Does fashion need "supermodels"?

Max Capote

Reaction score
I FOUND AN INTERESTING ARTICLE ABOUT "SUPERMODELS"
SOURCE: newmodels.blogspot.com

Does Fashion really want - or need - the "supermodel"?

A Wintour certainly does - that's why she is executing one of her infamous swings - like the time she resurrected Linda Evangelista, in late 2001.
Remember who was on the Sept 2001 US Vogue cover? Yep - Linda E, looking older than her real age. Today, she looks "10 years younger", as several media sources have noted (no need to believe me!) - which means she actually looks 7 years younger than she did in Sept 2001. In fact, she looks even younger than she did in September 1997, when she was again on the mag cover, a few months after Gianni Versace was killed !!
Joking aside, Linda E looked "mature" in September 2001 for a good reason - several months before 9/11, AW and Co abandoned the "It Girl" and turned their attention to the "older woman" once again. In fact, Donatella V asked Meisel to use someone who "appealed to older women" for her campaign - he in turn chose Amber Valletta, as usual. AW was still the "trendsetter" back then, so everyone put his ducks in line behind her - a few months later, with the expectation of an imminent recovery, things returned to business as usual (and Amber Valletta was chosen once again for the new campaign, this time to appeal to the younger women)

Why does AW need the "supermodel"? Because she can't compete with InStyle or Vanity Fair when it comes to celebrity covers, and rather than battle with Marie Claire, she has to come up with an alternative which can sell premium-priced advertising and impress her fans. Things get really sh*tty when H Bazaar or Elle can put Gisele, or whoever is IMG's No 1 model, on their cover - what can she offer in return?

The $66K question is - do the rest in the fashion world need the "supermodel"?

People remember vaguely that everyone was happy and smiling back in the 90s, the "supermodels" were hip during that time, so they probably had something to do with it - so if the "biz" can fabricate some sort of new "supermodel", and foist some old faces on the clueless alongside it, happy days will be here again!!

When the NYC types talk about "supermodels", they mean Linda E, Christy T and sometimes Naomi C. Some may want to throw in Tyra B - Heidi K couldn't even get an SI Swimsuit issue cover, so her "supermod" status is more IMG wishful thinking. Few "fashionable" types will mention Cindy C, since they don't regard her as a "true" fashion supermodel.
In short, the people who control fashion nowdays completely missed the real international supermodel phenomenon - they know little or nothing about the faces that filled the pages or European and international mags for years - Eva Herzigova, Adriana Sklenarikova, Karen Mulder, Tatjana Patitz, Leticia Casta, Elle Macpherson, Claudia Schiffer, Nadja Auermann, Esther Canadas... THESE ARE THE FACES THAT SOLD PRODUCTS WORLDWIDE.
Christy T had little selling power internationally, and about zero today - Naomi C remains an exception, and seems to get stronger as other 90s models fade away (except in the UK and certainly the US, as evidenced by the (lack of) attention paid to her in the last VS show). Cindy C still does "special appearances" in Italy, Russia and many other places where her name sells - and her face still appears in magazine ads for "luxury" products.

If you want to draw an analogy, think Women's Tennis - up to the early 90s, women's tennis had a strong following in the AngloAmerican world, but few people on the outside cared about a game played by maturing, mostly lesbian players whom they never saw in action - except in the Paris Open maybe. The game exploded when a number of cute teenagers appeared - they brought new fans to the stadiums, the "tour" expanded to new markets, new television viewers helped advertising and player award money budgets to explode, and a new generation of girls got inspired and took up the sport. The result is that most players today are leggy teenagers from Eastern Europe, same as in fashion modelling. The "professionals" in NYC, London or the Oz still think of Navratilova and her galpals when "tennis greats" are mentioned, everybody else thinks of Capriati, Seles, Graf, etc as the tennis heroines of the 90s.

The NY Daily News featured some opinions on the "return of the supermodel". The person from US Elle proves to be the most clueless, as usual - suggesting that Gisele and K Kurkova are "household" names. Not in any household I know - but then again, I don't live in NYC. The fashion people quoted make the usual mistake - when someone mentions "supermodel", they think "high fashion supermodel", ie Linda E, Christy T and Naomi C. The question is - did these girls really help fashion - and will they help again now? Will the average buyer pay for the merch they (or similar famous mods from the past) advertise?

The evidence is in the Gross book, even though the story ends around 1995 - after the "Trinity" disbanded, fashion people got increasing irritated with Linda E and her pals - the people who fabricated the "supermodel" concept (J Casablancas, along with Gerald Marie, Gianni Versace and a few others) had all sorts of fights with them, the photographers and stylists were pissed, and by 94/95 there was a rebellion against the "high fashion" supermodel - the 1995 NYC shows did not feature any of them. Gianni V, who was instrumental in the plan, by offering more money to buy the exclusive rights for a model so that she would walk only for him - was so upset by the fact that his Paris/Milan competitors were outbidding him in his own game, that he decided to move his show to NYC (some may claim this was because NYC was becoming the new fashion capital - although A McQueen had a different opinion, after his show there he called US fashion "boring" and vowed never to return again).
The pro-quirky crowd btw tried a ersatz version of the Gianni trick with "exclusive" but quirky "Prada", "Gucci", etc girls and managed to swindle a few clueless types, but it didn't last for long - it made money for editrixes, photographers, model agents and whoever got kickbacks from model fees, but it certainly didn't help product sales, since nobody knew sh*t about who the "exclusive" mod was!

The bottom line - the fashion world (with the exception of the big modelling agencies and the editrixes) turned its back to the "fashion supermodel" after the mid-90s. One reason almost everybody happily went along with the quirky crowd and their plan to kill the "elegant" woman of the 90s was that they never wanted to see this type of model ever again - those mods were obviously more trouble than they were worth for them. Just look up what all the famous photographers were saying about the supermodels after 1996, and how eager they were to kill the concept - even J Casablancas had enough, and Elite had plans to replace the "old guard" with new faces by 1999-2000. Things went a different way though...

So what about these "aspirational" mods scheduled to appear this Fall?
This is going to be just another fashion swindle, but this time they are burning the bridges behind them, so it's going to be risky - the plan is to repackage the best-looking faces, tart them up beyond recognition (since cosmetics companies are the new money-generating opportunity for agents, photographers and pretty much everyone) give them a complex hairdo (good for getting salon advertising) and sell them as "the return of the supermodel".
To help the clueless make the necessary flashback, they throw in a grotesquely cosmetically altered Linda E, so that she brings back the mid-90s memories - Voila, the last and desperate effort by the hipsters to make a profit.

For the reasons explained above, they'll fail once again - and even if Dubya "arrests" Bin Laden just before the elections and the economy improves, they'll have very few options left by next summer.

we need supermodel's to idolize and get to know! it is just more fun than seeing radom faces....

of course we need models, we need models to sell our clothes and our magazines

that is not so much an article as a terribly written rant...imo...
and i don't even see a point to the whole thing...:unsure:

but i do think we need some better models...some stronger, less fragile WOMEN...

We need supermodels.......I repeat, we need Supermodels........

Those Golden Girls ( the ones with personalities ) Linda, Christy and Naomi are the ones that inspired kids from Iowa and beyond, to claw their way out of their hometowns to the fashion capital to make a name for themselves( think Zac Pozen, etc).......

Let's face it.....as a kid what pulls us to fashion are these amazingly perfect supermodels that promises a dream of beauty and luxury.....initialy it's the models that's selling us those dream, not the designers.

We need supermodels to inspire us and the next generation.....Be it Hana, Gemma Karolina, Gisele, Marija, Valentina, Stam , Daria and of course the great Natalia!

Without them......WE'RE NOT EVEN GONNA BE IN THIS FORUM!

Hmmm....a tough question. I wouldn't be in this forum if it wasn't for Gia. She is a supermodel of a kind, but not a 90s supermodel.

There was the 50s supermodel (Suzy Parker, Dorian Leigh, Lisa F), there was the 60s supermodel (Jean Shrimpton, Twiggy, Penelope Tree), the 70s supermodel (Lauren Hutton, Cheryl Tiegs, Gia), the 80s supermodel (Paulina, Cindy, Christy), the 90s supermodel (Linda, Nadja, Kate), the 00s supermodel (Gisele, Natalia(?) and X).

I frankly felt very disenchanted by fashion in the 90s (when I was a teen), because of the horrible styling. I had always been into Nina Hagen, Bowie and stuff like that and then Cindy/Linda/Christy and their ugly 50s inspired glam look just didn't do it for me. I wanted drugs, decadence, coolness...but also glam. So grunge didn't do it for me and fashion didn't do it for me so I had to resort to Suede :wink:, because of course GNR and all the hairies were over by this time. It's most unfortunate that I didn't open an issue of Italian Vogue to see some Nadja, but when you are attacked by uncool fashion faces all the time you just don't associate Vogue/Bazaar with coolness. So I didn't get interested in fashion until I saw a Gia movie and a website for her online. As I delved deeper, I realized that every time has it's merits (except 1983-1985). And now I'm quite fond of the 90s supermodels too (still can't really seem to like Linda, though).

Basically, often you need someone to draw you in, like PussyLee said. I wonder what the girls that would draw the teens in today are? Personally, I think Marija, Jeisa, Isabeli, Hana, Amanda Moore, Erin Wasson, Lily Donaldson...

sometimes if the clothes are not my cup of tea, wearing on a supermodel truly draw my attention to the clothes

PussyLee said:
Those Golden Girls ( the ones with personalities ) Linda, Christy and Naomi are the ones that inspired kids from Iowa and beyond, to claw their way out of their hometowns to the fashion capital to make a name for themselves( think Zac Pozen, etc).......

i undertand the point you're trying to make...but for the sake of the facts...
zac posen is a rich kid...from upstate ny i believe...
it's not exactly a rags to riches story with him... :wink: :P

I don't think fashion needs supermodels, mainstream needs supermodels. I personally get bored of seeing the same models on every cover and in every editorial, that becomes boring very soon.

Yess, i think we do need them..

i think clothes also sell better when a handsome woman/man wears it:rolleyes:

Oh my god!, who wrote that awful/terrible article? where did you get it? :woot: :woot::( :angry: :doh: :huh: :unsure: :cry: :woot: :woot:

Max Capote said:
I FOUND AN INTERESTING ARTICLE ABOUT "SUPERMODELS"

Few "fashionable" types will mention Cindy C, since they don't regard her as a "true" fashion supermodel.

fashionable types?, hello!, if they are "Fashionable" people then they should know that Cindy C was a great fashion model with 16 American Vogue Covers,
she was catwalking for Gianni Versace, Chanel, Calvin Klein, etc, etc, advertising for Versace, Ferre, Mizrahi,Ellen Tracy...... photographed by Elgort, Meisel,Avedon, Newton, Penn, Ritts, Weber, Leibovitz, God!!!!!, Ain't that a Fashion Model? what the hell is a fashion model?

Max Capote said:
Eva Herzigova, Adriana Sklenarikova, Karen Mulder, Tatjana Patitz, Leticia Casta, Elle Macpherson, Claudia Schiffer, Nadja Auermann,

Who the hell is Adriana Skeletikova?, she has nothing to do with Supermodels like Tatjana, Karen, Claudia and Nadja, a real fashion reviewer
wouldn't include the name of that girl beside the big names.

Max Capote said:
Christy T had little selling power internationally, and about zero today

What???????? :angry: :angry: , no comments.

Max Capote said:
- Naomi C remains an exception, and seems to get stronger as other 90s models fade away (except in the UK and certainly the US, as evidenced by the (lack of) attention paid to her in the last VS show).

:angry: :angry: :angry: Naomi has been in primetime american Tv Shows like 20/20 with Diane Sawyer and Revealed for E! entertainment, Naomi was presenting an award in the Mtv Music Video Awards 2004, did the same for the Mtv European Awards 2004, Naomi was attending the Grammy Awards 2005, GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how can anybody say so many dumb things at the same time?

Max Capote said:
Cindy C still does "special appearances" in Italy, Russia and many other places where her name sells - and her face still appears in magazine ads for "luxury" products.

didn't she get the UK/Spain Vogue Cover this year?, are these editions
only sold in Russia and Italy?

softgrey said:
i undertand the point you're trying to make...but for the sake of the facts...
zac posen is a rich kid...from upstate ny i believe...
it's not exactly a rags to riches story with him... :wink: :P

LOL, my bad, I was just brainstorming between the houses I'm selling and posting here that I couldn't think of anybody else beside that devilishly hot SUCK pozen, LOL

iluvjeisa said:
Basically, often you need someone to draw you in, like PussyLee said. I wonder what the girls that would draw the teens in today are? Personally, I think Marija, Jeisa, Isabeli, Hana, Amanda Moore, Erin Wasson, Lily Donaldson...

Exactly. It's the models that Drove you to recognized a LOGO.......Didn't Kate Moss Sold CALVIN KLEIN to teens? Kate Sold us the dream of Calvin, Hip, young, .......you belong to this glam, drug chic!

Linda, Christy and Naomi sold us Versace!

Gay men and Women, and now even str8 men are fashion /logo obssessed. I mean most of us are , not all (don't attack me, LOL). In my local mall, the Uniform of Choice for women and gay men are LV handbags, Gucci Wallets and Prada Shoes........

It's the supermodels that draw you in at first, who promises that you belong to a cool club. Their purpose is to sell........

someone's got to wear the clothes in the ads or at the runway! so why not someone beautiful, who attracts attention? beautiful people are often admired by others and that's it what turns a model into a supermodel!

In the age of Obesity, Krispy Kremes andOprah's Yoyo weight battle..........

being Tall lean and skinny is adored, coveted and to-be-died for..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valkirius
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->