Youth, Teens & HS trends

loubylou

Reaction score
taking the liberty to move the following posts their very own freestanding thread which was seriously missing from our forum
Lena
WhiteLinen said:
This arty/depressed trend which is popular amongst teens should end. It does not make anyone look anymore interesting or profound.

Agreed.

But then I'm pretty much of the opinion that any 'teen' trend should end. And I'm 18.

It annoys me when girls of my age or younger think they have already 'lived' and attempt to reflect this in their style. I like being young, it means I can make mistakes, change my style from week to week and by a new wardrobe every few months. Part of the fun of discovering your personal style is the experimental journey.

The ages of people at my university are blatantly obvious. Not because the clothing is neccessarily different, but the older ones just look so much more comfortable. Less try-hard. And that is the operative word.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm...I agree, but on the other hand, I do not like experimenting for experimenting's sake. Sometimes I feel young people have to be excited about new things and constantly craving for something new. I like quite minimalistic and classic style and do not get very tempted to experiement, while I do think I am evolving style wise. I do not think I have found the perfect style for me, but neither do I feel like I have to have many different styles...well, I don't think about having a certain style, but if you take a look at my wardrobe, I would say almost everything matches.

I wish the trend of having to have a certain style would end. People should wear what they find interesting, not think about being a certain style.

Relaxed style is the best - try-hard never looks good.

Yeah, I think you pretty much rephrased what I thought in my head but didnt write on the page!

Generally speaking, I know what I like, but I just have times when I feel I need to move it along a little.

I'm interested in 'trends' to an extent, but mainly from the perspective of is this something I like? I never like looking overdone. Probably why alot of my clothing is vintage or second hand.

I will admit that I am somewhat of a fan of urban outfitters, but I hate the people who shop in there. Even in the UK it's become a hipster magnet.

Yes, but I just wanted to clear if we were talking about the same thing.

But sometimes it feels trying too hard to keep away from "mainstream" you only end up looking either snobbish or try-hard.

I think it is always interesting to see what trends are in the collections, what trends unite the collections. Especially those trends which are not "huge" but for example couple of clever members here have spotted.

I pretty much agree with everything loubylou and whitelinen have just said. I'm at art college so as you can imagine there are plenty of pretentious people there who try dressing in a certain hipster style. Everyday I go in it's like a fashion/style competition. I wear what I like to wear and feel comfortable in (although I do like to wear things I wouldn't normally too just to keep it interesting) but some girls and guys seem to be trying so hard to impress by going all out...and I'm talking everyday.

yeah im in highschool and i always have that argument with myself. i always sound like a hypocrite that you know what let them do what they want to do cuz highschool is also part of finding your personal style and so free to wear whatever the hell you want. its quite fun. its highschool so most of them are just about attention or try to make themself more individualistic. Personally, i would like people to like me for who i am not what how multicoloured and how emo i am. i dont want ppl to like to me for my style i want them to like me. its really frustrating that so many ppl are like that but its highschool so you have no choice but tolerate. I ask myself all the time if they didnt have the hair the style what do this ppl really have to offer? this is the reason why im so bland and ppl dont like me very much even though i believe i have personality it isnt enough to attract ppl. But i dont want to attract those kind of people anyway and i dont want my Peak year to be highschool i have better goals in life.:P

comfortable with yourself is not a real motto everyone goes by.:P

High school fashion is just....... :shock: :blink: :doh:

Seriously, if I see one more emo or pair of Chucks, I'm gonna scream. Or something like that.

^Well this is all assuming that high schoolers are about keeping up with the trends... which MANY arn't. Many suffice by whatever is in Abercrombi and Fitch or Hollister.. or w/e the most popular stores in the area are and what the "cool kids" all wear.

I actually had a guy say to me the other day, upon looking at a class photo back when I was in the 8th grade (i'm a senior now).. "Emily, why don't you dress like this anymore??"-- I was wearing a tight tight shirt, too short, with a nifty "Holister" slogan across the front. I kindly explained to him that the time comes when you realize it's far easier being yourself than anyone else. I like how I dress, thank you very much, and I need not show off my t*ts and *** to fit a hormonally crazy boys ideal.

I agree with everyone though, that being comfortable is the way to go. If your not, it shows, and its unfortunate to witness!

at my school, it seems to be all about "standing out" but still trying to fit in. for example, a dooney and bourke is an "accepted" bag to carry around, but others will still think that person is unique for carrying it, because not everyone actually has it. there are a lot of other high school trends this could apply to, like converse, etc...

I avidly follow the trends for ideas and I really love some of them, like the patchwork, but if I'd wear a patchwork skirt here with everyone else wearing overbleached denim, beat-up loafers or sneakers and sequined cropped cardigans ... That's the biggest trend over here.
It's not that I don't feel comfortable dressing unlike everybody else and I don't think that I have more or less style than the rest of them but I'm a live-and-let-live kind of person and I really hate that everywhere I go I still see that combi from above and I'd like to wear something different but I can't really because those people in the sequined cropped cardigans will make snide remarks.
And it's not only the occasional "what is she thinking"-look but people here come right up to you and make horrible and rude remarks. I'm not super-insecure but there's just a certain limit of hostility I can take so I just don't dress the way I'd like to and it makes me a little sad. So I'm not really that comfortable I guess.
I don't think I expressed myself too well but maybe someone understands what I mean :smile:

yeah im in high school..i noticed that lot of more people are into wearing designer clothes now..not even the good ones usually just a tshirt with the logo "versace" on it or something like that..is that how it is anyone else or just at my area?

At my school it is about being super-trendy (which seems to be boho/Kate Moss) for high schoolers and for junior high it is about wearing teen clothes from H&M and other brands like that. The key word would be "lipgloss", that is the first word that comes to my mind when I think of it. Bright colours are everywhere, everything looks a bit tight and all the same. lots of layers and accessories. There are usually items that are popular, ie most of teen girls own them.

Emo-style is also big, but it is more mixed with gothic style. It is of-so-pop to write songs and think "deep" thoughts and be "depressed" over the fact that Mr.X did not look at you (and then they go off considering therapy for this). It's annoying, since they also spoil things...I am afraid to admit I like Plath since they have taken it to THE literature to read and quote, alongside The Virgin Suicides (book and film). Everything is taken seriously.

It's funny, as I do not follow trends that much and loathe youth fashion, I get comments like "you look like my teacher" from the teeny-boppers :wink:

^Hehe, I'm sure people think the same about me!

I've said this once before in the "Trends We're Sick OF" thread and people seemed to relate, so I'll repeat it.

Here's a (very scientific, well-researched) breakdown of how people dress at my school, and probably, in most average, run-of-the-mill American high schools.

30% Wannabe preppy/Hollister/Ambercrombie/American Eagle Outfitters/Any store at the mall that sells low-quality t-shirts for more than $15

30% Emo/Punk/Goth/Scene/Alternative/Anything involving dirty hair and eyeliner

30% Wannabe hip hop/Rap/Gangster (Yeah kids, we draw from NO low-income housing. Way to fake it!)

10% Nerd/Geek (Complete with high-waisted, tapered jeans circa 1985)

Hmm well most of the "trends" at my high school have been covered. They honestly don't change that much across the country (probably as other's have said, they are influenced by what's new at Abercrombie and the like) but some interesting things that do come out of my school:

Bandanas... there are tons of kids wearing these just around their legs or wrists and it's not a gang sign either

Tights.... in all different colors with shorts or skirts.

Turning vintage pins found at antique malls into necklaces

I guess off the top of my head those are the "different" things that I have noticed. I actually think the high school trends are interesting. It's just cool to be in a place where there are so many different people with different ideas while all being influenced by the same corporations and then seeing how they translate it into their own fashion. I don't know if that makes sense... but I guess you just have to be in high school to really feel it.

I can't relate to this since there isn;t one high school in my country where kids can wear their own clothes... personal style only really evolves after school over here, or sadly, not at all.

^yeah, same here. although kids will somehow find a way to wear converse shoes with their uniforms. :wacko:

WhiteLinen said:
At my school it is about being super-trendy (which seems to be boho/Kate Moss) for high schoolers and for junior high it is about wearing teen clothes from H&M and other brands like that. The key word would be "lipgloss", that is the first word that comes to my mind when I think of it. Bright colours are everywhere, everything looks a bit tight and all the same. lots of layers and accessories. There are usually items that are popular, ie most of teen girls own them.

Emo-style is also big, but it is more mixed with gothic style. It is of-so-pop to write songs and think "deep" thoughts and be "depressed" over the fact that Mr.X did not look at you (and then they go off considering therapy for this). It's annoying, since they also spoil things...I am afraid to admit I like Plath since they have taken it to THE literature to read and quote, alongside The Virgin Suicides (book and film). Everything is taken seriously.

It's funny, as I do not follow trends that much and loathe youth fashion, I get comments like "you look like my teacher" from the teeny-boppers :wink:

Oh. My. God. I had no idea this was an international fad, I thought this was just the US and the UK?!

It annoys the hell out of me too. When I moved up to Manchester at the beginning of September I decided to bring with me a few posters from home to warm the place up. Imagine my horror when I walked round the university halls and found that almost everyone had the same 'A Clockwork Orange' poster as me. When I asked if they enjoyed the book, 99.9% said they hadnt read it and one person attempted to correct me, saying, 'Oh no, its a film, not a book!!!' Some people hadnt even watched the film, they just bought it because it was 'cool.' Bleurgh!!!

Slightly off topic, if you do get the chance, please check out this book, it's a brilliant read. Makes you stop and think. Which we all need to do at times :blush:

loubylou said:
Oh. My. God. I had no idea this was an international fad, I thought this was just the US and the UK?!

It annoys the hell out of me too. When I moved up to Manchester at the beginning of September I decided to bring with me a few posters from home to warm the place up. Imagine my horror when I walked round the university halls and found that almost everyone had the same 'A Clockwork Orange' poster as me. When I asked if they enjoyed the book, 99.9% said they hadnt read it and one person attempted to correct me, saying, 'Oh no, its a film, not a book!!!' Some people hadnt even watched the film, they just bought it because it was 'cool.' Bleurgh!!!

Slightly off topic, if you do get the chance, please check out this book, it's a brilliant read. Makes you stop and think. Which we all need to do at times :blush:

I would get a poster just because it looked "cool." I'm not gonna pretend to know everything, if I like something like a poster I'm gonna get it and use it whether I've read the book or watched the movie doesn't matter. :ninja: I do get sick of EMO, but then I think, maybe those people are having emotional problems from just being teens, hormones or whatever. Besides, If they want to dress the way they like, and listen to the music they like then good for them. :innocent:

I've seen the film a thousand times, but unfortunately have not read it...I've been having a low point with reading during the last years (how times have changed; I read Tolkien's LOTR when I was seven...). But I have always known it is based on a book, and the film is just Kubrick's version of it. I can even tell a story about how Anthony Burgess tried to get into a cinema to watch the film. But this is criminally off-topic :wink:

All the things that are supposed to have some thought are being hyped with teens because of how deep and cool they are...I have had to re-think about a lot of things after that.

I remember some years ago one girl whom I go to school with was announcing she was an expert in knowledge about the history of (popular) music. She did not know what was Led Zeppelin and who Kurt Cobain was...and if you go around prancing about how you know all about the music history of the 20th century, with her answers I would just shut up.

One thing that is popular is believing everything media says...why can't they use their own brains?

Teen angst is everywhere...why can't these people just go on and enjoy their life as they do not have any actual problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valkirius
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->