• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

The 'Dress a Celebrity' Thread

Since the Oscars are coming up soon, I thought it would be great to revive this wonderful thread.

I'm going to work specifically with the Best Actress category.

Anne Hathaway (for "Rachel Getting Married") in Givenchy Haute Couture SS 09
I know this would be a risky choice for Anne because she generally wears more frilly, frothy gowns, but I can't help imagining the dark floral print looking gorgeous against her pale, porcelain skin. Her hair should be worn on a side part and put back in a low, demure bun to contrast the tougher, more bondage look of the bodice.
00260m.jpg

Angelina Jolie (for "Changeling") in Jil Sander SS 09
Because Angie is all about easy, simple red carpet dressing, I wanted to give her a minimalist dress, but one that is still far more interesting than most of her recent choices, which have all been total bores. I thought this Jil Sander dress would be so beautiful on Angie and it would be an incredibly modern way of red carpet dressing. Her hair should be worn down and relaxed, tucked behind the ears.
00260m.jpg

Melissa Leo (for "Frozen River") in YSL SS 09
This jumpsuit would be modified into a floor length evening gown (no train). I though the shape of would be appropriate for Melissa (even though I'm not particularly familiar with her). The long sleeves and the crew neck would be just conservative enough to counter balance the the bow belt, sequins and the sheer factor. Plus, the dress begs to be worn by a woman who exudes confidence and maturity, and from the pictures I've seen of Melissa, I think she could pull this off wonderfully (plus, an evening dress with pockets seems like something that is totally Melissa). She should wear her hair in her natural, beautiful curls.
00360m.jpg

Meryl Streep (for "Doubt") in Prada SS 09
Ok, so this one isn't particularly realistic, but Meryl is quirky and confident enough to pull of a red carpet variation on this dress. Worn with some great, Lanvin costume jewelry, a simple pair of black pumps (or even those YSL cage heels!), I can imagine Meryl looking radiant! Her hair worn in an easy, relaxed pony tail would complete the look.
00100m.jpg

Kate Winslet (for "The Reader") in Rodarte SS 09
Can you just imagine Kate in this? A vision, right? She's got the confidence and poise to make this gown look extremely elegant. The dress in kind of quirky on the runway, but I think worn on Kate, with her fantastic curves, the dress could really be very classic looking. Her hair should be worn side parted, slicked back and worn in a low bun. Some colored diamond earrings (to echo the jewels on the dress), a simple pair of black pumps and a black satin clutch would complete the look.
00350m.jpg

(style.com)

Last edited by a moderator:
and...Supporting Actresses!

Amy Adams (for "Doubt") in Valentino SS 09
This color would be incredible on Amy. The shape, as well, would be very flattering on her petite frame. Amy tends to wear large gowns, and they often devour her, but this Valentino dress would be perfect for her slight stature. She should wear her hair center parted and pulled back into a loose bun. The necklace worn on the runway should be somehow converted into a hairpiece that Amy would wear in the back, pinned into the bun.
00350m.jpg

Penelope Cruz (for "Vicky Cristina Barcelona") in Balenciaga SS 09
I think a full length variation on this dress (without the nude jersey undershirt) would be quite striking on Penelope. The silver metallics of the dress would look beautiful in contrast to her olive complexion. Plus, I can imagine that with her figure, she could really sex up the dress. She should wear her hair in a modern, simple bouffant.
00380m.jpg

Viola Davis (for "Doubt") in Oscar de la Renta SS 09
This dress would look GORGEOUS with Viola's skin tone. The accessories would be minimal...the necklace worn on the runway and a clutch done in the same fabric as the dress. Viola should wear her hair in an afro.
00500m.jpg

Taraji P. Henson (for "Benjamin Button") in John Galliano SS 09
Taraji can pull off sexy...she's got a great figure, and a radiant smile. I think she could wear this Galliano gown easily. The pale blue would look wonderful against her skin tone, and the sprinkling of metallic embroidery would compliment her whole look wonderuflly. She should wear her hair in a simple updo.
00420m.jpg

Marisa Tomei (for "The Wrestler") in Nina Ricci SS 09
I LOVE Marisa. She's beautiful and she always seems so confident, sophisticated and effortless on the red carpet. She's very fashionable - she's got great style. I think this dress would be gorgeous on Marisa. Part of the reason why I can imagine this dress on her is because Yulia looks kind of similar to Marisa - and Yulia looks stunning in the dress. I actually think she should wear the black nylons with the dress...she could pull it off. She should wear her hair pulled back into a loose, relaxed bun.
00110m.jpg

(style.com)

Now that the FW 09 collections are over, I wanted to do some styling with all the new clothes!

Diane Kruger in Prada
With her hair slicked back I can see this looking SO chic on Diane.
00380m.jpg

Tilda Swinton in Miu Miu
For a daytime premier or event...her hair should be work in the same way as the catwalk style. I think this dusty rose/ mauve color would look great with her red hair.
00030m.jpg

Eva Green in Givenchy
With a Veronica Lake hairstyle...Eva would look drop dead gorgeous in this dress...she is such a vamp.
00380m.jpg

(style.com)

FW 09 wishlist continued...

Bjork in Alexander McQueen
This one is pretty obvious why it would look good on Bjork. It's be like Swan Dress: Part 2!
00440m.jpg

Cate Blanchett in Ann Demeulemeester
I can see Cate wearing this for more semi-casual event. I would style it without the gloves a simple pair of black velvet pumps would be worn instead of the boots. Plus, if any celebrity could pull of some Ann...it'd be Cate.
00290m.jpg

Freida Pinto in Louis Vuitton
I can just see this looking great on Freida...maybe with soft curls?
00020m.jpg

Lady Amanda Harlech in John Galliano
This dress is dramatic enough for Lady Amanda...plus the silver would look gorgeous with her black and white hair.
00240m.jpg

(style.com)

So, because I'm basically obsessed with Tilda Swinton...I've been sort of compiling a dream list of clothes for her to wear to events and premiers.

Christian Lacroix Haute Couture SS 06
If anyone could wear this outfit with authority...Tilda would be the one. And usually I'm not the biggest fan of redheads in red/pink...but again...Tilda could do it.
00010m.jpg

Dior Haute Couture FW 06
This would look so magnificent on Tilda. First of all...I don't think the pale color would wash her out...if anything, it would make her look more statuesque and alabaster looking. Which brings me to the second reason why it would look incredible on her...it would totally emphasize her Romanesque appearance and stature. She would look like a marble statue of a Roman emporer/empress.
00320m.jpg

Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture FW 07
No explanation required. Tilda is one of those celebrities who doesn't have to show a lot of cleavage or leg or shoulder or chest to look great on the red carpet. She can pull off clothes that would otherwise look too conservative on anyone else.
28m.jpg

Givenchy RTW FW 09
The color, the intense tailoring, the one sleeve, the neckline, the overall silhouette would look so fantastic on Tilda, I think.
00050m.jpg

Haider Ackermann FW 09
Tilda would look gorgeous in this dress. The black would be such a stunning contrast to her milky skin tone, and the slinky, yet voluminous cut of the silhouette of the dress would just be...perfect. And the off the shoulder would frame her face so beautifully.
00070m.jpg

Nina Ricci FW 09
Now this one may be more of a stretch...but...I just know Tilda would inhabit this dress so incredibly and it would make her look even more otherworldly and ethereal than she already is.
00280m.jpg

(style.com)

The Nine premiere is tonight and this is what I want to see the stars wear throughout the promotion tour.

Marion Cotillard in Lanvin Spring 10, Christian LaCroix Fall 09 (but longer) and Givenchy Spring 10:
ss10-lanvin-22a.jpg
christianlacroix_31a.jpg
ss10-givenchy-27a.jpg

I want her to stay away from Dior and all things Galliano! These picks would be great.

Penélope Cruz in Nina Ricci Fall 09, Giambattista Valli Spring 10 and Jil Sander Spring 10:
nina-ricci_33a.jpg
ss10-giambattista-valli-09a.jpg
ss10-jil-sander-55a.jpg

She usually doesn't pick a lot of colour. These picks would be great. They may not be colourful, but they are not boring!

Nicole Kidman in Chanel Couture Fall 09, Jonathan Saunders Spring 09 & Christian LaCroix Spring 09 Couture
Chanel%2BFall%2B2009%2BCouture%2BAbbey%2BLee%2BKershaw.jpg
00340m.jpg

Kidman in Couture is something we need to see AGAIN.

Kate Hudson in Atelier Versace Fall 09, Viktor&Rolf Spring 10 & Dries Van Noten Spring 10:
tumblr_kqwikj1A6j1qzn34eo1_500.jpg
ss10-viktor-rolf-16a.jpg
ss10-dries-van-noten-08a.jpg

I wanted to bring out both her elegant and fun side in these outfits.

Stacy 'Fergie' Ferguson (I don't think she'll be promoting much because she's on tour, but oh well) in Jil Sander Spring 10, Balenciaga Spring 10 & Viktor&Rolf Spring 10:
ss10-jil-sander-44a.jpg
ss10-balenciaga-16a.jpg
ss10-viktor-rolf-05a.jpg

Fergie has been dressing edgy lately. These looks are just that and would be perfect for her.

instyle, tumblr, projectrungay, style, fashionising

Who ?: Ashley Olsen
353a2ch.jpg

OLSENSOBSESSIVE.NET

What ?: Givenchy SS10
2uiytyx.jpg

STYLE.COM

Wow, I actually correctly guessed what Kate wore tonight! Haha!

Anyway, I would love to see Diane Kruger, who IMHO is one of the best dressed women at the moment, wear this:

lanvin-spring-2010-kanyeblog-more-is-more.jpg

rockinthatbling

kirsten steward

wearing this roberto cavalli source : fashionising.com

zi3qw.jpg

this Escada prefall 2010 source: WWD/Condé Nast/Corbis

42-23893025.jpg

valentino
lilyd.jpg
source:gettyimages.com

Ungaro
00260m.jpg
credit:style.com

herve leger
90707448.jpg
gettyimages

^I would love to see Emma wear that second dress that you posted Scarlet_Ohara

Natalie Portman,who I think has the looks to tackle some edgy designers.
Edrem
00050m.jpg

Altazzura
00130m.jpg

Balmain
00070m.jpg

Costello Tagliapietra
00220m.jpg

style.com

and oh goodie,Charlotte Casiraghi
charlottecasiraghietamnc500zumawirewestphotos84463620090205sha-thumb.jpg
merryroyals.com
L'Wren Scott
00260m.jpg

Ann Valerie Hash
00230m.jpg

she could really pull this off
Balmain
00380m.jpg

she'd looked gorgeous in this!
Alexis Mabille couture
00420m.jpg

all, style.com

Michelle Obama
Oscar de la Renta
00480m.jpg

00490m.jpg

Carolina Herrera
24m.jpg

18m.jpg

style.com
all these colors would look fantastic on Michelle!

Catherine Zeta Jones
Very classic, a lot of old movie star eveningwear and of course fur.

Outwear
CELINE | GIANFRANCO FERRE

2zyh89s.jpg
nnjl05.jpg

Day
ROLAND MOURET | CELINE | FERRAGAMO

25ti4oj.jpg
2ignbqx.jpg
219rvow.jpg

Evening
DIOR | BOTTEGA VENETA | ARMANI PRIVE | CAROLINA HERRERA | REEM ACRA | OSCAR DE LA RENTA

259j32w.jpg
15q4206.jpg
eolmw.jpg
icl0cl.jpg
jky8o2.jpg
2a4y1j5.jpg

Image Credit | Style.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members