Lanvin F/W 2012.13 Paris

I don't really wanna see dresses from Alber that I can see on Jason Wu's runway. Alber has done way better things than this.
But that being said, the dark cheekiness here is what I love. The Lanvin woman has become quite aggressive.

I love this collection. Of course, some outfits looks too messy, but in common it's a good collection.

There were some nice pieces, but overall, this collection was bordering on clownish - especially those 'evening' looks toward the end.

I'm disappointed. This lacks cohesion, and everything seems very poorly thought-out. This is probably one of his weakest collections to date, especially after the last two stellar shows...

Color details

00020m.jpg
00040m.jpg

00050m.jpg
00080m.jpg

00100m.jpg
00120m.jpg

-style.com

More of the same, comes to mind. But, it's more of the same I like......although how many more seasons, Alber can cut the almost identical silhouette remains to be seen, without even his major admirer becoming bored.
In print some of the first coloured dresses look quite unflattering, but in motion, not so. The shoes are great, but some of the accessories look quite naff and cheap....belts especially. Some of the embellished looks are bordering on gaudy also.
I always enjoy Lanvin shoes, as they always create an atmosphere and a certain look and styling that is identifiable immediately, but next time a major mood shift would be welcome.

Well. From that bizarre black dress with white frills on....the whole collection looks like it's infused with a lot of Galliano....

I don't think this collection is messy... There is a lot going on in the end but I don't find it incoherent, it just gets a bit too playful... He explores some shapes in colors, then in black/dark, and then it's as if after playing with the sleeker Lanvin looks he decided to play with Lanvin's cheekiness - more due to the styling than the pieces individually. Even the black dress with white frills, I quite like it after seeing it in HQ. The finale at Lanvin is always more playful, and I think it totally makes sense to go a little extreme for his 10 year anniversary - from the very clean to the most playful styling, two "extremes" that have marked Alber's collections. This is certainly not my favorite Lanvin show, but I do think it makes sense and strongly shows the current identity of the brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the beginning was a bit underwhelming, I wasn't excited at all. It's kind of plain and boring for Alber even though he usually starts his shows by presenting the more "simple" outfits. But then came the darker dresses, from then on I thought it was really nice. The clothes were precious between the material, the layers and jewelry. I love that in Lanvin.

More of the same, comes to mind. But, it's more of the same I like......although how many more seasons, Alber can cut the almost identical silhouette remains to be seen, without even his major admirer becoming bored.
In print some of the first coloured dresses look quite unflattering, but in motion, not so. The shoes are great, but some of the accessories look quite naff and cheap....belts especially. Some of the embellished looks are bordering on gaudy also.
I always enjoy Lanvin shoes, as they always create an atmosphere and a certain look and styling that is identifiable immediately, but next time a major mood shift would be welcome.

This is true, but what use is a dress you can't be photographed in? There are also a number of subsequent dresses that are unflattering in motion due to the extra fabric around the hips (probably useful for sitting, I don't know).

As usual, there have been a number of comments saying things are identical to previous collections, and as usual, not true. Aren't those first dresses neoprene? I don't remember his using that before ...

After watching the video, I am convinced there's nothing wrong with that last group of dresses that couldn't be fixed by stripping away the gaudy fur, belts, jewelry, and gloves. The circus music at the end seems to reference a spectacle, which it certainly was ...

WWD review
“The future’s not ours to see,” Alber Elbaz serenaded the enthralled guests who had just taken in the fall Lanvin fashion show that marked his 10th anniversary at the house.

The lyrics were particularly appropriate in this season of volatility elsewhere, and for Elbaz’s career, in crisis mode in 2001 after his brief tenure at Yves Saint Laurent came to an abrupt end. Few, probably least of all Elbaz himself, would have predicted that little more than a decade later his star would be among fashion’s brightest, his success sprung from a delectable cocktail of self-deprecation, incredible talent and an oft-stated belief in exactly who comes first. “I do not design for journalists,” Elbaz loves to say. “I design for women.” And we believe him. He lives the mantra season after season — even if the gentleman doth protest too much on the matter of his work’s editorial resonance.

On Friday night, Elbaz threw a party — a fashion party and a party party. Setting up the latter, after the show, the set backdrop opened to reveal the designer on stage with a band, above them an immense glittering chandelier anchoring a network of lights strung up with little apparent regard for perfection. After Elbaz took his bow and Joey Arias finished the song, the party was on.

A genuine sense of warmth and happiness for Elbaz permeated the event. He has proven himself a soulful member of the fashion community. It’s hard not to like and root for him. But nice-guy status only goes so far. Elbaz’ star ascended first and foremost because of the clothes, which from the outset struck a chord with women who connect on a deeply personal level to their artfully wearable, adult allure.

Typically, an elegant mood defines the designer’s runway. This time, he put that attitude on celebratory sabbatical in favor of a presentation almost manic in its pace and visual stimuli. Luckily, the clothes were beautiful, bold and at times, riotously fanciful. And always, they made sense. “The responsibility is no longer just about making a nice piece,” Elbaz said in a preview. “You have the responsibility on one hand to work on the vision, so you have to bring the newness, and it also has to have a zipper. How do you work with both?”

As it turns out, quite well, particularly when one of your signatures is a wide, curve-accentuating zipper running down the back of a dress. Elbaz said that he wanted this collection to be neither retrospective nor one-note. That said, he addressed favorite motifs while focusing mainly on a curvy silhouette, which he took in numerous directions.

He opened with vibrant body dresses worked in a scuba-worthy foam that gave structure to peplums and collar frills, and ended with indulgent cocktail wonders in whimsical floral prints he did himself, the looks finished with bright gloves, stoles, plastic-and-mirrors surrealist jewelry and shoes soled in crystals. In between were racy black leathers, high-glam golden brocades with matching boots, hourglass looks with monster jeweling and a charming left-field party frock on Karlie Kloss. It all made for a wonderful, frenetic romp — one that should continue to the selling floor. Joyeux anniversaire, Alber!

I don't really know what to make of this collection. The first impression, of those extremely saturated, almost architecturally ruffled opening pieces, was pretty good, a mix between severity and frivolity. Then I started seeing the black looks, many with that heavy embellishment and/or very exaggerated hips and I didn't really care for it because it felt way too familiar and just not very appealing. By the time I saw images of the evening looks, I really wasn't loving where this collection ended up.

Looking at it again I still am not sure I really love this. I don't find it incoherent, as many do, and I certainly see all of the little touches from 10 years of Elbaz's developing a signature look for the house, but I don't think the final result lives up to all of those past collections at all. Maybe all of those separate trains of thought - the whimsy, the severity, the color, the embellishment, the print, the ruffles, the texture, the ethereal, the street, the haute, the fun - don't go together all that well when you combine each and every one. Who knows? But the bottom line is that I just don't think this was fitting as a 10th anniversary collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sherylcuddly
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->