• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Youth, Teens & HS trends

Lovely810 said:
I've seen those "kiddie backpacks" all over my school. It has been like that for the past three years. I really dont the appeal of those backpacks.

OK, cool. They've been around since I was a sophmore (2 years ago). Yeah, I don't get it either! They're so tiny, I don't understand what purpose it could even serve besides looking like it does.

Fortunately most people at my school don't care about fashion, just plain jeans and fitted tees. I like it. Then there's the few "Mean Girls" style girls, whom everybody else thinks looks tacky. We're not that bad.

trends in high school are all about conformity...MOST of the time. I don't blame them...i was probably like that myself. It's natural and normal psychologically to conform to your peers. Style is not what makes you cool...it is the 'A&F' or 'TNA'(in Toronto)...or i dunno what other brands are cool among high schoolers anymore...but often it's that BRAND/LOGO that categorizes you

Adolescents are still going through that 'identification' stage...that 'who am i stage' and it reflects in their fashion choices. Of course, this is generalizing...but it's quite nice to see the change from conformity to individualization when people hit university and the working world.

ughh..too much 'social developemtnal psychology' in my head right now...stupid midterms :D

xmodel citizen said:
Hey, does anyone have the "kiddie backpack" thing going on in their school/town? It's just a small child's backpack with some sort of cartoon on it. I've seen Dora the Explorer, Spiderman, Bob the Builder, polly Pocket, Cars, Barbie, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles etc etc. I thought maybe it was just my school, but I went across town and saw the same thing.
YES! Probably the biggest one seen is Spongebob, but one girl came to school one day wearing a Spongebob one and it worked since everyone knows her hero is the guy who voices Spongebob-she is OBSESSED.

Anywhoo the high school I went to was quite interesting. You had a lot of kids who didn't really care; they wore their North Face fleeces, jeans, Uggs or Birkenstocks, sweats, you name it. You would have some of the A&F kids who wore the miniskirts, leggings, beaded necklaces, and what not. However my town was interesting because if you lived west of Aurora, for the most part you were richer and you were in the first two groups. If you lived east of it, you weren't as rich. There were a LOT of kids who were the jeans, tacky shirt, fake bags because they tried to look rich. It wasn't even the teenage prep look, it was quasi-gangster, all mallrat. Throughout high school I didn't really follow any of the trends...I was an east person but I mixed pieces to create my own look and it evolved over time.

The interesting thing is though, I now am shopping at Hollister but that's because I like their polo shirts, they are the most comfortable ones I've been able to find, and I like their tees because they are $15.50 but still lightweight and comfortable. My philosophy? If I like it, I wear it unless it looks tacky.

The kiddie backpack thing is huge in Australia too, especially amongst emo/scene/etc. kids. At recess the emos walk around with their Ninja Turtles bags and their big hair and think they're the coolest people in the world. You don't even need to carry around a backpack during recess so I guess it's more of an essential emo accessory than a backpack.

At my school people usually just follow trends, or are emo, or wear jeans and t-shirts, usually surf branded clothes as we don't have A+F, American Eagle etc. over here. Usually the international students from Japan and Korea look cool and different. You can tell they haven't bought any clothes from Australia.

I wear what I feel like. Some days I feel like wearing a polo shirt & chinos, and other days I might dress like an indie kid or whatever. I dunno, I guess I go through daily phases.

^ Me too! My mood changes evryday. Sometimes I slum it and wear my ripped jeans with my brown hoodie, sometimes I go "faux goth", etc etc. I actually do get compliments when I go more "fancy". I want to experiment with different looks, but sometimes I'm afraid. Generally the reaction is good, but I feel a bit odd wear a trench coat or an empire waist black lace top with heels when everyone else is wearing a Hollister shirt and jeans.

I dunno, how do these things get started? It's so odd that we live all over the world, but the kids dress the same :P

I've noticed that clutches have become a trend amongst teens here.

I find it almost sad that so many people, apparently at every high school, including mine, dress so.. average; looking as if they don't even acknowledge the fact that they look exactly the same as almost everyone else. It is certainly not a problem to not care how you look, but a high school student who wears an abercrombie logo hoodie every single day... well that is most likely a different story.

Dressing "different" (but not just to look different) is personally something i can respect because i think it's fun... however, it is unfortunate that how one dresses in high school is such a status symbol, and what is even more unfortunate is how people are labeled because of it..

perhaps this is why so many hold back.

In my experience there are lots of kids who dress "emo" because their friends do, while completely lacking the ideals of, perhaps, the kid they admire so much... and a clueless emo boy is just as bad as a clueless abercrombie boy imo....

kisa said:
I'm a teen too, but I don't think I've ever seen a look I like on hel-looks.com. It all looks so contrived to me, different strokes for different folks! :ninja::yuk:

I completely agree with the contrived thing, and it does look so false a lot of the time!

But... I do have to say occasionally I like certain looks which are false.

I don't know if I have a "teeny" style. I don't know about anywhere else, but living in a place like Slough you get a lot of "gansters" and "rudeboys" and people who think they look really hard. Now though, it seems like the whole "emo" look in coming into Slough and I really hate it! :yuk:

Anyone know what I mean?

I've noticed just recently that it seems like almost every girl is trying to channel Gwen Stefani. They're just trying to be different. And it's a disastrous result. I'm talking Yellow knee-high socks, destroyed denim mini skirts, and the novelty character children's tee. I hope this fades quickly!

in my school its lots of uggs, leggings, a & F, and it used to be northfaces but not anymore. juicy sweats are pretty big but not the whole outfit together cause thats kinda awful. im prob the only one in my school who wears whatever they want

i try not pay attention to what goes on in my school so much when it comes to fashion because i dont want that to have an affect on any of my decisions.

i do agree that there is an increasing number of highschoolers that actually TRY to be diffrent. it's actually quite comical and OBVIOUS.

trust me, i see this day in and day out being that my school shares the buliding with "the arts academy" and mostly all of them value their artifical individuality with their expressive little lives.

i personally, like to take my time when making style decisions, and i'm glad to say that i'm nowhere near finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
My school, Holister and A&F just became ubiquitous, when I say ubiquitous, I mean ubiquitous. Everyone HAS to wear a t-shirt or hoodie with a logo tatooed on the chest. I also see an increase in hipster for some reason....

^Uhhh same thing at my school. WHY did they have to come to Canada?!? :yuk:

I'm noticing more girls trying to be really trendy, and it ends up looking nasty. I saw this girl wearing a skull print scarf wrapped around her head, oversized sunglasses, Juicy Couture sweater, TNA fur trimmed jacket, TNA pants, Uggs, and a metallic hobo purse. I wanted to say: "lay off the magazines for a while and try something original!" .... but I held my tongue. :ninja:

Oy, I saw a girl today wearing tan Uggs, a horrible fake tan, ratty brown hair with obvious bleached streaks, a miniskirt, gold top with with mini-jacket, huge sparkly gold belt around the waist, and a bright gold headband. This look is gaining momentum here! Everywhere I turn I see ratty hair, Uggs and lots of gold complete with a tacky fake bag :yuk:

Famous Stars and Straps is a popular brand here for boys (and some girls), but I don't mind it :P

all the guys at my school wears famous stars and straps too or those billionare boys club jackets. the girls all wear victoria secret pink sweats with uggs.. yuckkkky. :/

Do you guys see people out and about wearing trackpants and looking like they woke up and didin't even get dressed? Everyday girls come to school wearing generally huge trackpants, a t-shirt and flip-flops, along with messy bed hair. Quite frankly, I think it looks disgusting! Sure, you're not going out to dinner or whatever but at least put some effort into looking presentable :huh:

As for emo trends taking over the world, we have the Internet to thank for that :doh: !

Everyone at my school just wears Zara or Mango and any other brand is not acceptable. I don't wear either of them often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chelseaboys
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->