Matt - interesting about the AE campaign. did you get it? I'm surprised they were casting in London since it's such an 'American' brand and goes for that aesthetic.

I live like a 15 minutes down the road from liverpool city centre .. there is the home of the uber fashionable .. scousers are really fashion concious. But then you go to my village in boring old suberia and it is a bit of a fashion suberia .. its getting better .. but also i think the fact its a poorer area compared to the city and we dont have the bright lights of the city etc. contribute to it ... wish it was more fashion concious :(

Hahah, that's funny. My school used to be all A&F, Hollister, American Eagle... trendy...etc.. but now some people are finally starting to get some style..haha... but the majority of my school is really boring. I like it that way though, I enjoy being different by my style. :D & I don't even have to do much of anything to stand out, hahaha.

I live in Washington DC. Home to tourists and politicians. So, it's all powersuits, patriotic tshirts, and Vera *gag* Bradley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yohjiyamamotor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->