How Much Can an AVERAGE Model Expect to Get Paid? (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

Originally posted by ebatesy23@Apr 27th, 2004 - 4:10 am
so...someone like Gemma Ward isn't gettin paid much yet? i thought she'd be gettin heaps...everyone in perth is so jealous! maybe not any more...
You forgot the part that says" unless she becomes the flavor of the moment in which case their price skyrockets." :flower: In her case that's true.

Ya,
Girls like gemma do make the bucks.. but there are so many girls out there for every gemma who dont make a thing...

I stumbled upon some info whilst avoiding school work :innocent:
It looks like a 'balance' sheet from this model Erika Valencia @ Pulse NY detailing the money she made on her jobs abroad...

Attachments

• RACHELWORKDONE.jpg
    RACHELWORKDONE.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 886
I'm sorry its so grainy! Mind you, I'm not sure what currency it is or anything but her agency website posted it to show that their models are doing well.
There's a picture of her as well...

Attachments

• EV.jpg
    EV.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 169
I dont think that's in USD.. it mentions Bangkok fashion, Malaysia Mag and Walls Icecream (which is from singapore I think). maybe the currency is in Thai or Malaysian? (i know its not singaporean cos that would be a lot!)

Asia is the place to be if you want to make quite a bit of money in a relatively short amount of time...

Why are some models offered up to 20,000 up front to go to Japan? Is it that hard to get good models to work there?

why is asia such a lucrative market for models? why do they make so much more over there versus here in the US and Europe? and how much US dollars are we talking about in the differences between asia and the west? is it different type of work, more catalog?

sorry for so many questions. i'm just very interested. :blush:

Originally posted by marc jacobs addict@May 22nd, 2004 - 10:45 pm
why is asia such a lucrative market for models? why do they make so much more over there versus here in the US and Europe? and how much US dollars are we talking about in the differences between asia and the west? is it different type of work, more catalog?

sorry for so many questions. i'm just very interested. :blush:
The $ 20,000 is in US dollars up front. Is it that hard to get the models to go there or are they so picky on who they want, that they are willing to pay that? How much is the cut for the agency if they're willing to give the model that much? :innocent:

I don't think they are picky in Asia at all, you take a look at some of the girls working over there from the US/Europe and trust me, they are pretty plain, nothing that special IMO.

Plus, they arent all that strict about height (it's easy to get work even if you're say just 5'7).

I think the reason they are offering so much is because 1. They are willing to pay and 2. The demand is high because there aren't that many western models working there (most likely because of percieved language barriers, etc).

If any aspiring models are finding it difficult to get work in the west, I say head east, it's an excellent opportunity.

Many models in mags here in Malaysia are basically Plain Janes.Sheesh,some of them are even shorter than 5'4,can you believe it? No standard or exclusivity really :angry:

I was offered to go to Japan, my agent at the time said no to the offer, she's a b*tch who wanted me to do bad in the buisness. Anyway, man I should have said yes and gone! I would have made a lot of money. If a agency in Japan want's a model then it's guarenteed that model will get jobs and well payd, and! I was supposed to get 10.0000 dollars just for getting there, the agency said it would not be put in my account, just payment for coming and being able to buy food etc And they payd the fare and they said it would not be put on my account! so 10.000 dollars, free fare and THEN plus all the extra I'd make from magasines and shows. 10.000 dollars is not a lot in Japan, but they wanted me for a month and I would have maybe spent about half of it in food etc, and if I wouldn't have gotten any jobs then come home with half the money and still have a lot. I can't belive how stupid I was!! I was ony 15 and had no idea what was best and trusted the hag that was my agent.

But japanese agencyes are very strict on the models mesurements, if a model has added one kilo, one or two cm on what ever part of the body they are likely to send you back home, but that depends on the agency.

Originally posted by Betty Boop@May 23rd, 2004 - 8:08 am
I was offered to go to Japan, my agent at the time said no to the offer, she's a b*tch who wanted me to do bad in the buisness. Anyway, man I should have said yes and gone! I would have made a lot of money. If a agency in Japan want's a model then it's guarenteed that model will get jobs and well payd, and! I was supposed to get 10.0000 dollars just for getting there, the agency said it would not be put in my account, just payment for coming and being able to buy food etc And they payd the fare and they said it would not be put on my account! so 10.000 dollars, free fare and THEN plus all the extra I'd make from magasines and shows. 10.000 dollars is not a lot in Japan, but they wanted me for a month and I would have maybe spent about half of it in food etc, and if I wouldn't have gotten any jobs then come home with half the money and still have a lot. I can't belive how stupid I was!! I was ony 15 and had no idea what was best and trusted the hag that was my agent.

But japanese agencyes are very strict on the models mesurements, if a model has added one kilo, one or two cm on what ever part of the body they are likely to send you back home, but that depends on the agency.
You're right, Betty Boop, BUT... I was in Japan twice, wih two different agencies. First when I was 17. I had my contract for 10.000 US dollars. Unfortunately, I didn't get any jobs because of my skin. The climate in Japan is so wet and my skin is very sensitive. My face was full of small red spots so logically I went back home. My second trip to Japan was two years ago, contract 15.000 $. I was worried but my skin took it OK. Anyway, usually in your contract is written, that if you're not gonna get in 10 days AT LEAST 3 jobs, they can cancel your contact and send you home. That's what happend to me. They told me I could stay for the rest of the time (50 more days), but with no contract... I decided to go back home.
Your contract was for 10.000$, so it means that if you got some jobs and stayed in Japan for the whole time (usually 60 days) and you made less then 10.000$, they would give you those 10.000$ anyway. But you HAVE TO work!! No one gives you money just to be there...
Maybe I didn't understand you right (my english is not that good :wink: ), so then I apologize to you :wink:

Originally posted by sinneres+May 23rd, 2004 - 12:05 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sinneres @ May 23rd, 2004 - 12:05 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Betty Boop@May 23rd, 2004 - 8:08 am

You're right, Betty Boop, BUT... I was in Japan twice, wih two different agencies. First when I was 17. I had my contract for 10.000 US dollars. Unfortunately, I didn't get any jobs because of my skin. The climate in Japan is so wet and my skin is very sensitive. My face was full of small red spots so logically I went back home. My second trip to Japan was two years ago, contract 15.000 $. I was worried but my skin took it OK. Anyway, usually in your contract is written, that if you're not gonna get in 10 days AT LEAST 3 jobs, they can cancel your contact and send you home. That's what happend to me. They told me I could stay for the rest of the time (50 more days), but with no contract... I decided to go back home.
Your contract was for 10.000$, so it means that if you got some jobs and stayed in Japan for the whole time (usually 60 days) and you made less then 10.000$, they would give you those 10.000$ anyway. But you HAVE TO work!! No one gives you money just to be there...
Maybe I didn't understand you right (my english is not that good :wink: ), so then I apologize to you :wink:
[/b][/quote]
Is it easier to find jobs there though?

How in the world can a 17 year old make it on her own, with the culture so different and the language barrier? How would you know what to steer clear of and what jobs to take? No amount of money in the world would be worth it if a young model got into a dangerous situation she could not get out of and had no one to turn to. :wacko:

sinneres: well, why should I go to japan on a contract with a agency and not work? I never said I didn't want to work, I'm just suprised that they would pay 10.000 and not put it on my accaunt, the agencies everywhere else let the models pay for every cent.

model_mom: I was 13 when I went alone to Milan for 10 dais :blush: I don't speak italian. I guess my parents just knew me well enough to trust me, I never got in any trouble, didn't go to the parties, never tried to seem lost, only asked for directions in a crowded place etc. and the agency looked after me and put me in a model appartment where there was a guard in the lobby and he was supposed to check on me, see if I came in late or came in at all. And age isn't everything, but what the person has learned and how mature the person is sais a lot, and going out there alone really helped me to learn to take care of my self and I'm really glad that my parents alowed me to go, but I had to pay a little prize... they were calling me constantly to check on me :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashiongloss
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->