Paris shopping

I was there in April, and stayed in the St. Germain area. The shops on and around Rue De Four (sp??) were great!

Hey guys,

I am new here to this board. My husband, 16 month old baby, and I are going to Paris and London next month. I am holding out buying my fall and winter wardrobe until I get to Paris.

Here is what I want.....can you help me find it?

1. Cost equivilant and comparable style to Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters, Banana Republic, etc. (Responsible mom now....can't blow all the cash) :P
2. Clothes that are cute and flirty but not ridiculous for a mom to wear (nothing dry clean only or something making me look like I am trying to dress younger...I am 27)
3. Clothes flattering to tall and somewhat curvy figure. (American size 8)
4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, please!
5. Bags, bags, bags, please!

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Nathalie

Please don't tell me to look elsewhere, I'd really like a current collection of suggestions for my trip in September, as I really value all of your opinions.

I'd like some shopping and eating ideas, as well as touristy recommendations, ie the Louvre, or anything else you would like to suggest.

Thankyou! :flower:

Why don't you want to look elsewhere? It's been covered two, three times in the past year....

Champ Eleysee (cant remember the spelling) for the shopping, hanging out and restaurants.

I'd recommend the magazine (as mentioned in another thread as well) BAG for shopping. There's maps in it and it's easy to find the good shops There's a lot of vintage and secondhand shops in it as well (my own favorite is Kiliwatch on Rue Tiquetonne). You have to see Colette and l'Eclaireur (especially the one on Rue Herold is :woot: ) and take a walk down Rue de Faubourg St. Honoré and Rue St. Honoré and enjoy all the beautiful shops. I'm not really so good on the dining places, but there's a very nice atmosphere if you into the quarter between the Seine and Boulevard St. Germain, where loads and loads of small and cosy restaurants are situated. If you want to do something a little more fance I'd go to Buddha Bar (my own personal fave) which is situated between Place de la Concorde and Rue de Faubourg St. Honoré (or maybe just Rue St. Honoré, sorry, don't remember). At least I remember it's very close to Hermès store and I guess it's easy to look up on the net.

Well, This is at least where I'm going when I'm in to Paris, tho I find new places all the time. Enjoy your trip. :flower:

As far as shopping i would avoid Avenue des Champs-Elysees, it's filled with boring stores you can find anywhere (sephora etc.). Same goes for Galeries Lafayette. There is this cool consigment shop but i'm going blank, if i remember the name i'll post it. Rue de Faubourg St. Honoré is where all the high end shops are. Everyone seems to love Collette, i think it's ok for the super trendy items. As far as tourist attractions, i'm sure you can figure those out (for museums of course you have to go to the louvre, Pompidou is also fun etc. ) Stroll through the parks etc. It's a gorgeous city, you can lose yourself for days just wandering around aimlessly.

OK. Going to Paris for weekend next week. Pretend budget is not an option. Looking for tips on stuff I could buy. I am likely to be going to the following stores:-

1. Colette
2. Comme des Garcons
3. Gallarie lafaette
4. Dior Homme
5. Bon Marche
6. Miu Miu
7. Y's.

If any of you have any tips from either having seen the stuff from these stores (in Paris or otherwise) or any other ideas generally, I'd much appreciate it.

:flower:

I'd generally take a stroll in Le Marais, and I'm sure Helena will advise you to do the same. I don't know if you need shoes, but Stephane Kelian (on Champes Elysee (sp?)) prices are half of what they are in the US. Hmm, I don't know that much about shopping in Paris, come to think of it :unsure: I always ask salespeople in stores.

I hope Lena reads your post, she knows Paris well. Also, search the forums, it's been discussed before.

Now, if you were stopping in Antwerp, I'd tell you EVERYTHING :lol:

Originally posted by faust@Aug 11 2004, 10:50 AM
I'd generally take a stroll in Le Marais, and I'm sure Helena will advise you to do the same. I don't know if you need shoes, but Stephane Kelian (on Champes Elysee (sp?)) prices are half of what they are in the US. Hmm, I don't know that much about shopping in Paris, come to think of it :unsure: I always ask salespeople in stores.

I hope Lena reads your post, she knows Paris well. Also, search the forums, it's been discussed before.

Now, if you were stopping in Antwerp, I'd tell you EVERYTHING :lol:
[snapback]328293[/snapback]​

It's not so much places that I'm thinking of, it's pieces - things for me to buy rather than places to go. The Marais has Leclairuer but Helena doesn't like that for reasons I won't go into :lol: Other than that it's mainly women's shops in the Marais.

Faust, speaking of antwerp, have you seens any dries pieces thar you like? I don't go for the other Belgians much (sorry!) althoug I do have a great Ann D sweater in organce cotton/cashmere, that I got from Leclariuer actually, about three years ago, which is really nice.

Originally posted by Fashionism@Aug 11 2004, 11:05 AM
how do you like secondhand and vintage stores ?
[snapback]328306[/snapback]​

Erm, I have to confess that I'm not so big on those.

all right. i thought that. i won't bother you with any addresses right now then. :wink: i'll be thinking ..

Originally posted by Johnny@Aug 11 2004, 10:57 AM
Faust, speaking of antwerp, have you seens any dries pieces thar you like? I don't go for the other Belgians much (sorry!) althoug I do have a great Ann D sweater in organce cotton/cashmere, that I got from Leclariuer actually, about three years ago, which is really nice.
[snapback]328301[/snapback]​

No, lately my style has shifted from Dries to edgier/rockier stuff that Ann D, Les Hommes, Raf Simons, Hedi Slimane produce. But I used to like his stuff a lot, and still have plenty of it in my closet that I'll never part with. I would love to own a Dries scarf - I think it's a staple in any wardrobe. I still like his women's clothes a lot, very light and romantic. Also, I'm always a sucker for good embroidery, and noone does it like Dries. Have you looked into Veronique Branqhuino's men's line she launched a year ago? I think it might suit your style, but she has fitting issues (at least for me). Also, looks like the reborn McQueen line is nice, but you don't have to leave your country for that :P

I remember we had a discussion on the Pressing Shop, a new store in Paris, you might want to search for that.

Originally posted by faust@Aug 11 2004, 11:14 AM
No, lately my style has shifted from Dries to edgier/rockier stuff that Ann D, Les Hommes, Raf Simons, Hedi Slimane produce. But I used to like his stuff a lot, and still have plenty of it in my closet that I'll never part with. I would love to own a Dries scarf - I think it's a staple in any wardrobe. I still like his women's clothes a lot, very light and romantic. Also, I'm always a sucker for good embroidery, and noone does it like Dries. Have you looked into Veronique Branqhuino's men's line she launched a year ago? I think it might suit your style, but she has fitting issues (at least for me). Also, looks like the reborn McQueen line is nice, but you don't have to leave your country for that :P

I remember we had a discussion on the Pressing Shop, a new store in Paris, you might want to search for that.
[snapback]328317[/snapback]​

Dries and Margiela are no only other designers i really look at these days, although I find that Margiela is quite dull. I like Dior but don't have any. It seems too expensive to me, and I'm just not thin enough or young enough to carry it off. Having said that, he has done some great grey coats this season I think, but again they are likely to be too much for me (in price terms). I have looked at VB, but it does seem very fitted (I assume that is your fit problem). It looks a bit to keenly retro to me. I may have a look though. Also I quite liked Martine Sitbon's menswear but i don't know if she even does it any more. They had it in G Lafayette.

Thanks

PS. I got a lovely Dries scarf this spring, you're right about them. Actually a new one for winter will def be on my potentials list for Paree!

i like this from dries... :heart: ...but you know i dig the collegiate look...maybe it has something to so with the fact that my father is a professor...hmmm...should i be worried... :unsure: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
we don't know your wordrobe that well johnny...you don't post on the what are you wearing thread very often...i wouldn't really know what else to recommend....

Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 11 2004, 11:51 AM
we don't know your wordrobe that well johnny...you don't post on the what are you wearing thread very often...i wouldn't really know what else to recommend....
[snapback]328352[/snapback]​

Fair comment. The outfit you posted was nice. I like the trousers.

While you are in GALERIES LAFAYETTE , please look out for the re-born MONTANA line , for men . :rolleyes:

It COULD be good . :unsure:

If you see it , please report back . :flower:

KIT :innocent:

PS

Pop into JEAN CLAUDE JITROIS on the Rue du Fourbourg St. Honore , to see the most exquisite couture leather clothes for both men and women . :heart:

If you are in the Place des Victoires area , you MUST take in MARITHE ET FRANCOIS GIRBAUD , at 38 Rue Etienne Marcel , and I feel SURE you will be tempted by a pair of their quirky and idiosyncratic jeans . :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->