The Makeup Help and Tips Thread

softgrey said:
yeah kimkhuu...LOL...
i admit it doesn't really turn me on the way it does for some people...
and every time i'm on a shoot and ask a make up artist for tips..they just tell me i don't need make up really...*sigh*...
they say that when you have dark hair and dark brows and lashes...that it's like naturally having make up on...becuase your face is framed and your features are highlighted...so just a cheek and lip...(how boring is that?!?!...)...

oh no! LOL. sorry petal.:rolleyes: :heart: :flower:

thx helena and hanne ...poor me...boo hoo... :cry:

maybe i should get this touche eclat?...
i got a great concealer...the best ever...from no.7 at boots in london...i know...so cheap...but really GREAT!!!...same brush and pump action as i guess this ysl stuff...

what do you guys think of benefits high beam?...i have that...is it sort of the same?... :unsure:

softgrey said:
and every time i'm on a shoot and ask a make up artist for tips..they just tell me i don't need make up really...*sigh*...
they say that when you have dark hair and dark brows and lashes...that it's like naturally having make up on...becuase your face is framed and your features are highlighted...so just a cheek and lip...(how boring is that?!?!...)...

i've never coloured my hair either...because it's so dark...people always ask me what colour i use and whether it's natural...
part of me feels like i'm missing out on this big ritualistic part of being a girl... :unsure: :lol:

i'm very low maintenance...but i'm willing to put in some effort if the results are worthwhile... :flower:

oh...and as much as i splurge on clothing...i'm totally cheap when it comes to make up...i cannot STAND wasting money...and since i don't know what is good...i hate buying stuff i'm not sure about...spending $30-$50...and then realizing it doesn't work...so i have to go buy something else and spend even more $$$...i might as well take $100 and throw it in the trash... :( :cry:
especially since i'm rather clueless...

You are so lucky Softie...if I don't wear makeup I look all washed out..you can't see my brows my eyelashes etc..just blah..I wish I could walk out the door having just donned a gloss and a blush..but people would probably ask me if I was sick :lol:

I think I'm mostly the opposite of you when it comes to splurging/being cheap with regards to clothes and make-up..
If my face is nicely made..I can wear anything (almost) and feel great..but seperate me from my essential make up and put me in great clothes..I'd still feel blah.

touche eclat is great. I really like it.

No 7 stuff is really good. I use their mascara.

Hanne said:
You are so lucky Softie...if I don't wear makeup I look all washed out..you can't see my brows my eyelashes etc..just blah..I wish I could walk out the door having just donned a gloss and a blush..but people would probably ask me if I was sick :lol:

funny you should say that Hanne - I wore no makeup earlier this week to work & someone said 'oh no are you ill?' - because my lashes and eyes are pale. My brows are ok - light brown I suppose

helena said:
funny you should say that Hanne - I wore no makeup earlier this week to work & someone said 'oh no are you ill?' - because my lashes and eyes are pale. My brows are ok - light brown I suppose

I hear you Helena :flower:
...seee Softie..you're very lucky! If a make up artist got her hands on me she'd/he'd have a field day while you get "you don't need it"

softgrey said:
what do you guys think of benefits high beam?...i have that...is it sort of the same?... :unsure:

Nope..and yes..I wouldn't put it under my eyes..but I would put it on my browbone..a little thin bit along the nose, lips..
as a matter of fact if you do a search of benefits high beam I'm sure there allready is a thread discussing its uses ..I remember posting in one :flower:

Hanne said:

I think I'm mostly the opposite of you when it comes to splurging/being cheap with regards to clothes and make-up..
If my face is nicely made..I can wear anything (almost) and feel great..but seperate me from my essential make up and put me in great clothes..I'd still feel blah.

make up artists and hair stylistss always tell me i'm lucky...but i stil feel left out of the pretty party...

but i just got out of the shower...and i realized that the time you guys spend on make up...i have to spend on hair removal...so maybe it's just a trade off...

i have to say though...playing with make up sound like much more fun than shaving... :doh: :ninja:

:lol:

ok good...i'm gonna go look at the touche eclat stuff...thx ladies... :heart:

I get a manicure every week and a pedicure every 2-3 weeks. Also depends if I'm dancing. Since I dance in open toed shoes, I repaint my toes after every night/performance.
I get it done at a nail salon in Brooklyn.
BTW, softie...perhaps you can try a dark eggplant liner instead of the brown one...I think it might be better
:flower:
and give yourself at least 30 minutes. Also, you mentioned concealer....I noticed if I cover up the black and blues under my eyes from lack of sleep, I don't need to put on anything more than mascara. Plus dark liner brings out under eye darkness (if you have any).

softgrey said:
ok..i'm going to practice today...i think it will take 45 min...it always looks better when you spend more time...i guess...plus have to add time to pluck and shape brows...

going to have a spa day i think...

hanne...definitely combination skin...oily and dry in places...that why the combination of the moisturiser and powder...need both...

thanks for all the tips...i'm sure i'll thinnk of more questions...

here's one...how often do you guys get a manicure /pedicure?...
do you do it yourself or go someplace...?
what kind of place do you go?..a hair salon...a nail salon... a spa?...
and on average...how much do you spend on each...

your favourite nail colours?...fingers?...toes?...
is it different from season to season or always the same?...

thanks again... :flower: :heart:

thx sugo...dark eggplant sounds absolutely beautiful...i might actually have some somewhere...i'll have to dig around...

i now have on shiseido -the skincare-essential tinted moistturizer spf 15...
i look like a different person...wow!!!...
and the nude eyeshadow was a great suggestion...thx helena..looks natural but polished...

i ws thinking that with the blk mascara it already looks like i have eyeliner on(so ark)...so i was going to skip it... but now i will go look for eggplant...

softgrey - You lucky brunette - I hope you don't mind but I have a question too!

Which brand makes a natural looking bronzer for pale blondes? The bronzers I've tried in the past have all been too dark for me and I ended up looking like Paris Hilton...please help :flower:

The best way to not ending up looking like Paris Hilton is to use a powder compact that has a shimmery bronzer powder in it. With it you can totally have control of the quantity of tan you're putting on your face and it looks so natural.

softgrey said:

i've never coloured my hair either...because it's so dark...people always ask me what colour i use and whether it's natural...
part of me feels like i'm missing out on this big ritualistic part of being a girl... :unsure: :lol:

i'm very low maintenance...but i'm willing to put in some effort if the results are worthwhile... :flower:

oh...and as much as i splurge on clothing...i'm totally cheap when it comes to make up...i cannot STAND wasting money...and since i don't know what is good...i hate buying stuff i'm not sure about...spending $30-$50...and then realizing it doesn't work...so i have to go buy something else and spend even more $$$...i might as well take $100 and throw it in the trash... :( :cry:
especially since i'm rather clueless...

that's why i think it's important to ask around before splurging...you have no idea how much crap i have in my bathroom...that i don't even touch...so i just stopped for now until i figure out what i'm doing...

you know what i mean???... :blush:

thx for the info on touche eclat too btw... :flower: :heart:

:shock: Is there any possibility we are twins separated on birth? :ninja:

haha nemova...we look pretty similar dear...but i envy your curls...i only have a wave...*sigh*...i had a spiral perm in the 80's ...more than four hours with curlers and chemicals...i cut it all off a month later...couldn't deal with so much hair...
this is the first time i've had it so long since then and i guess i'm feeling girly...LOL...

FYI-i found the eggplant and it's great...thanks sugo...xx
ps...the cab driver was an adorable 20 yr old college student from morocco...
he told me i was beautiful...and said he'd take me to morocco...LOL...
amazing what a little make up will do...HAHAHAHAHA...

btw...the mtg went well...don't know what the outcome will be yet though...
thanks for all the tips ladies...what would i do without you guys...

MWAH!!!!>>> :heart: :kiss:

I do my makeup in the morning... as minimal as possible.. concealer, powder, blush, natural eyeshadow, gloss, and mascara... i don't really reapply.. except my gloss.. sometimes i get the whole mascara undereye thing.. so I check that to make sure I dont look like I had a rough night.

I usually do my manicures and pedicures myself.. but sometimes i do go to have it done at a nail place... i spent 35 on both nails and toes... there's a special on mondays-wednesdays at the place where i go.

I know just what you mean about spending $$ on products you'll never use. I try to be so careful now because yes, I am clueless to a large extent. Ugh, I hate to spend money and then not get anything out of it. :doh:

Kimkhuu said:
The best way to not ending up looking like Paris Hilton is to use a powder compact that has a shimmery bronzer powder in it. With it you can totally have control of the quantity of tan you're putting on your face and it looks so natural.

That sounds good. The bronzer I tried had to be applied with a brush, it was by YSL and was so dark. Is there a particular brand you recommend? I'm really clueless about bronzers...thanks Kimkhuu :flower:

Makeup to Minimize My Honker

I feel self concious about my nose. It tilts slightly (sort of like it's leaning more to one side, it is still up and down straight, but makes a sharper angle on one side of my face, and a softer angle on the other side, if that makes sense), and it's long for my teensy tiny face. I'll try to post a picture. What makeup can I use to make it seem smaller.... Or is that maybe something I just can't do. Someone mentioned using touch eclat (sp?) for making a nose thinner, and that would probably help, because looking head on the middle section is large, so atleast I can make it look like one width.

I wish I had a cute little nose. Sigh.

Even if soemone can give me search terms for this site that would be really helpful, but I tried searching "nose" in the makeup section, and obviously that wasn't very helpful..hehe.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, simple rules, dark colors recede, light colors bring forward...

To create an illusion of a thinner nose, just apply a darker shade of powder, bronzer or concealer on both sides of the nose

A lighter shade around the nose, and in the middle of it...im really tired right now, so ill leave u with a fast sketch on what you should do..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacksonwreath
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->