• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Poll: Most Reasonably Priced Designer?

Andro

Reaction score
The "Most Overpriced Designer" thread give me this idea to discuss any Designer collections which are the best value for your money. I'm not talking about a $10'000 Hermes bag that will last 10-15 years... But designer's who have top quality clothes, shoes, and accessories that are sold at upper scale department stores, specialty stores, and boutiques. and- Labels like H&M, Abercrombie, Club Monaco, Banana Republic, bebe, Guess?, and BCBG don't count. For example, some labels I believe are excellent values(although still expensive compared to mainstream) are:

1. Burberry- even though I'm not a fan. Their pieces are fairly justified and offer good styles.

2. Maxmara- their coats are especially affordable starting at $795 and up.

3. Marc by Marc Jacobs- He understands that style isn't about money and you can see it in the understated detail of his clothes.

5. Costume National- Intelligent styles. Good deals for under $500

.. theres more but I can't think of them right now

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also add Dries van Noten, whose garments (for a major designer) I've never thought to be overpriced given their quality and workmanship.

I actually disagree with the Marc by Marc line. Sure, the prices are less than his mainline, but the quality is really very low... much lower than the prices ($150 for cheap made in China khaki's that aren't any better than the Gap's $29.99 doesn't really strike me as a great bargain.)

John

rach2jlc said:
I actually disagree with the Marc by Marc line. Sure, the prices are less than his mainline, but the quality is really very low... much lower than the prices ($150 for cheap made in China khaki's that aren't any better than the Gap's $29.99 doesn't really strike me as a great bargain.)

John

I have to agree as well. I love Marc by Marc items, and buy them quite frequently...but I always make sure that it is a piece I won't be able to find anywhere else. A white button-up with blue dots is certainly not worth 160 USD, but a clor blocked cardigan or crazy leather belt is worth shelling out some money for. I do however have to make an exception for his coats. The quality is up to par with the price, they just lack in tailoring. ...so if you have a very boxy figure than they are a great buy.

Well,having seen the pieces,I think Preen has great stuff for reasonable prices...especially considering they utilise alot of great high-quality English fabrication. Such as their t'shirts-they have a great,soft cotton weave.

i know that these dont count but i really really like guess and bebe !! and im going to have to go with marc by marc jacobs good quality worth the price

rach2jlc said:
I would also add Dries van Noten, whose garments (for a major designer) I've never thought to be overpriced given their quality and workmanship.

John

I suppose maybe you're right. I guess that is what has prevented me from ever making a MARC purchase. I remember this cute baseball jacket at bloomingdales for $95 but I never got it cuz I thought it looked cheap with the seams hanging out and everything.

p.s. I also think Pucci is a great value, considering is historical status and suberb desgins. I've seen Pucci bandanas for $45 and their pocket squares go on sale at Neimans for $35. And their full sized scarves are marked down to $65 and $70.

Pringle also has some nice virgin wool argyle sweaters for under $300. I saw some of their stuff at Fred Segal's in Santa Monica a couple seasons ago and the accessories were especially well priced... $90 for an oversized duffel handbag.

Agreed about Dries - very reasonable in today's pricing bonanza.
Helmut Lang (RIP) was pretty accessible in general.
Costume National was accessible - I don't think they are anymore.
Early Cloak had accessible prices - that is no longer the case.

Hmm, too many past sentences, lol - honestly, in the past 3-4 years prices have went through the roof. In Y2K I thought that $350 for a pair of shoes was a lot to ask - today you pay that on sale :ermm:

Good point, Faust.

Y2K, not only was $350 a lot to ask for shoes but, GASP... perhaps you paid $150 for a pair of jeans!!! A pair of jeans, no less!!

Now, we talk about $175 being a damn bargain. I think our society is going nuts. :P

John

/\ I've been thinking why the sale season in New York has been pushed to start earlier and earlier with each year. I think the only explanation I have is that these crazy prices have made the divide between those who look at price tags and those who don't much greater, which makes the stores worry that they won't sell the merchandise unless they extend the sale season. I know I certainly got priced out of the full price game in the past few years...

^I dont think there is such a thing..If you're being asked to pay $200+ for sunglasses, then I doubt you'll find anything else there w/ a reasonable pricetag..

Marc Jacobs, United Colors of Benneton (does this count?) are two that come to mind.

Again, Marc Jacobs reasonably priced???? We talked about the diffusion line not being particularly reasonable, so surely we aren't going to include the mainline with its $300+ pants, $250 shirts, $1000+ jackets and $350+ shoes? I like MJ as much as the next guy, but he's not any cheaper than any other major designer, from Prada to Gucci. I'm not trying to argue with people on this thread... but come on! We might as well say Yohji Yamamoto or LV is reasonable.

Yeah, Faust, I hardly even bother going to the stores during regular season. Usually, if I see a runway item that I really like, I then go home, light some incense and say a prayer to the clothing gods that it will end up on yoox the next year. :wink:

John

Honestly, I don't think any designers are affordable or reasonably priced.

Growing up poor (apparently acording to most TFS ers standards) my mom bought my clothes at wal-mart; my shoes from payless. if we were going to spend a lot- we went to JC Penny.

I never thought I was underpriviledged or poor.

Now that I'm buying my own clothes, I feel luxuriant that I mostly shop at stores like Jcrew and Banana Republic! And if I get designer shoes from saks- well it's a special treat, and I cherish those manolos!

but I think that anyone who says that anything designer could be considered reasonable is deluded. Despite the difference in quality, and craftsmanship- shoes from payless and shoes from prada CANNOT be so different in manufacture cost that the pradas are worth 25 times as much- even exotic skins are not That valuable.

Basically I feel like anything designer is a luxury- it is something you buy to treat yourself- something to add an edge to your already extant wardrobe. the way I look at it is- I don't accept that 1000.00 is a reasonable price for a top- I accept that I want the top so badly that I'm willing to pay 1000.00 for it.

Just my thoughts

Saks and Bergdorf's are good places to buy reasonably priced designer, when you have the VIP card which gives you a rather good discount.

Marc Jacobs is reasonable for designers though. But the part about designer items is that most people buy it for the quality and the brand. So, the more it costs, the more recognizable it usually is.

I`d add too Boss and Zegna even though it's for men it has reasonably prices

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chelseaboys
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->