Sarah Burton - Designer

so rumors are that she was fired. Meanwhile Demna continues and Matthew at Givenchy too. Curious to know her future. I hope the same fate as Frida and Clare doesn't happen.

Personally, I'd like to see Haider Ackermann or Olivier Theyskens (maybe both at once) at the helm.

While it's improbable since the two appear to have grown uninterested in such gigs, but their visions fit better than most designers I've seen as of late. Ackermann is closer to the house's substance, suiting and tailoring, while Theyskens is closer to the house's essence, romance with heavy macabre undertones.

While everyone else on the internet is focusing solely on designers that can offer the most shock and showmanship, rather than actually looking at the whole picture of the brand (which means commercial offerings, because most of those designers just sell t-shirts and fabric tote bags).

While a showy designer can bring a lot of buzz, without an actual sartorial proposition, they won't go very far at a corporate house (or at their own house for that matter).

The best part about Burton's tenure is that she really exposed how shallow online fashion communities actually are and displayed that the Alexander McQueen house was strong enough to survive and thrive without Lee or his showmanship.

wonder if she plans to disappear like all the other "non insta" designers... Hope someone picks her up. Since Dior seems unlikely givenchy, balenciaga, valentino or now even moschino needs saving.

^Disappearing seems most likely, IMO. She really doesn't seem like a house-hopper, so I can't imagine her at any of the other household brands. But who knows...??

that would be a dream she started to make some tweed pieces in her last few collections and i was thinking she'd be a good fit there. Her accesories have been always underrated too

She’s unable to create an interesting world for Chanel. She’s not a storyteller in my opinion. Chanel needs way more context

Virginie is staying… lol
Her non competition agreement hasn’t ended yet.
Just another rumor.
And I’m not sure Chanel would choose a non-French speaking designer. At Chanel, probably more than at any other brand, the designer is an integral part of the studio…With 2 ateliers to direct and all the Metiers d’Arts…

At Chanel, probably more than at any other brand, the designer is an integral part of the studio…With 2 ateliers to direct and all the Metiers d’Arts…

i doubt virginie ever worked directly with those... atleast not as close as how Burton worked with Mcqueen atelier or atleast what they made it look like.

She always told stories in her collections, it just wasnt mcqueens.

i doubt virginie ever worked directly with those... atleast not as close as how Burton worked with Mcqueen atelier or atleast what they made it look like.

She always told stories in her collections, it just wasnt mcqueens.
Oh no, Virginie does work directly with the Ateliers. She has a proximity that she has established for years as the director of studio. Remember that when Karl was there she was the one who handled the execution of his sketches. Plus she was responsible of the non-runway collections based on Karl’s ideas.
And remember that at Chanel, all the Couture and RTW are in the same building and now all the Metiers d’Arts are in the same building in the 93 district.
So she is working in close collaboration with an almost 100% French environment for more than 20 years.

Burton is different because Karl was educated in the Haute Couture so he worked, even in RTW with the structure of Haute Couture. At McQueen, they didn’t have the structure and the hierarchy of HC.
Burton is more skilled but she won’t go to Chanel.
I don’t believe it…

She will probably end up at LVMH. There are no announcement for Givenchy yet. Nobody knows the long-term strategy Delphine Arnault has for Dior and if it involves MGC.
And LVMH is an environment where they are used to international talents. They have a structure to accommodate them. And I think for her (Burton), it would be less pressure.

so much skills learned yet such poor outcomes from virginie :( Now thats a woman who has no story to tell.

Lets hope she goes anywhere and doesnt fizzle out then decide to do something years later like philo.

so much skills learned yet such poor outcomes from virginie :( Now thats a woman who has no story to tell.

Lets hope she goes anywhere and doesnt fizzle out then decide to do something years later like philo.
Yes…
Unfortunately people think that just by being around someone, you learn design and techniques. I’m sure Virginie’s taste or eye was valuable sometimes as we see in the Signe Chanel documentary but often we forget that the construction of a dress is a mental thing first.
Karl has said it many times, he has learned his craft at Patou. I’m not sure that working with so many advantages has helped Virginie but oh well.

But what I think is glorious about Virginie’s time at Chanel is that it’s an opportunity for people to realize that you can have the best atelier in the world, all the money in the world, if you don’t have the eye, the talent and the skills, your clothes will look weird. And she is working with the same atelier as Karl, which is crazy!

You know what, I would love for Sarah Burton to do a Gaultier collection before having any type of contract with a fashion brand.

Burton could never do Chanel. She has zero sense of lightness. Her work always looks as heavy as an anvil. She'd make tweed look like lead.

Burton could never do Chanel. She has zero sense of lightness. Her work always looks as heavy as an anvil. She'd make tweed look like lead.
You just gave the perfect description of Virginie's work at Chanel...and even THAT seems to be doing well enough for Chanel commercially.

Sarah Burton quite honestly is in a complete different league and has the talent, skill and eye to push Chanel to the level it belongs. Especially in HC. Unfortunately I don't think there's much truth to the rumor.
As for Sarah Burton not being French, I wonder how much of an issue that actually is. After all the CEO is not French speaking, the global HQ for most operations (apart from creative) is in London nowadays.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brky1907
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->