Mineral Makeup

i just became a believer in Bare Minerals.. I used to never wear make up on my face just bronzer every now and then but when used after lightly exfoliating and moisturizing my face looks flawless and does not look like i am wearing makeup, which is very important to me since i think wearing layers of face makeup never looks good. just a light dusting covers up any imperfections...i'm so happy with it! but now that someone recommended Everyday Minerals I want to try that next!

thanks. well i only get oily on t-zone and chin. which is where my acne usually is. i've tried revlon but it actually made my skin breakout everywhere. i have yet to find a foundation that works well with my skin :(
i was thinking of trying Everyday minerals since there were many good reviews on here and the shipping on the free sample kit is only 4 bucks. thanks for the help though,AlaFramboise!

Be aware. There are many similar articles on the web about the potential dangers of bare minerals makeup. I love many of their products but am tossing them out!

Question: Is mineral-based make-up safer for you than make-up bought at drug stores or department stores? Most of the mineral-based make-up contains titanium dioxide and/or silica, and some contain iron of some type. Is this okay for your skin? I am wondering how such make-up is absorbed into the body, too!
Answer: Like all cosmetics, mineral-based products raise more questions about their safety than answers. Many mineral-based make-ups contain (or potentially contain) nano-size ingredients, which are 10 to 1,000 times smaller than their normally-sized counterparts and are more likely to be absorbed into the body through the skin because they're so small. (See EWG's research on nano-materials.)

One recent study by the National Center for Toxicological Research found that nano-sized particles could be detected throughout the lymphatic system within minutes after being deposited in the skin of mice. And once nano-particles are absorbed by the body, studies to date suggest that they are quite damaging--for instance, they can cause emphysema-like symptoms when absorbed into the lungs and are toxic to a variety of cells. In short, it is a good idea to avoid inhaling mineral-based cosmetics--be careful to not create dust, as particles can quickly absorb deep into the lungs--and avoid using them on damaged skin where the likelihood of absorption is dramatically increased.
As for the second part of the question, we have a limited understanding of the ingredients titanium dioxide, silica, and iron, as used in cosmetics. (Click on each ingredient to learn more about what we do know in our cosmetics database, Skin Deep.) Why don't we know more? Because the FDA doesn't require companies to test their own products for safety. If you think that's ridiculous, sign our petition to the FDA urging them to set safety standards when it comes to the products we all use every day.
enviroblog.org

And more info http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/116/powder

If your skin is all that oily, chel, then i wouldn't reccomend mineral makeup. I was a bare minerals b*tch back in the day, i used to shove that stuff ALL OVER my face, nonstop. it was crack to me. but at the end of the day, it fell into lines in my face, made my pores look huge, and made me super super shiny. for oily skin (me), you should use something more mattifying. At the moment, for an everday i use revlon colorstay, very medium coverage, great tones for pale skin, and extremely matte when used with some powder overtop, which is KEY for oily skin.

Bare Minerals contains something called Bismuth and that is probably why it made your skin look so shiny. Check out this link to learn more about Bismuth. It is also the likely cause most people get skin irritations from wearing BM. http://www.themineralmakeup.com/mineral-makeup-and-bismuth-oxychloride/07/13/2006/

Oh and to chel4mdavali I recommend you go to themineralmakeup.com and see the reviews there and pick what's right for you. Most mineral makeup brands have free samples you can order and everyone's skin reacts in a different way to other brands of mineral makeup.

I've been using BE for a couple of years but am itching for a change. After reading all the glowing reviews of EM I've decided to give it a try. I just ordered the free sample kit and I can't wait :woot:

Hipkitten- How did you like the EM?

I love love love it! 100x better than Bare Escentuals, IMO. I had to get 2 free sample kits in order to find the right foundation. I ended up getting the Intensive formula foundation (the name scared me at first, but it looks amazing on). I use much less, the coverage is more natural, it wears better/longer, and it doesn't irritate my skin. I am so happy I switched to EM! Highly recommended :heart:

I think mineral makeup makes me break out. I recently ordered a sample from Everyday Minerals, and I've had the worst acne experience ever... in my entire life. I have never had such a horrible break-out. I'm hoping that this is actually b/c my period is coming soon and not an effect of the make-up. I've stopped using it, but I'll try it again after my period.

How do you guys store your kabuki brush ?
I got mine from MAC in a flimsy plastic container that isn't going to hold it much longer..

I haven't seen any kabuki pouches anywhere..

How do you guys store your kabuki brush ?
I got mine from MAC in a flimsy plastic container that isn't going to hold it much longer..

I haven't seen any kabuki pouches anywhere..

I don't know if you would want to invest in a new brush entirely, but my tarte kabuki brush came in a cute, purple, faux crocodile skin case
P99808_hero.jpg

sephora.com

Unfortunately tarte does not ship internationally.. but I think I'll start to look for something similar on ebay. Thanks angela xx :flower:

I use galaxy dust http://www.galaxydust.com/ and I like it, plus it's cheap...but I haven't tried many mineral powders. The colors seem a little off on me so I ordered the free sample kit from everyday minerals after reading all the good reviews here. I wasn't sure what colors or formula to get, but they have so many shades on the EM website, I'm sure I'll find my shade eventually. ^_^

I just ordered some samples of the Everyday Minerals, but I'm curious if anyone has tried the Laura Mercier mineral foundation? How does it compare to Bare minerals or EM?

Bump... I just tried my EM for the first time and think I'm going to go for a full size product. Are their brushes any good? I have the kabuki brush from BE but don't really like it. Also, what is the difference between all the finishing powders? Which is the best? I don't want to look dry and powdery.

Bump... I just tried my EM for the first time and think I'm going to go for a full size product. Are their brushes any good? I have the kabuki brush from BE but don't really like it. Also, what is the difference between all the finishing powders? Which is the best? I don't want to look dry and powdery.

I just got the Long Handled Kabuki brush and the Premium Flat Top brush based on their reviews on MUA. For the kabuki, it didn't give me enough coverage/disperse enough foundation. But i guess if you don't need too much coverage it would be okay. But for the flat top brush, I am IN LOVE :woot: It gives a lot more coverage than any other brush i've used for MU. Def recommend it! Haven't tried any other brushes or finishing powders though.

I just got the Long Handled Kabuki brush and the Premium Flat Top brush based on their reviews on MUA. For the kabuki, it didn't give me enough coverage/disperse enough foundation. But i guess if you don't need too much coverage it would be okay. But for the flat top brush, I am IN LOVE :woot: It gives a lot more coverage than any other brush i've used for MU. Def recommend it! Haven't tried any other brushes or finishing powders though.

I second the Flat Top brush - it's amazing! It's super soft and gives just the right amount of coverage. Highly recommended :flower:

Hello Everyone :smile:

Regarding EM I was wondering what blushes would be suitable for someone with the same skin tone as say; Eva Longoria, when she is more tanned? I have similar colouring, ie; hair, eyes, skin but with more yellow undertone. I like the look of waffle cone, but I wanted more opinions. Because I live in the UK shipping will take forever, if not at all for the free sample, so I want go ahead and purchase ( Im super impatient ).Any input from you girlies would be luvvllyyyyy....

Mwah

I'm finally getting around to trying mineral makeup. Question: I have hyperpigmentation issues (dark spots). How much coverage will the makeup provide? Also, do you have to use a primer with mineral makeup for the best results or will my normal moisturizer/sunscreen work (I use Obagi so it's already a ton of products in the AM)

I just ordered some samples of the Everyday Minerals, but I'm curious if anyone has tried the Laura Mercier mineral foundation? How does it compare to Bare minerals or EM?

I've used some of Laura Mercier's mineral products;
the powder foundation and finishing powder...didn't love either I have to say.
I guess I prefer a liquid foundation, I find I get a better finish. The powder foundation felt heavy on my face and looked like I was wearing MU. The finishing powder (which I used over my fav liquid foundation - Armani LSF) only comes in two shades...and while both shades are supposed to be transparent, everytime I wore the coloured one (no matter how lightly I dusted it on) I felt like it made my face pink!!
I haven't tried any other mineral make up, I was kinda put off by these experiences and that a make up artist was telling me that it ages you because it sits so heavy on the skin...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valkirius
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->