• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Prada : What Went Wrong?

It's about time they started selling clothes online. Prada RTW is the hottest and most coveted in the business. If they offer unmodified runway pieces they will almost be guaranteed to sell out. The Fall collection is a great one to start with, it's all desirable.

Selling online will help their business like crazy. Just look at MiuMiu. Their key runway pieces are always soldout.
It's a pity when you are such a brand and when you spend an insane amount of money to organize fashion shows for all of your collections, to not make them available in any type of way. Chanel & Celine have found the way for them to make people go in their stores instead of having to sell online: they made the prices available in their website, for every items.

It'll make their menswear stronger and more relevant. It'll not only be a "fashion-afficionados" thing.

It's great that they are finally embracing the online sale. For me, what makes differentiate brands that have online sales and only in-store sale are the experience. Chanel is well established brand but their stores are full of runway pieces, organized with wonderful finishes and it creates great experience. I also love Celine store. The identity is so on-point. A trip to a Prada store always disappoints. It's so dull and I couldn't even find a runway dress, it just wasn't exciting.

Look at Gucci, they changed the designer, they direction, redefine the brand but they kept the online store, even launched an exclusive online-only products. That's where people are now. They were just so slow at that. Chanel has been digitally savvy with their facebook ads and online video production.

Chanel & Celine have found the way for them to make people go in their stores instead of having to sell online: they made the prices available in their website, for every items.
On the Chanel website I don't see any prices for bags etc. Where did you see the prices on their website?

^^
I forgot to mention that it's only for the french version of their website. In all their others versions, you can find informations about their products (except for the prices...).

On the Chanel website I don't see any prices for bags etc. Where did you see the prices on their website?

The Chanel app for the iphone also has prices on bags, accesories and a good portion of ready to wear pieces based on runway photos (well, here in Canada anyway). Even though they don't do ecommerce it's a great way to research before contemplating going into a store. For ages I thought "why bother" with anything Chanel as I was too intimidated to walk into a store as I assumed it was way out of my league. I can now venture in (although I still haven't purchased... but it's a step).

^^
I forgot to mention that it's only for the french version of their website. In all their others versions, you can find informations about their products (except for the prices...).

On Hong Kong(account for around 10% of total sales) site they do list price info for most of the bags(expect limited edition ones)..:wink:

Ok back to topic, I read BOF interview which stated Prada had serious problem about theri product line, they are lack of mid-price-range bags....

Last edited by a moderator:
They have clearly changed some things, because their bags and clothing are now available at Mytheresa and NAP. :smile:

They have clearly changed some things, because their bags and clothing are now available at Mytheresa and NAP. :smile:

You mean Prada or Chanel?

Prada shoes are so similar every year, only few runway shoes are online, i checked yesterday the collections and the online offers. Than Prada footwear start to be boring, similar every season ( maybe i start to be Gucci addict but i prefer buy Gucci Cruise 2016 instead Prada Pre-Fall 2016 , ok, maybe i will buy one pair from Prada is it's still available)
There are some runway pieces on mytheresa. Mytheresa has more items as net-a-porter.
I was online in first hour mytheresa put Prada online. What can i tell- as customer i afraid the item i choosed will be sold out before finished the payment procedure.
I have luck and i bought last Piece, i mean the runway shirt with print , must tell that the Prices are ok. So high they are not, more, they are "cheap" , under cheap i mean if we take a look of the prices of another brands than Prada started in online retailers with relative low Prices what started to make some items very desiderable, and not only for me because the most items, inkl. few footwear items are sold out, i speak about mytheresa.com
I think in Internet era many People, reach and not reach, are buying online. The reach simply buying 20 items in one time and not reach are buying 1-2 items, and many People, reach or not reach, are buying the items in Sales. Too many People haven't time to go in boutiques, too many People like to make a spontaneos shoping online.

Off-Topic:
Chanel bags, shoes ect, but not clothes, are available in Chanel online store in Germany. I still don't understand how it works or maybe their online store is not ready , because there is written to put the item to the bag but there is no Symbol , the wishlist yes but "bag" not . I will call and ask when i decide to buy new Chanel bag :cool:

Prada is not Hype brand , it start to be only Label. Yes, it's start to be like D&G. Nothing new, same from collection to collection , boring...

As customer i prefer Michele's Gucci but who knows what will be in few years.
Both of them are ugly but beautiful but Prada lost her chic ( Miu Miu too) and again-and again, if they decided to sell for retails as NAP and mytheresa than i would like to have more choice, more runway pieces.
And all this mix of seasons, in summer start with Pre-Fall and F/W , it is not the best way, too much brands, easy to buy online, too short time for sell summer (winter) because in July every retail start with winter(summer), it could damage too, IMO.

Key staff depart Prada, as house struggles to reverse declining sales

By Astrid Wendlandt - 27 June 2018
Several senior key figures have left Prada Group in recent months as the improved performance and strategic changes promised by CEO Patrizio Bertelli are taking longer than hoped to materialize, according to industry sources.

Prada on Thursday confirmed the exits of Strategic Marketing Director Stefano Cantino (pictured) and Prada brand Marketing Director Aldo Gotti

The Italian brand, which missed the sneaker, sportswear and e-commerce booms, is reorganizing its management in a bid to stem four years of declining like-for-like sales. Prada on Thursday confirmed the exits of Strategic Marketing Director Stefano Cantino and Prada brand Marketing Director Aldo Gotti. Cantino, who oversaw marketing, communication and licenses, had been with Prada for 21 years. Gotti, who was worldwide Miu Miu commercial director and played a key role in the brand’s development, had been with the group for 28 years.

“The Prada group is in constant evolution and this is part of a normal internal turnover,” a spokeswoman for the group told FashionNetwork.com. “The number of employees is currently growing at all levels, in particular with regards to the Italian headquarters and specifically in the communications area.”

The Prada spokeswoman said it was hiring new people to strengthen its management teams but declined to give their names and function. She would only say that Cantino and Gotti would not be replaced.

Several other key senior figures have fled the group in recent months, FashionNetwork.com has learnt from industry sources who spoke on condition of anonymity. These include Gherardo Felloni, ex-Dior Couture and Miu Miu’s shoe and bags maestro, who left to become artistic director of Roger Vivier three months ago. Francesca Bertoncini, Prada retail merchandise director for shoes, started as VP merchandising for Stuart Weitzman four months ago. And Serge Carreira, retail merchandising director for Prada ready-to-wear, who left last summer to become CEO of British fashion label Mary Katrantzou. Prada declined to comment on their departures.

At the time of the group’s full-year results in March, Bertelli said Prada was starting to see concrete benefits from its numerous strategic initiatives currently under way and was expecting a return to growth in 2018.

“At every trading update, Bertelli promises the company will change things but that does not happen,” one of sources who worked for Prada said on condition of anonymity. “So those who want change leave to find it elsewhere.”

The group, which also owns shoe labels Church’s and Car Shoe, only began fully embracing the Internet three years ago, much later than arch-rivals such as Gucci and Louis Vuitton which invested heavily in digital communications and e-commerce. Prada, along with other Italian brands Salvatore Ferragamo and Tod’s, have been struggling to engage successfully with digitally savvy millennial consumers. They have not benefited as much as their peers from the Chinese-led luxury spending rebound of the past year, analysts have said. “Prada seems indeed less attuned to “new luxury” than Gucci and Louis Vuitton. Updating the management team may be a good step – in the same way as they are catching up in digital,” said Luca Solca, head of luxury goods research at Exane BNP Paribas.

This week, Ferragamo lost its head of marketing and communications Antonio Burrello, who had been hired in January 2017 by former CEO Eraldo Poletto, who himself left in March to run Stuart Weitzman.

While Prada’s ready-to-wear collections are still revered by fashion critics, its designs could be refreshed, some industry analysts have said. “Prada’s esthetics seem to not be sufficiently attractive for young people, it is looking increasingly rigid compared to others,” one of the industry sources said. “Which is a shame since its vintage and baroque concept is very much in the air - as the success of Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent show - only these two brands bring a fresh twist and interpretation.”

Prada said Fabio Zambernardi, Cantino’s long-standing partner and right-hand man of Miuccia Prada at her design studio, remained in place.

Prada has been downsizing its global retail network after an aggressive worldwide expansion that has harmed its exclusive image and dented profits. Analysts also said the brand raised prices too high and too fast without introducing enough novelty at the entry and middle-price ranges. For many years, Prada failed to produce a powerful successor to its best-selling Saffiano Galleria tote and sufficient new designs for its popular nylon bags. Prada’s shares, currently trading in Hong Kong at HK$ 36, are still below their 2011 flotation price of HK$ 39.5 after touching a high of more than HK$ 80 in September 2013. Nonetheless, based on hopes of recovery and testifying to the brand’s unique reputation as Italy’s most creative fashion marque this century, Prada shares have been trading at a premium to its peers of between 35-40 times prospective earnings, compared to the industry average of around 31 times and LVMH which is on around 30 times.

Bertelli said earlier this month that Prada was not for sale and he hoped his thirty-year-old son Lorenzo, head of digital communications since September, could succeed him one day if he so wished.

“Digital and consumer intelligence are two of the most sought-after competencies in the luxury industry in this moment, as there is a growing understanding in the sector that these two areas of expertise can drive significant competitive advantage in a fast-changing market environment,” said Mario Ortelli, who used to cover the luxury sector at Bernstein and now runs his own M&A boutique. “The majority of luxury companies are reinforcing their organizational structures in these areas, creating ad hoc functions and hiring new managers with proven skills in these areas, also coming from other industries like Internet and technology companies.”

fashionnetwork.com

This is the big problem with Prada. I don't think that they are ready to realize that the issue has nothing to do with strategic decisions.
Sneakers, Sportswear and e-commerce is not the reason why the sales are declining. Those might be factors in it but it all comes from the creative side. Miuccia needs to shake things up in her design team.

Chanel is not selling RTW and bags on e-commerce but yet, those categories are driving the business. Louis Vuitton might sell the majority of their bags and accessories and a selection of their RTW on the internet, people are still going to the stores. The same for Gucci, YSL, Balenciaga...etc.
If the creative side of the brand is not attractive, no matter how hard your Marketing strategy is, it will fail.

Lol don't expect her husband to put the blame on her bad collections my dear Lola :wink:. I love Aldo, he is smart, nice and handsome. He did wonders for Miu Miu and he will not have problem to find a new job !

The problem with business is that the people at the top always turn their head to the real problem and prefer to have excuses like the ones Prada gives now, bye.

There are many problems with Prada. The first one is that Miuccia doesn't care about the design anymore and it's getting more and more ridiculous with time (Resort and the latest menswear were a little bit better, but still). That's why there are no new clients and the sales decline. Their fake intellectual chic is just so pretentious. And it's clear that their 360°-or-whatever-it-is-called strategy hasn't been working so why they want to push it so hard?

I wouldn't say the woes of Prada are because they missed sneakers, sportswear and e-commerce. In fact, I'd say the woes of Prada are because they did do sneakers, sportswear and e-commerce.

Prada was never a follower. Prada also was targeted at a specific clientele of sophisticated, discreet, savvy shoppers, and that was their target demographic for almost the entirety of Miuccia's time running the show. It really wasn't until the last couple of years that they decided to abandon their clientele. They hopped on all the bandwagons and it's no wonder they're suffering. They alienated their demographic, and then chased after the trendster KIDZ, which ultimately made the company look desperate, more than anything. It's all a mess. Now they're also pushing their hideous graphic logo, which is so embarrassing...and I'm not even opposed to a logomania moment...I love a good monogram when done well. But these are not done well.

I also popped into a Prada store recently, and it was a disaster. It looked like a sample sale...way too much merchandise crammed everywhere, and all the pieces are so loud and screaming for attention. Like I said, the whole thing stinks of desperation at this point.

For Prada's sake, the only way I can see them regaining momentum would be to scrap the design team entirely. Fire the stylist. Start from scratch. Go back to something restrained and pared down...from the casting, to the sets, to the soundtracks, to the accessories, to the clothes, to the campaigns. All of it. Scrub it clean. I'm not sure why they pursued this over the top and gimmicky route as a bid for success. If anything, I'm not sure why they didn't see the success of Celine as an indicator that the market for luxurious, smart, discreet, sophisticated clothes is strong and the customer responds very strongly to that kind of brand. With Phoebe off the calendar now, Miuccia really could attract that consumer back to Prada if they were smart. But I can't help but get the sense that the company is extremely embarrassed and backtracking, or wiping everything clean, would be an admittance that they were wrong with this direction over the last several years, and it just seems like they are too proud to admit that and change course drastically.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^
I wouldn't even say that their woes was doing sneakers, sportswear and e-commerce because let's be honest, Prada Sport or Linea Rossa was still a reality and it had a presence in many of their stores around the world.
Sportswear was part of their DNA but the sad thing is that those sportswear elements have the same designs since 1998 i guess. It's just stuck in the past and they slowly let it die from a creative point of view.

Let's not forget that the sophisticated clientele of Prada was also special. The runway stuff wasn't always entirely produced (you needed to order items sometimes), the boutiques were filled with black and navy conservative stuff and the result of that was the bag in Saffiano leather which is really the go-to bag for a working woman today.

For years, the Prada model worked. The brand was seen as intellectual in contrast to others blockbusters and the collections were directional. They had their loyal clientele and the cult around the brand attracted a wider clientele that bought for the most part black nylon items or saffiano leather bags with always the Prada It-shoe of the season (A Prada show was A new Hot shoe).

But, we are in a different time where suddenly, people are not afraid anymore to take risks in fashion and suddenly you can't be excited to see very creative collection with interesting sets from a brand many considers as THE BRAND and go to a store filled with a lot of boring items in a very classic environment (except for their NYC epicenter).

Their products became banal and the whole brand has lost it mystique.

I don't think Miuccia needs to chase that Celine customer. What she needs to chase is a fresh team and some juice in terms of creativity. The name is great, the place in fashion is huge but the products, trends or not trends are simply not appealing.
I mean FW 18 mens and womenswear is kinda tragic and i bet that they will focus a lot on the archival prints pieces.

The only few Prada stores in Europe i've seen with a lot of people in were the Outlet ones.

There are many problems with Prada. The first one is that Miuccia doesn't care about the design anymore and it's getting more and more ridiculous with time (Resort and the latest menswear were a little bit better, but still). That's why there are no new clients and the sales decline. Their fake intellectual chic is just so pretentious. And it's clear that their 360°-or-whatever-it-is-called strategy hasn't been working so why they want to push it so hard?

Because i'm sure someone told them that they needs to put content for social media. On the paper, it could be interesting but if you're using the same photographer to shoot 1000 versions of the same collection with the same models every season...Good luck.

I don't really think people engage with Pretentious stuff. They wants to learn about the designers, the team, the muse, the creative process and Prada is maybe the only big brand that is not feeding that.

Because i'm sure someone told them that they needs to put content for social media. On the paper, it could be interesting but if you're using the same photographer to shoot 1000 versions of the same collection with the same models every season...Good luck.

I don't really think people engage with Pretentious stuff. They wants to learn about the designers, the team, the muse, the creative process and Prada is maybe the only big brand that is not feeding that.

I find their digital strategy very ridiculous. The way their content was built is very static. There are some nice interesting thing but all look the same. Gucci was able to engage because they always try to collaborate with someone new while maintaining a slot of main collaborators for main campaigns. It's about putting your identity first and build everything around it.

For me Prada has lost its voice in a very quiet space because they are trying to yell. If they decide to pull back, do what she did early on, it would be different and stand out. Willy Vanderpere is not versatile enough and definitely not current enough to pull off high engagement. It worked at Calvin Klein because many campaigns are run by marketing team at PVH. And Raf has the authority for the cool factor. Not that Miucia is lesser than but I think Raf is more relatable to the wider group of audience because he can benefit from his namedrop in rap songs.

What I find most discerning at Prada is that fact that they ignored the issue for so long. Their stores are very static, cold and not very inviting. Of course, it works when Prada was cool and current. Look at YSL and how the stores are now lifeless box because there's not coolness of Hedi. Even you don't like Gucci, at least their stores pop out and at least you want to go in. Chanel has been trying to come up with new ways to present something at their stores. Also VM at Prada is literally lifeless. This, of course, traces back to the creative root at the brand and the clothes. The brand was once the reference point of the generation and now it is just another luxury brand that makes clothes people on Instagram wears.

The sad thing is that if it all goes down in flames it will be entirely their own fault. Rather than creating a unique product they've chosen to follow everyone else. Prada was known for it's individualism. It was radical in design. It was unique and it stood out against everything else. Imagine how big of a hit F/W04 or F/W06 would have been if they were presented this year, they had an ample amount of product while remaining completely chic and original. That's how you mix art and commerce. The obsession with logos has cheapened everything significantly. I would never buy anything with a big logo on it, especially if it was childlike which is where Prada is currently at. The campaigns are too in your face with product. It's being forced on us. Gucci and Balenciaga have a narrative behind their campaigns, a real story. Prada's campaigns have nothing beyond the surface, nothing to draw you in. It wasn't like that with Meisel. It also dosen't help when the products are hideous. They really need to hit reboot. If she fails to deliver a knockout Spring Collection and Campaign then it's game over.

I return to these four first looks of the last resort show:

vogue.com

This is what I need from Prada and I think this what they need too; and these show that it is somewhere in there and even they know this is the direction they need to take - after all these are the opening looks of the show. They just need to go for it right now in full force with confidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schen2505
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->