W February 2006 : Reese Witherspoon by Michael Thompson

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
cover is reese witherspoon...a few months too late imo, but in time for awards season...pics from style.com

03m.jpg

01m.jpg

02m.jpg

article here:
http://www.style.com/w/feat_story/010406

JR1 said:
Is she wearing Vuitton on the cover?

yes...it's ss06 vuitton (pic from style.com)...she's wearing chanel in the other pic...

00410m.jpg

I don't like that red leather dress thing

Wow! I'm impressed at how she looks ! :heart: I'm gonna get that issue !
Did she get skinnier?

nicolr02 said:
I don't like that red leather dress thing

I absolutely despise it. It looks much better on Reese than on the runway...but it is still hideous.

Preview of W Feb 2006

Best Edit: Bruce Weber shoots NY artists + stella tennant, lola schnabel, leo fitzpatric in miami at art basel. Simply AWESOME. a return to Weber's personal, candid, incidental, art-directed/post-produced style of the 80s/90s. 24 pages. at his best Weber ranks with penn, bailey, roversi as the greatest living photographers. alex white styled & its so so great. rating 10 of 10.

2nd best edit. kate moss by inez & vinoodh. shot in st barts. all the ocean/seaside pics we'd seen from papparazzi shots. amazingly sexy, camilla nickerson styled, kate, inez/vinoo and white all at the top of their game. on an off day kate is still better than almost any model. she is ON here & so so sexy, there is no better model. superb styling by camilla [Im sure wintour misses her now] and kate & the pics are just as great. rating 9 of 10.

edit #3: tanya dziahileva shot by mario sorrenti, camilla styled again. tanya is another sallow russian matchstick girl, kind of sasha mixed with kouklina mixed with christina kruse, but nowhere near the presence or sex of those. shes more of a dreamy russian blonde, sorrenti always likes this childlike subservient type. camilla's styling is great lots of dreamy gowns, sorrenti's pics are ok, a bit impressionistic but not massively arty. tanya is ok but also not doing that much for me here, perhaps she'll improve over the year, rating 7 of 10, still a nice evanescent quality here.

cover/edit #4: resse witherspoon by thompson. its a really good cover, patent leather red LV dress very 70s/80s disco hot, euro version. thompson is an excelent celeb photog, but to say that his portraits are nowhere near as good as the artistry of weber or inez/vinoodh is quite an understatement. a few nice glamour/sophisto pics of reese, whom I like, but your average W model edit is better than this. alex white styled, its good work for a celeb story.
cover: 7.5 of 10. edit: 6.5 of 10.

a few new ads:
gisele for LV. karen elson was better. looks just like that desert campaign this time its resort with embroidered shorts. gisele is heavily bronzed, airbrushed, skin slightly greasy, eyes look red/stoned. otherwise its a good ad but not mindblowing. her legs are nice in the white shorts.

D&G girl group ad so much hotter: anja, julia, polina, snejana, emina, this sleepy girl love ad is one of the hottest of 2006. AWSEOME especially julia. LV ad is neutered & fake compared to this girl on girl love. snejana's head is in julia's lap & I am in heaven.

angie jolie for st john. classic face portrait, good, classy, not ridiculous like gisele's bullfight ads.

mariacarla as blonde in blumarine; excellent ads, so hot, so pretty. much allure, mystery.

armani; who is that? jp? anyway new armani campaign is great she is really beautiful. imaging & clothes & pics here are superb, top of the list, only D&G ad is better

VERDICT: based on weber & kate edits alone: essential purchase, the sorrenti & reese edits are pretty good too. weber shows what artful modern fashion photography is & kate/inez/vinoo show why shes the greatest model of all time. period.
MUST BUY - W is THE class of US fashion mags TWO BIG THUMBS UP!!!!

(from theearlgrey's LJ)

She has very striking eyes in that pic. Very different look in this shoot compared to her other photos.

i dont like the LV dress shes wearing on the cover, but apart from this it is quite ok.. the editorial pics seem much more interesting, mainly the b&w pic :heart:

Editorials sound so gooood! I think this reese cover is much more intresting than the recent US vogue one..

fleur137 said:
Best Edit: Bruce Weber shoots NY artists + stella tennant, lola schnabel, leo fitzpatric in miami at art basel. Simply AWESOME. a return to Weber's personal, candid, incidental, art-directed/post-produced style of the 80s/90s. 24 pages. at his best Weber ranks with penn, bailey, roversi as the greatest living photographers. alex white styled & its so so great. rating 10 of 10.

I don't care about the rest (except the new ads :P) but if the Weber edit is as good or better than January's Sims' edit - it should be a winner. I'm ready for mine to get here now!

I concur, this cover is def. better than the Vogue, but W articles bored the hell out of me. They're constantly boasting about the celebrity with the occasional quote thrown in that supports the fact that this covergirl is a "real thing."
One thing did surprise me though: interest in running for the office??? :o
(I didn't particularly like the fact she'd run for office based on the fact no one represented her ideas.)

"I'll vote, and I'll talk to my friends. Truthfully, my opinion is not more important than anyone else's. I'm just an actor, and if I had some really strong political conviction I'd run for office. We all have the right to have a voice, but it's mixed messages when you're selling movies and politics."

Would she ever really consider running? After all, Elle Woods traveled to Washington in Legally Blonde 2.

"Yeah, I would," she says. "I just think there's not enough strong political female figures. Hillary [Clinton] is the closest to representing the things I believe in, though I don't align with her on every issue. I'm just saying that I wish there was someone out there who represented more of my ideas."

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valkirius
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->