• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Skinny jeans for men... Coming to an end?

Casualuxury

Reaction score
ok, so I'm currently making a list of things to look for when shopping for summer. I was about to write skinny jeans down, but i feel as if this summer we will see an end to the skinny jean for men. Where will we head next?

Since the influence of the early 90's is bubbling right under the surface of fashion I can see a slightly baggier jean approaching with a higher waist. Not a high rise, just not low slung like those of True Religion, Abercrombie, and Muffin Toppers alike. And possibly some acid wash.

raw and/or undistressed darker wash 501s and slim straights are not fads--if u have the body for slim straights go for it. its the tapered, looks-like-womens'-jeans, ball constrictors that are/will be out...thank goodness.

I think shorter pants will be big come Spring, topping off right above the ankle. Still slim, just not skin tight...

i cant imagine my male friends without skinny jeans :lol: they are all punk rockers! :rofl:

yeah i dont think skinnys are merely a trend. def wardrobe staple.

I think shorter pants will be big come Spring, topping off right above the ankle. Still slim, just not skin tight...

I always see them pushed on runways and in editorials, but rarely see it work in real life. I do love the way it looks, however, with boots, so it doesn't look like someone is wearing high-waters!

I think skinny jeans are here to stay...I've left my Cheap Monday days behind me, so now I'm wearing skinny jeans from APC and Uniqlo so they are skinny, not skintight. Maybe you should go for something like that...or just stick to what works for you and forget the trends!

Acid wash is for dads and people who go to Status Quo concerts. (Those two categories could probably be conflated.)

well i guess that answers my question. Skinny's are here to say. For a while at least. I feel as if maybe there wont be any kind of shift away form them now. Maybe because men now have seen the silhouette and feel as if other jeans make them look...dare I say...fat. Well personally I feel as if they are dead to me. I do think that they look nice on other gentlemen, I however need something new.

So I'm buying the origional 501s. Possibly cropped for spring/summer, with doc martens.

I always see them pushed on runways and in editorials, but rarely see it work in real life. I do love the way it looks, however, with boots, so it doesn't look like someone is wearing high-waters!

At the office I interned at last semester, one of the trendier guys was wearing his Dior jeans hemmed to right above the ankle, and wearing them with Gucci loafers. He was absolutely adorable.

im always amazed by one of my guy friends who has the skinniest legs wearing the skinniest skinny jeans and he's still able to pull them up to/over his knees! :shock: :rofl:

i dunno. The acid wash thing is just a thing i have seen in the more hipster crowd. They are being disguised by differnet names such as "mineral wash" at American apparel and god only knows what at Urban Outfitters. I just feel as if most trends do get started by the tragically hip kids who frequent Le Disco sundays at Safari Sam's on sunset. It's just a few months before they trickle down to others. Take the wayfarer for example. Before the Olsens began sporting those, tons of hipster kids were wearing them while those who choose to consider themselves "fashion forward" (when all they really do is wait for an important designer to create a collection containing the item to wear it), waited for the trend to surface . Maybe I'm off, and maybe not. I just feel as if the statement that Dads and Status Quo concert goers only wear acid wash is a bit trite.

Last edited by a moderator:
You say trite, I say epigrammatically close to the bone.

American Apparel, and a whole pie-slice of the hipster shtick related to it, is about ironic bad tase, the artist formerly known as kitsch. AA peddles a brand of eclectic trash references, its soul rooted somewhere in a 70s LA male stripper as fantasised by Vice Magazine, which the Status Quo Dad has recently joined. (Let's not even start on the acid-washed t-shirts, even if John Cale wears them...) As long as you go into the shop, cast an ironic eye over the p*rn-star undies and lamé bombers, then buy a plain-colour t-shirt, you're in on the joke. Actually start buying **** like Status Quo jeans and the joke's on you. Or that goes for London at any rate, maybe things swing on Californians in a different way.

it's the same in California, at least in the bay area. i don't know about Los Angeles. i imagine that one could get away with a lot more down there.

Ok honestly, that whole shtup felt a bit contrived, however kudos to you on pin pointing the horrific scene that is Los Angeles hipster trends. I'm not saying I like acid wash in any way, or that under any circumstances other than gunpoint would i pull a pair on. I am just noting that somewhere between the fine line that is the trash spilling out of nylon and vice, and a fashion icon such as Agyness Deyn, hipster fashion finds its way onto runways. Trends aren't just thought up by designers that somehow inadvertently seem to catch on to the same thing right at the same time, they are diluted versions of the tragic superflouity that is street fashion. I mean skinny jeans started as skateboarders, punks, and neo-goths needing an alternative stance on pants. It's a cycle, the avant-garde subcultures start something new, it is gobbled up by mass marketers, turned into a diluted down version portraying an "alternative" to what the masses are buying, which in turn stimulates something internally within the minds of the youth, which then finds its way onto celebrities, onto parents, and eventually onto some sad pile of clothes in a parking lot of a so called "vintage" store's sunday dollar sale. It's a cycle. I mean take psychedelic culture for instance. Who didn't have a lava lamp in the late nineties?

Uck, and then what? Fat, baggy jeans again? I'll never ever leave my skinny jeans. They're too cute and they make my butt look great. :D End of story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chelseaboys
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->