Is Fashion Fashionable for 2006?

melt977

PopWillEatItself
Reaction score
This thread idea came through a discussion on another thread! :wink:

During the last months I have noticed (at least in Europe) a certain obsession with fashion by everyone, even people who never bothered about it before...

Everybody seems to be opening enterprises selling clothes, accessories, making accessories for sale, selling vintage items and following fashion trends with devotion.

For example, only last year, nobody was aware of the boots over jeans trend, and this year, not only it has become a stable in everyone's appearance, they have also caught up with the rest of the trends... skinny jeans, ballet flats etc. Also, more people seem to be aware of lesser known designer names other than the usual (Versace, Gucci, Dior).

Is it because of the fascination of the celebrities with fashion? Is it because of the high street (meaning that it is anavoidable for trends to be caught up by everyone since the high street options offered are all the same)?

What do you think and does the same apply in your part of the world?

there is an anti-fashion mood around, which is inspired by the anti-trends ..trend :D

unlike what was happening some seasons ago, people seem annoyed when something they've been wearing is becoming 'mainstream' hence 'fashion' and this shows a consumer need to differ and stand out, which actually is the exact opposite to following 'celebity' styles.

rise in a direction towards personality, creativity and expression has created a kind of snobbism of the high market mainstream trends, which i can understand up to a point.. its very interesting to see this attitude which as a result has a much faster forward moving of the trends in general..

so yes, fashion has become a tiny bit ...unfashionable making some people scouting for the next 'secret' trend with much more determination than before

Lena said:
there is an anti-fashion mood around, which is inspired by the anti-trends ..trend :D

unlike what was happening some seasons ago, people seem annoyed when something they've been wearing is becoming 'mainstream' hence 'fashion' and this shows a consumer need to differ and stand out, which actually is the exact opposite to following 'celebity' styles.

rise in a direction towards personality, creativity and expression has created a kind of snobbism of the high market mainstream trends, which i can understand up to a point.. its very interesting to see this attitude which as a result has a much faster forward moving of the trends in general..

so yes, fashion has become a tiny bit ...unfashionable making some people scouting for the next 'secret' trend with much more determination than before

I think that you find this in tFS... but is it true for the majority of the people?
I think what you say here is the result of what I said above.... everybody suddenly is fashion conscious hence people who used to be different due to their fashionable attires are now looking for something else, ehich will make them stand out again. However, what happened within one or two (fashion) seasons that turned the majority of the people (what we call the masses) into trend followers? This is what bothers me....

i believe fashion consiousness is generally on the rise in order to 'move' consumption during the economic 'crisis' environment we live in -at least in Europe. The market needs and promotes trends making the consumer buying more in order to keep up with the new 'it' fashions which due to global mass produced 'trend sensitive' lines/chainstores, are much more available than before.

as a counter reaction we have customers who snob 'owning' the new promoted trends and try to develop 'counter-trends' bringing niche styles in the spotlight before their time.. its a vicious circle really

i just hope i make some sense

it is my opinion that it is the male population that have suddenly discovered fashion. i think it is a change in attitude, some men are finnaly accepting that liking fashion and having an iterest in clothes doesnt automaticaly make them gay. unfortunatly this is still the veiw of most English Men. it seem the younger generation take fashion and even grooming far more seriously. simple the amount of mens fashion magazines is testomany to the increased interest. back to the question, the constant struggle off the consumer to be an inovator can only have a positive effect on the industry.
the growing sub-section of society that includes me that take an interest in fashion new trends has forced the high street to more quickly interprit and reproduce what is seen in high/boutique fashion, i feel this dilutes the trend and forces those that want something different to move on more quickly thus perpetuation the cycle. i think fashion is still fashionalbe i just think things stay fashionable for a shorter time.

I've been thinking about this for along time. . . .
I didn't know whether is was because I have been more consious about 'fashion' or is indeed that it is now fashionable to be in 'fashion'.
I think this has really exploded in the UK this summer and has indefinatly led to many people looking the same.
I think, like melt says that this may be coming from over exposure of celebrities as role models for fashion.

le bon said:
it is my opinion that it is the male population that have suddenly discovered fashion. i think it is a change in attitude, some men are finnaly accepting that liking fashion and having an iterest in clothes doesnt automaticaly make them gay. unfortunatly this is still the veiw of most English Men. it seem the younger generation take fashion and even grooming far more seriously. simple the amount of mens fashion magazines is testomany to the increased interest. back to the question, the constant struggle off the consumer to be an inovator can only have a positive effect on the industry.
the growing sub-section of society that includes me that take an interest in fashion new trends has forced the high street to more quickly interprit and reproduce what is seen in high/boutique fashion, i feel this dilutes the trend and forces those that want something different to move on more quickly thus perpetuation the cycle. i think fashion is still fashionalbe i just think things stay fashionable for a shorter time.

I hadn't thought of this but now that you mention it you are absolutely right... men have started to acquire a taste in fashion... only they don't call it trends :lol: Trend is a "gay" word... fashion too... they prefer to call it "having a personal style"...

And you are right about this mania for new innovative fashion will eventually have to force the designers for that something new we've been waiting for quite a few years now... all this revival of retro fashion has made it very easy for people to follow it... maybe this is one more reason why being fashionable is "trendier" than ever... it's repetition and has been already understood and been absorbed before... it doesn't need time for it to be comprehended so it makes it easily consumable and hence, easily disposable...

Last edited by a moderator:
i would agree with melt. the recent vintage style has made this specific trend far more accesable to the masses but this has spawned an interest in trends within the hearts of many of the uninitiated. another aspect i have noticed, women havetraditionaly been spending a larger proportion of thre income of fashion items. i know many who have gone hungry 1 month for that new item. the new phonominon is that men are becoming more likly to do this.

boho_babe said:
I've been thinking about this for along time. . . .
I didn't know whether is was because I have been more consious about 'fashion' or is indeed that it is now fashionable to be in 'fashion'.
I think this has really exploded in the UK this summer and has indefinatly led to many people looking the same.
I think, like melt says that this may be coming from over exposure of celebrities as role models for fashion.

I know what you mean.its kind of like before boho inspired dressing of last year there were trends, but none exploded as much as that one did when suddenly every other girl was doing it. (in the uk at least) It just seems like everyone is getting more fashion concious and i think celebrity is certainly having an influence on it, even gossip things like Heat have a "steal her style" section.
Again im not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing, its nice that people are having more of an interest in fashion, but again if everyone looks exactly the same then it all falls a bit flat. Especially as some people seem to blind;y follow trends which aren't flattering for them, i think it would be better if people found out what kind of cut and fit suited them and build on from that.

hmm excellent points posted above
this new 'interest' in being fashionable, could be a 'collaboration' of starstyle, men's 'awakening', retro and new trends..

so is fashion still fashionable for 06?

i believe the awnser differs between social grouping. the whole young trendy scene that hit the lables rather than understanding the style definatly think that there fashoin is fashionable. this may sound outandishly snobish and pretensious but those in the know can percieve that being fashionable has very little to do with designer lables to you the individual. l

it is all about discovering generaly through trail and error a look that supliments who you are as an individual.

Lena said:

I love what you said Lena. :flower:

It's true that trends are moving very quickly and a lot more people are catching on (from what I see around here). It also may have to do with the appearance of high street labels, making new trends a lot more accessible to the mainstream (Zara, H&M), and mainstream stores trying to copy high street stores...

Ironically enough, I think the rampant interest of fashion isn't necessarily about fashion, but status quo in different cultures. It has always been status quo to wear certain brands or trends but it has been taken to a whole new level with "it" bags, counterfeiting, and a general preference in the media of high end/luxury fashion to good ole mall variety.

It is my belief that the desire to compete with the joneses, have the biggest vehicle, biggest tv, and biggest mansion has also transcended to fashion.

I think it could be contributed in part by the tv shows about fashion (project runway, america's next top model...)

i think it is. and a big part of it is the overwhelming celebrity culture we're experiencing. paparazzi catch celebs doing everything nowadays, so they have to pay more attention to how they're dressed, which in turn makes us, "the regular people," more attentive to how we dress. the only way this cycle can stop is through tougher paparazzi laws and guidelines.

there was actually an article similar to this subject in a recent teen vogue.

It would be great if someone could scan and post this article....

le bon said:
i believe the awnser differs between social grouping. the whole young trendy scene that hit the lables rather than understanding the style definatly think that there fashoin is fashionable. this may sound outandishly snobish and pretensious but those in the know can percieve that being fashionable has very little to do with designer lables to you the individual. l

I agree completely , I know people who have style but they don't adhere to any clear trends. Having style and being fashionable are two completely different things.

i don't think "fashion" itself is fashionable at the moment, and i think that's definitely a good thing. i'm happy the mainstream has moved on from the tendency a couple of years ago to focus on the label and size of the logo to the fit, the cut and the uniqueness of the item. i don't actually think that more people are fashion-conscious than a few years ago, but people are thinking more about what they wear. the whole retro/vintage trend has probably helped propel this, with more people thinking about the longevity and timelesness of their pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valkirius
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->