The Makeup Help and Tips Thread

i've never used make-up before. i use lip gloss and lip stick, and i have had make-up professionally applied for parties and dance shows, but i've never done it on my own. i don't know where to begin, nor how to learn, nor what i need to have to achieve a natural and nice look. help. :(

i've never used make-up before. i use lip gloss and lip stick, and i have had make-up professionally applied for parties and dance shows, but i've never done it on my own. i don't know where to begin, nor how to learn, nor what i need to have to achieve a natural and nice look. help. :(

I think you may find the tips in our Starting to wear makeup: Makeup for beginners thread helpful :flower:

Hi,
I'm going to a Brit awards afterparty tonight (soon) and I have no idea on how to wear my hair and makeup, can you please help me? I'm wearing a simple black outfit, with nude tights and heels. I have blue eyes, medium thick eyebrows and, my hair is beneath the shoulders and chestnut colored, if that mkes any sense? Please, give me some tips as soon as possible, I need to look fab!

On highlighting:
Best thing: Highlighting. You can use almost anything, and just apply on the areas you want that glow (mostly just above the cheekbones, bridge and tip of your nose, chin and lightly on the forehead. Just don't apply too much).

I usually use:
  • Estee Lauder's Pure Pops Cream Eyeshadow (Golden Seduction). Sadly i can't find it anymore since it was limited edition. It is perfect for my complexion.
  • Calvin Klein's Liquid Crystals (Sunstone)
  • Bobbi Brown's Shimmer Bricks (Sandstone)
You can also use illuminators, such as blanc universel de Chanel, after you applied make up or before. And of course MAC's Strobe Cream.

You can search for illuminators/highlighters and find the ones that suit you best. Other well known products are Benefit's Moon Beam and High Beam.

Okay... I really need help
So... I have oily skin with occasional dry patches. It's usually pretty oily in summer and tends to dry out by the end of winter I am half italian so i have a yellowish/oliveish undertone. I don't have any scars my skin is fairly smooth except for the occasional white head now and then but I've never had a problem with acne. I've been using just BE for the last year and... it looks AMAZING when I apply it but has NO staying power what so ever and i end up looking like i just rolled out of bed by the end of the day. I even use primer...

I dont have a whole lot of experience with makeup I was always a tomboy up until my freshman year of college and that was two years ago... so... does anyone have any tips for me on what sort of concealer/foundations/blushes etc. that I should look into

i appreciate any help and tips... i'm trying to get through this whole thread from the beginning but it may take a bit haha

thanks so much <3

**edit** one more thing
i have really big eyes and i like to show them off the most any tips on eye makeup
and... (i swear this is the last!) i'd like to ease into lipstick something that makes them a bit pinker than usual but nothing like kim mathers pink lol! thank you <3

Last edited by a moderator:
How can I achieve this eye makeup look?
style.com

00160m.jpg

My brother's wedding is next week, and i wanted to do something special with my make-up. I'm no expert, and i don't usually wear much make-up, but i like trying things out to see how they look on me :P

I wanted something natural/classy evening looking. I'm wearing a dark blue dress, does anyone have any suggestions for colors-styles?

I want to try powder foundation.. Can anyone recommend some good brands? I don't want it to look obvious or cake-y on my face, nor do I like the idea of actually being able to feel it all over my skin (which is why I'm staying away from liquid foundation for now).

Second, when looking for the right color, where is the best spot to test it on? The inside of your arm? Your neck? Your face? The task of finding the right shade as well as the bazillion brands I encounter has prevented me from trying foundation at all so I would very much appreciate any tips!

^Tushka...I think you could achieve that sort of look with one or two basic bronze-y eyeshadows. I like Urban Decay Deluxe shadow in Shag or Scratch, although you could use something like MAC Amber Lights for the crease. It's a fairly simple look, just get your lighter bronze-y shade and sweep it over the lid, and then blend it with the darker shade in the crease. It would be really good to do with gold though-either MAC Goldmine or Lancome Bikini Golden as the eyelid shade.

My brother's wedding is next week, and i wanted to do something special with my make-up. I'm no expert, and i don't usually wear much make-up, but i like trying things out to see how they look on me :P

I wanted something natural/classy evening looking. I'm wearing a dark blue dress, does anyone have any suggestions for colors-styles?

Ok I have two suggestions ^_^
If you don't wear much make up, but you want to look special - you could try a bright lip colour? I love navy blue, I think it works really well with both pinks and reds and a lipstick in either colour would brighten your face. Just keep everything else natural - a little blush, eyeliner, mascara, - very simple.

Or, you can play up your eyes. I think the best colour to do this in a simple and natural way, but which can be quite dramatic is gold :woot: Use a very light champagne colour all over the lids and to highlight the brow bone and corners of your eyes. Then use a brighter gold over the lids, and just a little definition on the crease with a brown shadow which has some shimmer to it. Then mascara, bronzer and highlighter, and clear gloss on lips.

You could also mix the two looks but tone them down - so a pale pink lip gloss and pale gold eyeshadow.
:flower:

Any tips on how to apply liquid eyeliner?, so that it looks smooth and natural?

Thanks in advance ^_^ PM me or message me.

liquid eyeliner isn't supposed to look smooth or natural, unless you apply it very very thin right above the lash line.

the liquid liner is rather graphic and severe rather than natural. If I may suggest, a powder eyeshadow in either a dark espresso brown or blk and a smudge brush, pressing over the lash line without making it too thick and going too far out, you'll achieve a natural look on your eyes.

solg, you look flawless as is (guiding myself from the waywt pics), I think you should just stick to the neutral colors so you dont feel akward wearing a lot of makeup, or something you're not comfortable with.

an event this special isn't really the time to try new things, cause the pics are there to stay :lol: ya know?

I may suggest a very sheer concealer under the eyes and spot concealer if necessary, a bit of loose powder to set it all with a wedge sponge, then smooth it out with a brush.

i'd wash my eyelids with some champagne/ash bronzey (stick to green undertone bronze not red) to contour the eyelid and outer bottom eye area, some black mascara on top lashes, brown on bottom lashes (if you use mascara on the bottom ones).

as for the cheeks and lips, i'd do a sheer bronzer, maybe if you want those cheekbones to pop a bit, with a very soft brush, i'd pick up some of that bronze shadow on your eyes and apply it lightly on the hollows of your cheek to create a slight iridecense, but practice this out ffirst cause too much face powder/blush/bronzer application over eachother might make you look grey on the cheek area. dont ask me how this happens but it happens a lot :lol: if anything, just some bronzer and a nude gloss will do.

liquid eyeliner isn't supposed to look smooth or natural, unless you apply it very very thin right above the lash line.

the liquid liner is rather graphic and severe rather than natural. If I may suggest, a powder eyeshadow in either a dark espresso brown or blk and a smudge brush, pressing over the lash line without making it too thick and going too far out, you'll achieve a natural look on your eyes.

Thank you. ^_^

I bought both liquid eyeliner and a darker eyeshadow to try both ways. I've been practicing the thicker line above my lashes. How do I achieve the thinner look right above the lash line? I get the shakes when I try too hard and mess it up.... :doh:

yeah it takes a lot of practice. i would get really close to the mirror, and with one hand stretch out your eyelid to make your lashline flat instead of curved, then grab the liner with the other hand and slightly touch your lashes as you're going over the lashline, that'll help make the line less thick, and of course make sure you're not making the wand too wet or too dry, it has to be the perfect amount of liner so you dont have to go over it again or too wet to clean up.

does that make sense?

ok.. so I have the Shu Uemura eyelash curler but since I never wear makeup.. I have no idea how to use it. I need help :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessRW
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->