Fashion Industry Careers - Options (See individual threads for specific careers.)

does anyone have any tips as to how to get a job working for a fashion magazine? like any kind of a job, even the lowest of the low like a receptionist or some sort of clerk or something? is it even possible for a regular person or do you need to have top-notch education or be some socialite's daughter? TIA

Does anyone know what a freelance designer is? Or what they do?

NY City Girl said:
does anyone have any tips as to how to get a job working for a fashion magazine? like any kind of a job, even the lowest of the low like a receptionist or some sort of clerk or something? is it even possible for a regular person or do you need to have top-notch education or be some socialite's daughter? TIA

I know it sounds like a dream, but it's TRUE.

You need a popular blog or a wbesite. People will do everything to get you, believe me ^_^ (+it's good to live in a big city, this may be a problem and it is so- most of the time, people just want you in the right place on the right time if they feel that you're ambicious. First step is training, as far as I know, you don't need to be experienced to do it, but you have to show yourself: your style (in writing), your ideas and thoughts) :flower:

This happens in Poland where fashion isn't very popular... (comparing to Paris or N.Y....)

Lost My Way

First Year Of A Level Textiles & Art And Honesly I Cant Seen To Xcited Bout It No More. :cry:
I Like Being Creative But I Really Aint That Good.. :huh:

Dunno What To Aim For Now That Being A Fashion Designer Is Outta The Agenda..:unsure:

What Other Careers Are In The World Of Fashion? Help! :ninja:

kiiimeluv said:
First Year Of A Level Textiles & Art And Honesly I Cant Seen To Xcited Bout It No More. :cry:
I Like Being Creative But I Really Aint That Good.. :huh:

Dunno What To Aim For Now That Being A Fashion Designer Is Outta The Agenda..:unsure:

What Other Careers Are In The World Of Fashion? Help! :ninja:

I know the feeling...in fact, its funny but just a while ago I felt the same exact way..felt lost and well, scared! My advice is to not put your hands down right away, try pushing just a little more...it worked for me, at least and at last! Kay? :flower:

Thankyou! Ill Do That. Im On An Up On. JUST Got The Cath Kiston White Phone. Well Happy!

future buyer!?

Hi! I post on here alot and I would like to know what kind of internships would help me get into fashion buying. I'm currently a junior in high school and I'm taking marketing classes and an economics/socialogy class.

I'm part of DECA (it's a professional organization that involves high school and college students in the business world) and I've competed against very talented and intelligent students from all over NJ.

I'm looking at FIT and LIM in NYC right now and I'm applying for a few scholarships for those schools. I'm an A student and I consider myself to be pretty competitive, so I'm not planning on shying away from the industry.

Also, I would like to know if there are any careers focused on handbag marketing. Handbags are my #1 obsession and I'd really like to be involved in handbag merchandising...if there is such a thing:blink: .

Dream Job...

Hey wonderful TFS'ers. I'm 23 and very undecided about what I want to do. I am fluent in French, have a Bachelor's degree in humanities and have a passion for fashion and celebrities. My dream job would have these elements.

-International Travel (Especially France)
-Celebrities
-Not being someone's "Assistant" to start out. Intern is okay
-Let's me dress well & fashion-forward
-Good money 50k/year and up
-Job Stress low to moderate

Some of my ideas are to try getting a press job, a fashion writer, and other things. I'm just not sure what's out there. Does anyone have any idea if there is a job out there for me?:heart:

any careers for me at all?

Hi! I'm finishing high school next year, so I've already started to think of where to go next!
The thing is, I have NO idea what to choose
unsure.gif
... I love fashion and accessories (shoes the most:blush:) and have been customizing my stuff as far back as I can remember.

I LOVE drawing the concepts, playing and re-designing things. I also draw some designs of my own (but since I haven't got the knowledge I hardly ever make any of my own design from scratch, I just do the re-designs)!

I'm not that interested in clothes... I don't like sewing them or making patterns for them, I mainly focus on accessories!

The thing is I'm very good at drawing and making things, I'm currently studing art and doing very good :smile: I'm also good at the digital parts of designing (photoshop ect.).

The thing is I can't figure out what to to! I want a career in making accessories, mainly shoes, but I want a solid and good education! I don't want a future of uncertainty and hard times! =( What to do?
I'm thinking of getting a bachelor degree in accessories design at FIT
but What options will this give me?

Any other suggestions? It doesen't have to be a carees in accessories ect, just in design of some sort! awww, I'm so confused:(

any answers would be greatly appriciated!

^ "Any careers for me at all?" threads merged with this one about Fashion Industry Careers.

Last edited by a moderator:
That course at FIT is certainly a step in the right direction for a vocational choice like yours, where technique and knowledge of materials and tools is very important, but check out other design-related courses too. Once you have applied for the course, or whatever course you eventually choose, start getting in touch with fashion and accessory houses for vacationtime internships because hands-on practical experience on top of a good degree from a reputable college makes you far more interesting to prospective employers afterwards. In fact, I know a few people who were persuaded to give up their degree course by houses who recognised their talents and offered them 'proper' jobs. They never looked back. This is not to say that your time at college would be wasted were this to happen to you; you can always return at some later stage or finish your degree via correspondence or on a part-time basis. Many colleges are flexible in this way, as are employers.

PK

Thank you for replying:smile:

The thing is I want to be a designer of some sort.. But I want a long and good education, I have talent in design and good grades, and I can't throw it away on some quick design courses or a "maybe you'll get a job if you're lucky":unsure:

I don't know if i'm fit for the fashion world.. but I really hade a passion for designing, and creating accessories and shoes.. But is it enough?

aww.. this is so hard.. Thank you for trying to help^_^

And Since I live in a small town i scandinavia, I really have to know that this is right before i fly off to somewhere..

I understand your position. You are being very sensible. Your passion for design and creation of accessories and shoes must be explored! If you prefer to finish your degree course first, then you can do so. The industry is not going to disappear.

When I said that you might be offered a job as a result of an internship, with a choice between taking the job or returning to full time education, I did not intend to suggest that you abandon your education. The time you have already invested in studying for your degree would not be lost. It would be converted into credits and could count towards future completion of your degree course at the same college or a different one.

This is something you would have to discuss with your course tutors. But let's not worry about it now! Carry on with your studies and think about internships during your vacation time. I work with and know quite a few accessory and shoe designers in the business so feel free to send me an e-mail with your details and I will happily put you in touch with some people. They are always interested in looking at young talent and having them as interns during their college vacations.

Paris is not so far from the Land of the Vikings...

PK

Thank you very much for your reply^_^!
I still have another year before I can apply for college, and I hope I can make up my mid before that!
But is there any other colleges than FIT who has accessories design courses? any schools in europe?

I am nearly 16 and up until recently I have always been 100% certain I want to go into law, but recently I've been seriously considering a career in fashion, but I have not taken any fashion related subjects and I am not at all artistic - I can't draw, design or sew, but do I still have a chance of getting into the industry? And if so could anyone please suggest any career paths that I may be able to follow - I am going to be studying from September history, law, psycology and politics for AS and then dropping psycology at A level - in the fashion world that dont need the creative aspect so much, I am interested in all areas of industry, not just the "glamourous" side. Thanks :flower:

chanelnumber5 said:
I am nearly 16 and up until recently I have always been 100% certain I want to go into law, but recently I've been seriously considering a career in fashion, but I have not taken any fashion related subjects and I am not at all artistic - I can't draw, design or sew, but do I still have a chance of getting into the industry? And if so could anyone please suggest any career paths that I may be able to follow - I am going to be studying from September history, law, psycology and politics for AS and then dropping psycology at A level - in the fashion world that dont need the creative aspect so much, I am interested in all areas of industry, not just the "glamourous" side. Thanks :flower:

Somewhere ... maybe in this thread, but for sure in Careers & Education, I saw someone else ask a similar question and there was some repsonses to it. Try using the advanced search function and type in "law", "lawyer" and things like that and search the C&E forum for it ... see what you get.

shoexgal said:
Hey wonderful TFS'ers. I'm 23 and very undecided about what I want to do. I am fluent in French, have a Bachelor's degree in humanities and have a passion for fashion and celebrities. My dream job would have these elements.

-International Travel (Especially France)
-Celebrities
-Not being someone's "Assistant" to start out. Intern is okay
-Let's me dress well & fashion-forward
-Good money 50k/year and up
-Job Stress low to moderate

Some of my ideas are to try getting a press job, a fashion writer, and other things. I'm just not sure what's out there. Does anyone have any idea if there is a job out there for me?:heart:

Why not just come to France and start out as a freelance journalist? If you have any aptitude, you'll get ahead. But if you think it's a low to moderate stress occupation, you're mistaken. Writing for a living is hard work. Most people have one or two good articles in them, if given the time and tranquility, but you need to be good, all the time, under high pressure situations.

As for "press job", I take it you mean press relations? I've known plenty of unstressed press people but they tend not to last long because their calmness is usually due to laziness. It's a high stress job on Planet Fashion because of all the high maintenance people you have to mollycoddle. PR is more rewarding but you need an excellent book of contacts.

As far as not wishing to be someone's assistant is concerned, that's fair enough but why would you be prepared to do an internship in that case. Interns are there to step'n'fetchit. If they're switched on, they look and learn. But if you are temperamentally unsuited to taking orders, you should know that the major difference between being an assistant and an intern is that assistants are further up the tree and get paid for what they do.

As for travelling to interview celebs, I have to tell you that most celebs are as interesting as chewing cardboard or watching paint dry. That said, since you're in California, why not contact English language publications that may not have the budget to send people to the West Coast or to maintain correspondents there and offer them celeb interviews with Hollywood types? Or articles about interesting topics...

Don't waste your time contacting the major titles for the time being. Choose smaller, indy titles. Think up some interesting angles for short articles, or even some restaurant and bar reviews, call up the editors, and pitch them. Or send some short - 200/300 words max - pieces as Word or PDF attachments by e-mail after finding out who the commissioning editor is.

Walk before running...

PK

NY City Girl said:

You don't need a top notch education. I suppose an expensive accent helps if applying for a job with some UK Condé Nast titles but it's not an absolute prerequisite.

Some top glossies give the impression that they only employ trust fund girls but I think this has more to do with the very low rates of pay on offer for staffers: in order to pay the rent and eat more than twice a week, you need supplementary income on top of your meagre starting pay, hence the numbers of rich kids working at these magazines. They don't have to sweat it.

But hey, life was never fair and you can make it if you're not afraid of breaking a sweat from time to time. What you need are talent and tenacity. I don't know what you would like to do in terms of working on a fashion magazine but I suspect that whatever it is, positions like receptionist or clerk are unlikely to offer you much of a springboard to where you want to be.

Choose your path and follow it via internships, assisting and so on. Make sure that whatever you do is relevant to where you want to go.

PK

I'm in the middle of a trance here, unsure about if I should apply for a course at a major fashion school of if I should try networking. The only experience I have from the model industry is moddelling but styling and writing about trends and collection is my passion. Right now i'm running my own male fashion blog(see signature).
To be more specific I wonder how important education is in the fashion industry, or if it's all about artistic talent, talking to the right people and working your way to the top. I want to land a job at a fashion magazine like Vouge, GQ or Vanityfair and wonder what it takes.

homeboy said:
To be more specific I wonder how important education is in the fashion industry, or if it's all about artistic talent, talking to the right people and working your way to the top.

For some things, I think that education is very helpful ... designing in particular, since it teaches you all the technical things you need to know. However, talent and having the "eye' for fashion can't really be taught. One either has it or hasn't, IMO. Creativity and resourcefulness can be developed a bit, with practice and creative exercises but I think that you have to be born with the underlying talent.

It also requires the hard work and just pain guts to keep on keeping on ... all fashion is highly competitive. And you need strong business skills. Talent alone won't make you a success.

Reagrding the two things you mentioned ... Fashion Journalism and Fashion Styling:

If you are reading the thread about Fashion Journalism you will see that prosperk, who is actually a fashion journalist, says that education is not a prime factor in getting a job as a journalist ... he feels very stongly about that. And I'm a stylist and I feel the same way about what I do.

You learn by doing and find gigs/jobs by making connections along the way. Now becoming a fashion editor, which is sort of a cross of both seems to also require getting in at the bottom, working really hard, moving up the ranks and showing some real talent to the right people, too.

You should check out that thread, the one about "the Glamour Girls' Guide ... interning" and the the "How to become a Fashion Stylist" threads. There's lots of good information sprinkled thoughout those threads that may give you an idea of how both careers work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CREATIVERESEARCH
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->