• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tina Chow

a young Tina from 1976...
TinaHelnAlanCathee1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
BabyAnimal said:
I used to be utterly fascinated by Tina Chow. I have this autobiography that is written by Zhai-Ching ( I loosely translate it here from chinese), who is the sister-in-law of Tina Chow ( Michael Chow's elder sister, who appeared in films such as Blow UP by Antonioni in the 60's.), there was a brief chapter that is dedicated to Tina Chow. She was always listed in one of the best-dressed international jetsetters and famous for her thorough collection on vintage Mario Fortuna dresses ( who I beleive inspired Issey Miyake enormously later on), once dated Richard Gere shortly before she died from AIDS.

comparing to other Studio 54 fixtures, I personally find her refreshing and breezy style-wise and personality-wise ( she was famous for her candid, straightforward manner towards her fame and fortune). it's sad China Chow doesn't live up to her legacy, at all. ( despite being a very pretty girl, China doesn't seem having that "IT" factor her late mother engaged.)

Thanks for the lovely pics, Thomas. I am glad Tina Chow's legacy is recognized by younger generation.

I think the sister-in-law must be Tsai-Chin Chow,who 's recently appeared in in Memoirs of A Geisha and The Interpreter.and the father of michael chow was very very famous in china,his name is zhou Xin Fang ,he is one of the greatest Peking Opera actor.

I feel very fortuned to have met Tina Chow in Hong Kong.
It was in my friend's shop in TST Kowloon. A shop called RED.
As usual, Tina was in her lengendary outfit. White t-shirt and men's v-neck cardigan. She was shopping in the shop!!! I was mesmerized with her beauty ,elegance and grace. I think the year was 1987.

Does anyone have any more pictures of her? Sofia Coppola listed her as her fashion icon in Vanity Fair.

It's very hard to find pictures of her, but look out for Andy Warhol's books... she's been photographed with him very often.

fashionguruhk said:
I feel very fortuned to have met Tina Chow in Hong Kong.
It was in my friend's shop in TST Kowloon. A shop called RED.
As usual, Tina was in her lengendary outfit. White t-shirt and men's v-neck cardigan. She was shopping in the shop!!! I was mesmerized with her beauty ,elegance and grace. I think the year was 1987.
thank you for sharing this^_^
I wish you had a picture but hearing about her is the next best thing.

In the 80s erstwhile gay men would slick and side-part their cropped hair, don white Ts, men's cardigans, Kenzo-like flat front pants and ballet flats and exclaim: "Today I'm Tina Chow!"
Their inspiration, the model/jewelery designer/fashion collector/ icon Tina Chow often paired this uniform with her own bamboo and crystal jewelery designs, and chunky metallic or clear lucite cuffs.
Her phenomenal 'less is more' style ethos put her on a myriad of 'International Best Dressed Lists' and she was on par as a fashion icon with such luminaries as Jackie Onassis, Babe Paley, The Duchess of Windsor and Helene Rochas et al.
Her private couture collection is now legendary and was curated by FIT's Harold Koda after Tina Chow's death in January 1992 and in a fashion tome, 'Flair: Fashion Collected by Tina Chow.' Chow's covetable collection included Balenciaga, Fortuny, Yves Saint Laurent, Madame Gres, Balmain and others.
Tina Chow was born Bettina Louise Lutz in 1951; her father was a German-American and her mother was Japanese Her sister is actress Adelle "Bonnie" Lutz married to Talking Head's David Byrne.
In 1972 Tina married Michael Chow who owns the Mr. Chow restaurant chain.
They have two children, a daughter named China and son Maxmillian. China, born in 1974 is also a model and an actress but does not have Tina's innate style. Maxmillian was born in 1977
Michael and Tina Chow were among the most famous New York celebrities, making many friends among the Big Apple's art world, including Andy Warhol Keith Haring Jean-Michel Basquiat Julian Schnabel, Mary Boone, and Henry Geldzahler.
Tina modelled for Shisheido, YSL etc, and was photographed by David Seidner ;Alice Springs, Andy Warhol and Eric Boman et al.
Tina contracted HIV from bisexual international playboy Kim d'Estainvile and admitted that she had "been naughty" and died of AIDS on 24 January 1992 at the age of 41; she spent her last days at her home in Pacific Palisades, California.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the 80s erstwhile gay men would slick and side-part their cropped hair, don white Ts, men's cardigans, Kenzo-like flat front pants and ballet flats and exclaim: "Today I'm Tina Chow!"Their inspiration, the model/jewelery designer/fashion collector/ icon Tina Chow often paired this uniform with her own bamboo and crystal jewelery designs, and chunky metallic or clear lucite cuffs.
Her phenomenal 'less is more' style ethos put her on a myriad of 'International Best Dressed Lists' and she was on par as a fashion icon with such luminaries as Jackie Onassis, Babe Paley, The Duchess of Windsor and Helene Rochas et al.
Her private couture collection is now legendary and was curated by FIT's Harold Koda after Tina Chow's death in January 1992 and in a fashion tome, 'Flair: Fashion Collected by Tina Chow.' Chow's covetable collection included Paul Poiret, Cristobal Balenciaga, Mario Fortuny, Yves Saint Laurent, Madame Gres, Romeo Gigli, Azzedine Alaia, Pierre Balmain and others.
Tina Chow was born Bettina Louise Lutz in 1951; her father was a German-American and her mother was Japanese Her sister is actress Adelle "Bonnie" Lutz married to Talking Head's David Byrne.
In 1972 Tina married Michael Chow who owns the Mr. Chow restaurant chain.
They have two children, a daughter named China and son Maxmillian. China, born in 1974 is also a model and an actress but does not have Tina's innate style. Maxmillian was born in 1977
Michael and Tina Chow were among the most famous New York celebrities, making many friends among the Big Apple's art world, including Andy Warhol Keith Haring Jean-Michel Basquiat Julian Schnabel, Mary Boone, and Henry Geldzahler.
Tina modelled for Shisheido, YSL etc, and was photographed by David Seidner ;Alice Springs, Andy Warhol and Eric Boman et al.
Tina contracted HIV from bisexual international playboy Kim d'Estainvile and admitted that she had "been naughty" and died of AIDS on 24 January 1992 at the age of 41; she spent her last days at her home in Pacific Palisades, California.[/quote]

i have always been fascinated by tina chow. i was lucky enough to recently acquire a signed crystal necklace! it is beautiful...:rolleyes: i will post pix for you.

chauss said:
i have always been fascinated by tina chow. i was lucky enough to recently acquire a signed crystal necklace! it is beautiful...:rolleyes: i will post pix for you.

I cannot wait to see them! :woot:

La bordélique said:
I cannot wait to see them! :woot:
Wow!
Where did you acquire it from? Is it a bamboo crystal necklace which was her signature? I know until the late 1990s Bergdorf's NYC was carrying Tina's stuff. It's funny. I recently asked a FIT historian on the IQONS website to let me know if she knew if Chow's jewellery was still available. And here you are to tell us!
We're looking forward to your post and pic!

i was very lucky. i got it from someone who originally purchased it in late 80's from maxfield in bev hills. it is not the classic bamboo wrapped crystal, but one very large crystal about 3 1/2 inches long and 1 inch wide at widest point set with black suede running through middle. it is a very unusual piecefor her and i just love it.:heart: it is very hard to find her stuff.

here is my tina chow crystal necklace which i purchased from the original owner who got it at maxfield's bev hills in the mid-80's. it came with the original ivory box with tina chow's signature in black letters on the inside of lid. it has tina chow engraved on top of crystal in capital letters. pix would not capture this. it is set on a black suede cord.:heart: :heart: :heart:

Attachments

• tina chow 1.jpg
    tina chow 1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 20
  • tina chow 2.jpg
    tina chow 2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 20

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member