TOP 10 Supermodels

Yes they are supers. When Tyra was doing a supermodel group photoshoot for SI in 04, she said these girls were the "real" supermodels. Even Janice said that Tyra was the last of the great supermodels. WHO EXACTLY said you have to have had this many Vogues to be officially a supermodel? A supermodel is a highly paid fashion model, who is a household name. I checked every site, and that's the definition. I asked in forums, and that was their definitons. I read articles, and that was the definition. I watched E THS on Supermodels, and the supers themselves gave the same definition. On THS they also said SI gives the title of supermodels even to those who haven't been on Vogue. Once you grace the cover or pages of a major magazine like SI, which is read by millions in North America Alone, you will be a household name. Who EVER said that you had to be a Vogue covergirl for over 20 issues?? Who said you have to be a muse? Heidi was never a muse. Petra was never a muse. On E THS, the SI Supers included Heidi, Petra, Tyra, Molly, Rachel Hunter, I could go on.. It's just you're opinion of a supermodel. It was the first time I heard someone say Heidi or Tyra aren't supermodels. In today's standards, top models like Jessica Stam aren't supermodels even though they've done dozens of runways, mag covers... The current supermodels are commercial models. Models who are on SI and VS immidiatley become a household name. Ask anyone on the street. I bet you they will know who Daria (who gets so much exposure here in canada, she's always on every entertainment show and newspaper), Gisele, Heidi, Adriana, Alessandra, Tyra, Ana B, Marissa Miller, Naomi, and Petra are. I bet you the majority will know. Ask an average person in the street who Hana S, Natalia, Jessica, Gemma, Lily, etc..They won't know. Maybe in the past the supermodels were mostly hi fi, but nowadays they're almost all commercial models.

Look man I know you're a big Tyra freak...but most don't put here in that 1st class group of Supers. Most aren't convinced so don't have a cow...and it's not your job to do so! Of course models should be on the cover of fashion magazines come on....and if you're gonna be on one that VOGUE baby is the way. Sure Heidi was hot for a minute...will be talking of her 10 years from now NO! Just like the other VS & SI girls like Jill Goodacre,Kathy Ireland,etc they were on those covers too...but who really cares? No groundbreaking work there sorry.

All the other stuff-cheap shots if you ask me-like SI,VS, or tv doesn't make you great just cause some people may know you. Britney Spears is everywhere/known and successful is she a great...NO! The Supermodel term was thrown around and girls like and after Tyra a little of that shine...doesn't it make it right? NO.

However..I think Elle is more for the title than Banks,Heidi,especially Petra. But even she gets left out of films and books, all of them have but the real Supermodels are locks for that, they're always in. E! used the Supermodel story to grab guys like us and not make it so one sided. I don't mind SI or Tyra she has a nice rack...but does that make you a serious or real model...Not really.

Also what was Janice Dickinson going to say honestly...Tyra was her employer...and whatever that woman says I take with a grain of salt 'cause she's got the nerve to call herself the first:innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually she said that around season 5, when she left the show. PLUS, in an interview she explained why she was the first supermodel...She said that she knew people are like there were models like Twiggy and Lauren Hutton way before you. Janice was like, yeah but did they do runway and all this stuff? NO. Janice was doing every type of modeling, unlike Twiggy and them. Twiggy didn't do all kinds of modeling, but she is still considered a supermodel. What makes Tyra not a supermodel, just cause she hasn't done much high fashion?

MakeUpJunkie said:
Actually, Janice was the first since she made the word up.

Absolutely not, I've seen it in Cosmo US 1973 and they called a model that although I can't remember her name, who I think was blond. But this was before Janice!

MakeUpJunkie said:
Actually, Janice was the first since she made the word up.
Actually if you check wikipedia, the word was used way before in a magazine!!

I know, but those are lies. (I love Janice... I dont care if its true or not :smile: )

Rio93 I agree with you completely. Making serious modelling money does not make you a supermodel, it makes you a highly paid model and successful. But youre not necessarily a super.

Supers command all parts of fashion, from being Vogue Italia covers to commercial successes such as VS and SI. Tyra was only able to last a short time in high fashion, she was never a star within it. She got a few covers for a few magazines, but she did not have the staying power that was necessary. Her fame came form her commercial work, making her famous, but she was unable to grasp both sides of the spectrum.

If we are going to talk supermodels of today, the closes thing at the moment is Gisele, she manages to be in high fashion campaigns and rides VS strongly. Next would be someone like Karolina Kurkova who is on her way to this spot.

But no one is the same as the supermodels of the 80s, those were true supermodels.

Tyra and co. no, theyre just successful models.

MakeUpJunkie said:
I know, but those are lies. (I love Janice... I dont care if its true or not :smile: )

It's fine to like her, but she is lying through her teeth. Seriously, but I like Jan's work, although I know the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMIFAN9 said:
It's fine to like her, but she is lying through her teeth. Seriously, but I like Jan's work, although I know the truth.

I know the truth, I just dont want to admit it.

Interestingly enough, I just went to mod-tv.com and under their model sections they have Alessandra Ambrosio listed as a supermodel and Gemma Ward listed as a topmodel.

Amber Valletta and Shalom Harlow would definitely be included in a list like this, as well as Carolyn Murphy even, but I'd consider those girls contemporary supermodels, based on the fact that they have achieved great success in the high fashion world as well as the commercial world and also, they all could argue-ably be considered household names, or at least easily recognizable by most of America.

certainly i'd wager that virtually nobody knows the name of "Shalom Harlow" and though they might know "Amber Valetta" it's only because she's been in a few successful movies. "Carolyn Murphy" is a recognizeable face, sure, thanks to Estee Lauder and SI, but i don't think she's very high profile. Nobody really cared about her sex tape. If she were a true "super", everyone would have bought it. Can you imagine a Gisele sex tape??!! People would go mad for it.

Though i'm not necessarily disagreeing with the fact that they could be considered supermodels. They've all been extremely successful in the modelling world. but i'd bet my life's savings that more people know, recognize & care about Adriana Lima than any of those other three. i think the idea of "Supermodel" has changed over the years (Thanks to people like Tyra & Heidi).

I would say that a lot of the people considered "supers" are the models who do VS and SI, because people know them moreso. A lot of people consider Gisele to be a super but I believe it's because she is the top VS Angel, she gets real fashion campaigns and edits, and she's somewhat in the news. But you'd have to take someone like Gisele, who has great commercial success, and someone like Du Juan or Daria, who gets high fashion success, and combine the two to get someone like Naomi who is a true Super.

Models like Carolyn, Amber, Shalom, etc. I don't consider to be Supers only because they don't have the public recognition. Even with Carolyn getting SI, Versace, and the sex tape, and Amber being in movies, they don't have the type of recognition that Naomi would get.

I have to agree about Heidi and Tyra changing the idea of what a super is because it's more about VS than Versace.

In My 10 Ten I Will Put Only The Girls Of Supermodel Rank Maybe There Are Some Less Famous Girls I Like More But Since The Word "supermodel" Is Mentioned I Will Think Of Only Those Topper Ones;-) I Will Just Mention With (f) My Favotitas;-)
  1. helena Christensen - Was, Is And Will Be My Fav. Supermodel
  2. linda Evangelista (f)
  3. christy Turlington (f)
  4. cindy Crawford (f)
  5. claudia Schiffer (f)
  6. stephanie Seymour (f)
  7. naomi Campbell
  8. elle Macpherson
  9. kate Moss
  10. nadja Auermann (f)
to My MIND There Are Some Other Top Girls Such As
  • carla Bruni (f)
  • tatjana Patitz
  • heidi Klum
  • yasmeen Ghauri (f)
  • karen Mulder (f)
  • gisele Bundchen
  • paulina Porizkova
  • amber Valletta (f)
  • shalom Harlow (f)
  • carolyn Murphy
  • leatitia Casta
  • tyra Banks
  • niki

I think the word "supermodel" is just thrown around really. I don't see why people have to get in these huge arguements on whether who is or who isn't. Let's just face it, the fashion industry is very subjective and we all have our own views on who is a supermodel. To me, a supermodel is just a model who is also a celebrity. Someone who you can say their name to and they know exactly who you are talking about. I'm not quite sure why everyone has to make the supermodel group such an elite group where people have to have certain requirements to be in it. It's just silly.

If someone inspires you in a special way, they're a supermodel to you.

OKay this article will definately solve this issue,,,,

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...cle1222075.ece

The shock of the old: Fashion discovers the fortysomethings

Suddenly, an industry renowned for its love of the new trades in the younger faces for some older models. By Jonathan Owen and Andrew Johnson

Published: 27 August 2006

Famous for being fickle, the neurotic world of fashion has come full circle. More than a decade after being ditched in favour of younger rivals, the original supermodels - Christy, Linda, Cindy et al - are sashaying elegantly back into the spotlight.
In a stinging rebuff to the current stars of the catwalk, the "mature" models are making a comeback as fashion houses, magazine editors and top photographers clamour for their services to inject some "class and timeless beauty" back into the business.
linda evangelista 41, who once famously said she did not get out of bed for less than $10,000, is leading the charge, gracing the cover of this month's American Vogue, while Christy Turlington, 37, has just signed a multimillion-dollar deal with Maybelline cosmetics aimed at women over 35.
Turlington will feature in Versace's new campaign, which will launch in fashion magazines next week. Evangelista has also returned to the catwalk. She opened the up-and-coming designer Giles Deacon's spring/ summer show this year, which received universal acclaim.
Claudia Schiffer, at 36 the youngest of the returning stars, will appear on the cover of Italian Vogue in the autumn and has just signed a £6m deal with L'Oreal. She is also on the cover of this month's i-D magazine, the youth style bible.
Elle Macpherson, 42, another big name from the same era, may be rejecting the catwalk - "I'm too old for that" - but has signed up as the face of Erase Those Fine Lines, an anti-ageing cream aimed at the over-30s. The campaign will roll out globally next year. She also has her own lingerie range, worth around £40m.
The return of the supermodels has been applauded by leading photographers and fashion experts. Terry O'Neill, whose photographs helped elevate them to movie-star status in the 1980s and 1990s, said: "They'll bring some class back."
He added: "They had everything, personality, looks, a reputation, and were the best at what they did. These girls are women. They are not skinny beanpoles; that extreme look has gone way too far. People like Cindy Crawford and Christy Turlington were the best models of all time. Thank God they're coming back."
Russell Marsh, a casting director for Prada, said: "They are not only incredibly beautiful but they have a presence and ability to become characters. They are like actors. These days girls don't have the same longevity they used to. Two or three seasons and you are considered to have had your moment."
Olga Liriano, a New York-based casting agent who has worked with Calvin Klein, Vanity Fair and Polo Jeans, also took a swipe at the current generation of models. "The girls now are interchangeable," she said. "They have no character or personality. We can barely remember their names."
The models don't need the money: Evangelista Schiffer and Turlington, known as the Trinity, are reputed to be worth between £15m and £20m each. They are returning because they can, and they are open about how they keep looking good. Talking about her current work with Vogue, Evangelista who is pregnant, said: "I don't look like I do in the pages of Vogue. I think it's OK to say I'm 41 and it's work being me. It's a lot of upkeep. I'm pro cosmetic procedure. I use a little Botox and I'm not afraid to say it. Although I do like to keep some movement in my face."
Turlington, a mother of two, disagreed with that. "I'm not afraid of ageing," she said. "I would absolutely not do Botox. I really don't see much difference in my face now. In a way I feel I've grown into it. It actually makes me feel happier about my face when I look at people my age - which is too young - who've had it done. It's just not healthy and not pretty."
But, she added, returning to modelling was a lot of fun. "I started my career working with the Versaces and it had been years since I had seen Donatella," she said. "Shooting the campaign was much more fun than work."
The boom in their fortunes may be partly pragmatic: women of a similar age have more spending power than their younger sisters. "A 35-year-old cannot aspire to a 16-year-old Russian model all the time," said Tori Edwards, director of ICM Models, whose clients include Schiffer and Helena Christensen. "Nobody does it better than a Claudia Schiffer or
Linda They could go on being these incredible aesthetic beauties for ever. They are iconic beauties of our time."
Cindy Crawford
BIG BREAK: Pictured in her local paper, aged 16
THEN: 600 magazine covers, face of Revlon for 11 years, six years on MTV
NOW: 'Maxim' cover, has her own skin care range
Claudia Schiffer
BIG BREAK: Spotted in a Dusseldorf club, aged 17
THEN: 1,000 magazine covers, modelled Guess jeans
NOW: £6m deal with L'Oreal, cover of style magazine 'i-D'
Linda Evagelista
BIG BREAK: 1978 Miss Teen Niagara contest
THEN: Modelled for Chloe, YSL and Dior. Known as 'the Chameleon'. Appeared in George Michael video
NOW: Cover of US 'Vogue'
Christy Turlington
BIG BREAK: The cover of Italian 'Vogue' in 1987
THEN: Numerous multimillion-dollar contracts, 500 magazine covers
NOW: Working for Maybelline and Versace
Additional reporting by Claire O'Boyle

SUPERMODELS TAPE!!

MY Favorite:

1: LINDA EVANGELISTA

2: KATE MOSS

3: GISELLE

4 : nadja Auermann

5: AMBER VALLETTA

yeah, it was a nice read, but really that article is rubbish.

it says, "Evangelista, Schiffer and Turlington, known as The Trinity..."

BLAAAAAAH! Claudia was NOT part of The Trinity. it was Naomi, Linda and Christy. booooo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valkirius
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->