Knitting!

I've seen pictures of a knit sweater coat with a lining. Either the girl didn't care about it showing through, or it was really tightly knit. A lining on a felted piece wouldn't show through.

Speaking of felted, my jacket's currently drying. B)
View attachment 442108

I made a booboo though. There was a loose thread around the collar and it unravelled a bit. :( I'll have to figure out how to mend it.

OMG!!! i haven't checked in for a bit. you're almost done!! i want to make this jacket SOOOOOOOOOOO badly!! i seriously cannot wait!!

lady.stardust the jacket looks wonderful! You are doing a great job!

You said in an earlier post that you've just begun knitting a few months ago... is this your first major knitting project (excluding scarves, gloves, & other accessories)?

Thank you!

Yes, it is. If I don't count a sweater I gave up on. But I'll get back to that eventually.

lady.stardust - that looks brilliant, and you made it so quickly. I bet you are really pleased with how it turned out.

I never heard of darts in knitting like some people mentioned earlier. I thought you increased & decreased stitches to give shape to knitted garments

I'm very impressed lady.stardust.

I'm going to start knitting again... although I haven't attempted anything in almost 2 years. :o I'm feeling very inspired. :D

I never heard of darts in knitting like some people mentioned earlier. I thought you increased & decreased stitches to give shape to knitted garments

Yeah. Along with short rows. He'd replace the darts with any of these methods depending where they're going.

I've now resorted to wearing the jacket around the house instead of laying it on wet towels hoping that will speed up drying. :rolleyes:

have any of you ever heard of double knitting ?

I've read the instructions/tutorials... haven't doubled knitted yet.

What about you Gius? Have you double knitted anything? :smile:

not yet but i will soon ^_^
when i posted the question, i didn't know what it was..

i saw a tangerine fabric sample of a double knit in a magazine.. loved it.. it was a fine knit but two layers. and i was wondering how they were joined together (they weren't glued together)

i've been doing some reading and know now what it is...
you can do a seamless tube
or a two-layer fabric/reversible fabric
with the double knit technique

if any of you use a knitting machine
there are instructions for it here: http://heidisknittingroom.ourfamily.com/DoubleKnittingInstructions.htm
i'm still trying to understand them :blush:

Do you mean double bed knitting? And the knit in that picture looks like a jacquard. You can achieve this using the ribber bed on a domestic machine.

the picture, i think they also call it "intarsia" ^

using a ribber, are you sure you can create two layers of fabric?
i have only read about using a ribber for when you want some stitches to be purl and the rest are stockinette (using the 'main' bed)... and this creates only one layer

You could just knit with all needles on both bed, with none pushed down, to achieve the double bed effect. I believe you can knit circular as well, as well as some kind of jacquard. Intarsia is different, it's more like this sweater, and only one layer.

oh i see..
i have a Bond classic
i don't think the product has a ribber available..

what kind of machine do you have?

i have a knitmaster 360 with a ribber, intarsia and lace carriage (though i can't use these very well). I'm hoping to try more stuff out in the summer, especially bits with the ribber, as it can do double jacquard.

maybe in the future i'll get something advanced like that :smile: i'm still figuring mine out..

i'll have to do double knit by hand with the instructions

^ Very, very, very excellent! You have indeed done a superb job!! :woot:

I love the shape, color, and (especially) the cuffs on the sleeves. :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aytac523
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->