• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Model Trends Over The Years

I think the Dutch models are rising as well.

I think it's safe to say they are just reigning supreme. I'd actually place that on your list in post #1 as the trend for 2011. It has shifted from the blonde Dutchies to just all Dutch.

I also hope we continue to see older in age models on the rise -- and that it's not a trend, but something that will be the norm.

I think this is a micro-movement that has solidified recently: they are mostly dark haired, but with a refined, or at least alternative, appeal (with features such as pronounced nose and forehead, the space of their eyes, etc).

i can indeed see that "trend", we just have to take a look at the Louis Vuitton campaign..
other models that i think might fit in this group too are Marte Mei, Ros Georgiou, Nadja Bender, Othilia Simon, Daga Ziober and maybe some blondes like Vanessa Axente or Ophelie Rupp

did i got it right?:unsure:

Yeah, there are so many big noses girls right now. Maria B., Marie P., Ros, Caterina (etc)
I really like it :lol:

I think your mentions fit technically-speaking. What I felt about the group I initially posted is that they do not only had those currently acceptable physical features, they also brought something special, an alternative, an image, to the high fashion scene.

Another model that I might add would be Carla Gebhart, someone who showed that sophisticated elegance right from the start, apart from the facial features previously mentioned. And is another one who, coincidentally, happened to be favored by Balenciaga at some point.

Carla Gebhart for Hussein Chalayan, Fall 2012
Hussein_Chalayan_Fall_2012_hisy7f5jg_FRx.jpg

stylebistro

I also hope we continue to see older in age models on the rise -- and that it's not a trend, but something that will be the norm.
I hope to see this develop further too. The current group of mature models that has risen from this generation has shown how much life experience adds more credibility to fashion, as it used to be some years ago.

That 'alternative' trend doesn't make me happy. It looks to gloomy to me. :(

I'm able to like (quite) edgy features, as long as there's still some freshness.

Good old Gemma Ward had a good balance between 'edgy' and 'fresh faced', but that kind of look is totally over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your mentions fit technically-speaking. What I felt about the group I initially posted is that they do not only had those currently acceptable physical features, they also brought something special, an alternative, an image, to the high fashion scene.

Another model that I might add would be Carla Gebhart, someone who showed that sophisticated elegance right from the start, apart from the facial features previously mentioned. And is another one who, coincidentally, happened to be favored by Balenciaga at some point.

so it seems that Balenciaga has been the main responsable of the success of this kind of girls.. i'd say that CK is also an influence considering that Carla, Franzi Muller and Laura K. coincidentally were all exclusives for their shows, and i think Steven Meisel could be another one??

Taking in consideration the last months from last year as an eve of what this year has brought so far, I would say 2013 is all about natural freshness. No more fake platinum blondies with bleached brows walking down the hall. It doesn't matter if the hair's ashy blond or brunette as long as you keep it looking real. Facial features don't necessarily have to be cutting edge or super alternative to attract attention. It's all about classic beauties with soft and delicate profiles that make contrast with the strong intensity of other features like big bushy brows (the biggest hightlight of the trend imo) or unique shaped eyes. I'd say girls like Cara, Tamara, Edie, Marine, Antonina, Manon, Rosie, Ondria, Loulou, Ruby Jean, Tilda are perfect examples of the trend... I'd dare to say even Kate Upton fits in the category as well, even thought her name is not the 1st thing that normally comes to mind to most people when they think of HF, all the huge buzz around her from many big names in the industry has somehow contributed in the way aesthetics are perceived in general in the world of modelling... and there's been a better placement for classic beauties and less alternative-looking girls than it used to to be a few seasons ago. It's definitely all about the real and the natural simplicity.

126532800w.jpg

models.com / style.com

Yes.
Approved.
In the sea of uncharismatic young girls, they really do stand out, in a good way.

On the topic of larger/roman noses, I think that Julia Nobis should be named!

^^^ who is the girl with bangs before ondria?
Posted via Mobile Device

I think there is a current trend towards very individual looking models who are not beautiful in a classic way (e.g. Kelly Mittendorf, Diandra Forrest, Andrej Pejic, Kadri Vahersalu...)
And I see a trend towards slightly older models (in the end of their 20s instead of teenagers, e.g. Kati Nescher, Anja Rubik, Lara Stone...)

I think there is a current trend towards very individual looking models who are not beautiful in a classic way (e.g. Kelly Mittendorf, Diandra Forrest, Andrej Pejic, Kadri Vahersalu...)
And I see a trend towards slightly older models (in the end of their 20s instead of teenagers, e.g. Kati Nescher, Anja Rubik, Lara Stone...)

Definitely older models, Saskia de Brauw, Aymeline Valade, Ji Hye Park (who is 25 if I counted correctly), Marie Piovesan, etc.

Definitely older models, Saskia de Brauw, Aymeline Valade, Ji Hye Park (who is 25 if I counted correctly), Marie Piovesan, etc.

Don't forget Sung Hee, the new Korean girl in the latest Prada campaign, is 27!!!

While watching Fendi earlier this morning, it really dawned on me how many top runway walkers these days are what you would probably consider androgynous. Not as extreme as say Omahyra Mota, but far cry from say the baby doll faces of the mid 2000s.

while this isn't obvious, i feel like the oldschool barbie doll is present in a few girls

barbie.jpg

adjusts-her-shade.blogspot

lage forehead, very large eyes with a tiny nose and full lips

[URL=http://imgbox.com/acwCkI5N][/URL] [url=http://postimage.org/image/4os6b0idh/][/URL] [URL=http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/14718364/2.jpg.html][/URL]
style, stylebistro, fashionmag

1. Frida Aasen
2. Sam Rollinson
3. Irene Hiemstra

though it is a lot more noticeable with Sam and Frida I am sure there are other girls who fit this but im too tired to find them :lol:

None of the ideas on the last 2 pages are resonating with me, not that I can offer up anything better!

It just seems like a free for all, anything goes, nowadays.

Or maybe it's because we're trying to look at it in a yearly/current way instead of a decades based approach.

while this isn't obvious, i feel like the oldschool barbie doll is present in a few girls

adjusts-her-shade.blogspot

lage forehead, very large eyes with a tiny nose and full lips

style, stylebistro, fashionmag

1. Frida Aasen
2. Sam Rollinson
3. Irene Hiemstra

*Please do not quote pictures*
though it is a lot more noticeable with Sam and Frida I am sure there are other girls who fit this but im too tired to find them :lol:

While I don't see it in Sam, I see it in Frida. But I also always thought Daphne G and Lindsey W had a lot of vintage 50's features and sometimes look like the vintage Barbie Doll. Frida G also has that 50's doll like face. There are definitely other girls out there too.
I think a lot of it is defined by a large sloping forehead, very short nose that turns upwards, a tapered/less square jaw and full lips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abaloney01
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->