The Makeup Help and Tips Thread

i'm liking the 'awake' one :flower: lovely fresh use of colour :heart:
i'm always a fan of simple natural looks with sculpted cheekbones . . NARS/chantecaille/YSL are great but it does help that the models have fab cheekbones to start off with :rolleyes:

Originally posted by tealady@Apr 8th, 2004 - 5:24 pm
Here's my first tip for achieving those looks: organize airbrushing 24/7. :P :lol:
haha excatly!

Hi every one!

Would somebody give me some hints about basic makeup?
I mean covering imperfections+zits+undereye shadows...

I´ve read something about this but maybe you can give me some interesting links about this, or magazine articles I can read in the internet.
I have some books (aucoin/brown) but I´m searching for new ideas on minimal makeup...

My main questions are:

Foundation (for every day) yes or not?
Concealers....liquid or creamy?
Setting powder yes or not?

I really like the basic faces I see in models and actresses (What journalists naively call bare-face in interviews HAHAHAHA) but I somehow end up applying too much...or looking made up instead of fresh faced!!!! :wacko:

Thanks in advance to all the glorious souls who can help me in this...

:flower: :flower: :flower:

I don't know much (I'm sure Ale does...he has a magic lanta full of information)...

However, if your boyfriend wears white shirts then use mascara that sets dry onto the lashes...because if it goes on shirts it's a **** to get off... :innocent:

You can use foundation every day if you keep your skin healthy and use the proper formula for your skin type. I use less during the day and always use a foundation brush for a natual, even application with out the bacteria that lives in sponges :yuk:

concealers-creamy for under eyes. Formulas that are good for covering blemishes, etc, are usually to dry looking under the eyes. I always use two different formulas.

powder to set-always unless your skin is really dry. I like loose powder with a brush to set, pressed powder for touch ups.

I love to answer these questions, so ask away!

Thanks T!

My main problem is with MINIMUM makeup...The one you use for weekends or just to have a coffee with a friend without looking like a corpse (with pimples Yuck!)

I seem to never get right minimalistic makeup, or the makeup you use to just cover imperfections and fake good skin. When I paint my face (foundation+eyeliner+mascara...the full monty) it looks very good, but when it´s only the basics I always get lost. I put concealer, and then a little setting powder and then I look weird...!

Is it the amount I´m wearing?
Is it the products?
Is it the tools?

I don´t have dry skin but powder seems to look funny on me withour foundation...
How should I apply it if I still want a dewy look on my face (more natural than a matte face at 9.00 am)

Thanks again to let me vent my existential deepest problems.... :flower:

Try mixing your foundation with moisturizer. I hate to look like I have makeup on, but my face is sometimes a bit pinker than I want it (stupid adolescence...). Just be sure that you don't use something that will leave your face oily. I use Olay Complete with UV defense (unscented) every day because it makes my skin feel nice without any residue. I feel cleaner and softer with it on. Only when I need a bit of coverage do I add some foundation. It kind of makes my skin look glowy and nice rather than powdery. The idea is also to keep the foundation from getting too thick and masklike.

You can also get tinted moisturizers. I've never tried them, but I've heard that they work nicely. If you have lots of wrinkles (as in, you look over fifty or sixty, I think, not just the little ones of your thirties and forties) and you use foundation, do not use powders because they emphasize lines. I just read that somewhere and it makes sense.

After the foundation (if you do use some--not too much, though), you might want to add a hint of blush (if you feel that you need it) and perhaps a stroke of mascara (depending on your eyes). A very subtle lip balm or maybe a tint could be nice on your lips--the bare minimum to make them look fresh and healthy (not dry), but not overdone. I like to put on a little balm so that they aren't dry, but I don't like anything shiny. I think it depends on your look, though. You may want more color (especially if you're older).

What is your coloring like? What kind of makeup looks best on you? My stepmother, for example, puts on a bit of blush and some mascara and looks fabulous because she has really high cheekbones and eyes that mascara really opens up. The look is light, but stunning. She also uses lipstick, but you really notice her eyes and her coloring. My mom's staples, on the other hand, are lipstick and a little blush. Her eyes don't look very different with mascara, so she never bothers.

When the two of them get dressed up, they may use more makeup in different ways, but their slightly lighter looks show which products show off their faces best. They're also both way older than I am, though :P (in their forties, but both very young-looking), so certain things that they do are more important than they would be for me. My mom likes to use lipstick because she thinks her lips have gotten thinner and less colorful with her age, but I never use lipstick because it makes me look really old.

I haven't made my point very clear. Not that that's typical or anything... :innocent: The point of talking about my mom and stepmom is that different things look best on different ages, colors, and general face structures. If you have a darker complection and, say, really dark eyelashes naturally, maybe lipstick looks smashing (but in a natural way for this look). Maybe a touch of mascara opens up your face. Maybe you're pale and just a hint of blush makes you glow.

You probably know what type of product looks really good on you. Experiment with very light product use in a couple of areas (aside from your skin) and see what looks best and most natural with your face. I would advise you to avoid eyeliner and to keep anything else extremely light.

I almost never use make-up other than to cover skin blemishes, though, so you might not want to pay attention to any of what I said aside from the skin advice. :blush: I kind of went on a tangent. :innocent: Sorry about the novel!

So sweeeeeeet and very educational eloes! Thanks a looooot!

I´m 37 and I don´t have wrinkles...but I still break out frequently (what a drag!)
I´m gonna try some of the hints you gave me tomorrow...Yeah I gotta be braver with a little blush and mascara...It really makes a difference lin people my age (let´s say Sarah Jessica Parker).

Thanks again! :flower:

What do you use for your breakouts? I used to have them and now it is almost never thanks to the Murad Acne kit on Sephora. Proactive is good too, but this is the best I have ever tried.

The suggestion to mix foundation with moisturizer is good-I like Mac Strobe Cream b/c it has light reflective particles in it that perfect the look of the skin and it doesn't feel oily. When I go really light on makeup I only use under eye concealer, a little foundation on nose and cheeks, and Strobe everywhere else. Set with a touch of powder.

as far as tools go:

*again, the foundation brush is fantastic for blending everything.

*use a big, fluffy brush to dust a light amount of loose powder on to set makeup without looking cakey.

if you still need help, let me know what products you use

Originally posted by tgp@Apr 28th, 2004 - 8:42 pm
What do you use for your breakouts? I used to have them and now it is almost never thanks to the Murad Acne kit on Sephora. Proactive is good too, but this is the best I have ever tried.

The suggestion to mix foundation with moisturizer is good-I like Mac Strobe Cream b/c it has light reflective particles in it that perfect the look of the skin and it doesn't feel oily. When I go really light on makeup I only use under eye concealer, a little foundation on nose and cheeks, and Strobe everywhere else. Set with a touch of powder.

as far as tools go:

*again, the foundation brush is fantastic for blending everything.

*use a big, fluffy brush to dust a light amount of loose powder on to set makeup without looking cakey.

if you still need help, let me know what products you use
Where can you find Murad Acne Kit? This may sound stupid but ever since the agency's model apartment was moved to Broad st. in downtown Manhatten Ali has been having trouble with her skin breaking out. The weird part is it's not just her but some of the other model's too. Do you think it's possible that the enviroment in that area is somehow polluted. I know how crazy this sounds,but we are at a loss to explain it. She's never had problems before and when she comes home it clears up. :wacko:

They have it on sephora.com. It comes in a little can for around $30. I swear by it, esp. the exfoliating acne gel.

I just looked and it is the Acne Complex Starter Kit-$30

Honestly, what I would do is find a salon or a make up store and ask if they have make up lessons there. I'm taking some make up lessons really soon at a salon or a make up store(which ever one is easier/better for me). Its easier that way.

for minimum makeup, try tinted moisturizer, or a light powder foundation over illuminating primer --- this is what I do and I don't use liquid foundation.
I use a liquid concealer which is rather creamy, the runny ones tend to be too sheer and dry for my undereye while the cream ones are not easy enough for me to blend, and also crease.
anyway, it always depends on your own skin condition. my problem is my dark circles so I need a nice undereye concealer with decent coverage, other than that, my skin is absolutely fine with no need of coverage from liquid foundations.

books you should get:

Bobby Brown Beauty and Kevyn Aucoin Making Faces...these are great books. Bobby Brown rights in an accessible way and understands the everyday woman. Aucoin was such a great spirit and it shows in his book. He offers great tips for everyday and also amazing tips for dramatically changing your look.

Check these books out! you can get them really cheap on amazon.com used section if you are concerned about buying makeup books that you wont use often

Originally posted by sugarpea@May 2nd, 2004 - 7:44 pm
Bobby Brown rights in an accessible way and understands the everyday woman.
please excuse my grammatical mistake (rights instead of writes) ugh...thats bad :yuk:

I have very fair skin (almost completely white), blue eyes and blonde hair (I recently died it blonde from my original brown). Everytime I put on makeup it looks awful. i like to wear black around my eyes but I don't know how. Can anyone help me?

go for bronzey gold shadows if you want a classic look.
but i think you sound like you could pull off some brighter bolder colors, pinks, greens, purples will all look gorgeous on you. :smile:
i would really recommend finding an orange shadow b/c orange shadow makes blue eyes POP!?
if you think black looks too harsh try a smokey grey eye paired with a nude lip. :smile: then as you get more confident you can start using black.
i'd just recommend that if you line with black only line the upper lid as if you line all the way round it looks racoonish :yuk:

hope that helps :flower:

I know your situation. I'm so light that they don't have my shade of concealer in the stores and have to get it specially ordered. I have blue eyes as well. My hair is naturally a dirty blonde with red in it but I dye it to a pretty much platinum color.

Might I suggest going to one of the counters in the mall? Its free and they usually do a pretty good job, and you can get some ideas.

In regards to black around your eyes, maybe a dark brown eyeliner and mascara would be better. Regarding other things, it all depends on the undertones of your skin. If they're more brown, go for light pinks, greens, and blues. Nothing too bright or you'll look too harsh and it'll bring out any imperfections in your skin. If you have pink undertones, go for the bronzey shadows they mentioned below and maybe a gold/brown lipstick (I recommend Wet Shine).

If you could post a picture of yourself we could better tell what type of undertones you have, etc. :flower:

Or is the problem in your make-up application?

For that I just recommend practice, practice, practice!

One tip I have for eyeliner is to go as close to the eye as you can but with a thick line. I then put contact solution on a q-tip and go back and fix any errors. The contact solution is sensitive so it won't hurt your eyes and it does a great job taking off the eyeliner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacksonwreath
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->